DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is there a limit on how much an event can be stretched? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/536992-there-limit-how-much-event-can-stretched.html)

Renton Maclachlan September 3rd, 2019 03:01 PM

Is there a limit on how much an event can be stretched?

I'm constructing an animation in Vegas Pro using Particle Illusion. It involves a cannon firing with a muzzle flash and a consequent explosion when the shell lands. I've got the flash in PI and then brought it over into Vegas. However I've found that the flash is so brief that sometimes it is not seen so I want to extend it/give it a longer duration. I've tried time stretching the clip, but have found that I can't go beyond a certain length...which is not enough.
Does this mean that there is a limitation on the amount of stretch that can be applied in Vegas?
Maybe I need to go back into PI and extend the life of the particles...

Renton

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2019 06:38 AM

Re: Is there a limit on how much an event can be stretched?

This was originally posted in Weddings & Events, but it's actually about using the Vegas software, so I've moved it to our What Happens In Vegas forum.

Ken Plotin September 4th, 2019 10:01 AM

In my experience, it always looks better if you fix it in PI. I tend to make that sort of blast a bit longer than needed and add motion blur.
Hope this helps.
Ken

Renton Maclachlan September 7th, 2019 10:34 PM

Opps...sorry for posting in the wrong place...

Seth Bloombaum September 8th, 2019 02:36 PM

It’s been several years since I’ve edited in Vegas, but, IIRC, there are indeed limits on event stretching.

On the timeline you get something like 300%. Then, in clip properties, or maybe in clip motion, you get another 200%. For a total of 600%. I may have some numbers and terms wrong there.

For more than 600 (?), you can render and keep going, or, nest. The one time I needed it, render and reapply stretch worked well.

Graham Bernard September 8th, 2019 10:13 PM

Recently I’ve been using PI in VP17. Extending LIFE in PI is definitely the way to go, it’s far more organic looking and you get more options for sustaining all those analogue looking Layers/Levels.

As an aside, I’m using the latest PI, and IMO is the best UG that’s been made available.

Edward Troxel September 14th, 2019 01:42 PM

The velocity envelope can go much higher now - the max is now 1000%. Combined with the 4x playback rate you can get up to 4000% now.

Renton Maclachlan September 16th, 2019 01:28 PM

In what version? I have 16. How do you go about what you're suggesting?
Renton

Edward Troxel September 20th, 2019 04:09 AM

Renton, just add a Velocity envelope and drag it upwards on the timeline. It will now go to 1000%. This was changed in Vegas Pro 14. Since you are on 16, you can go to 1000% with the velocity envelope.