up-resing video... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 17th, 2020, 09:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: up-resing video...

I think if you were working with high quality HD/4K sources and zooming in 200% or more there could be a case for applying these detail preserving, super-resolution techniques. But for SD, I agree with the others, I don't think you'd gain any benefit and it would likely make matters worse.

As for denoising. Again, personally I prefer using AVISynth/VapourSynth techniques that best target the type and degree of noise that is present. Fine, grainy noise is relatively easy to treat. Blotchy colour-noise is rather more difficult without obliterating detail and introducing more artifacts in the process. Bear in mind also that the human eye is an amazing integrator and can often perceive detail amid noise in moving images that may not be revealed in a single frame especially when viewed at a distance. So it comes down to a compromise of what is the most acceptable 'psychovisual' outcome on the target viewing platform. Maybe consider also if the best outcome is not zooming in on your talking head shots or limiting it to a degree that retains acceptable IQ. In any event, it is best to denoise before any digital zooming/enlargement.

Haven't used Neat Video myself but I know many extol it's virtues.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 17th, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 01:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Christopher.

Just had a look at Neat Video and I'm wondering if I've used the correct terms. The 'noise' as shown on their samples of removal, is not what I'm primarily wanting to remove, although there may be some of that there. Rather it is blockiness/pixelation on the edges/outline of my clothes and head which I would like if possible to smooth out.

Renton
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 03:33 PM   #18
Major Player

Could you post a screen shot to confirm what you are referring to specifically - is it 'pixelation', which is normal when you zoom-in/enlarge a digital image enough to see the individual pixel blocks or is it 'macroblocking' (a compression artifact, sometimes referred to as 'block noise') when objects or areas in a video image appear to be made up of irregular sets of small squares, rather than proper detail and smooth edges.
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:15 PM   #19
Trustee

It is pixelation, not block artefacts...

I have had one interesting situating come about (but this is different to above) where I have rendered out a clip in Vegas to a new track, then on rendering the whole thing out to an .avi file, some artefacts have appeared over a couple of frames in the clip where they never showed before...
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:57 PM   #20
Trustee

I've just has a look at one of the episodes again and think that I will simply leave them as they are.

Thanks for all the ideas offered, even though I am now not going to try anything further. Appreciated.

Now it is on to working out the DVD arrangement for all the files...
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
It is pixelation, not block artefacts...
OK, so it's only when you zoom-in then? In that case, since you are not 'up-resing', the standard 'treatment' would be to blur (Gaussian) and then contra-sharpen to see what detail you can pull back. A trade off, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I've just has a look at one of the episodes again and think that I will simply leave them as they are.
Sometimes it's best leave well enough alone.
Old January 19th, 2020, 08:06 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I know what he’s describing. I once borrowed a pocket camera. I didn’t realize until later that digital zoom was enabled. Everything looked fine while I was shooting but once I imported it on my computer I could see all the zoomed in portions looked awful. As the op said it’s blocky and pixelated, there’s very little you can do to fix it other than to reshoot it.
Attached Images

Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 03:35 PM   #23
Trustee

I won't be reshooting... would mean virtually the whole project would need to be redone from scratch... which aen't gonnna happen :-)
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...