DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best format to render for sharing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/537285-best-format-render-sharing.html)

Renton Maclachlan February 14th, 2020 03:04 AM

Best format to render for sharing

Greetings

I've mentioned in the past the video project I've been working on for ages is now finished. Now I want to share it with a few select people to get their recommendations regarding it (if they so desire), so I can put such recommends on the DVD case cover, and various advertising.

I plan to share it via Dropbox or Google Drive (which has been recommended to me), or such like, so am wanting to render out to the best format for doing this. MPEG2 seems to be the way to go, but I wondered if anyone could advise on which would be the best format out of the render options in Vegas Pro.

I did a trial render using 'MainConcept MPEG-2 > DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream', but as I have never been this way before, don't know if it is the best way to go.

The whole project in .avi come to 70.7GB, so as I believe Google Drive has a 15GB free option, I thought it would be nice to get to that size or under.

Thanks

Renton

Adam Stanislav February 14th, 2020 08:13 AM

Re: Best format to render for sharing

Personally, I would use Handbrake to convert it to an MP4 file of the desirable size.

Renton Maclachlan February 14th, 2020 01:02 PM

What is Handbrake? OK, I found out about it...

Seth Bloombaum February 14th, 2020 03:31 PM

Good recc from Adam. Handbrake creates state-of-the-art h.264/mp4 files that are most compatible across all devices at this point in time.

There’s been more than a few posts on HB you could search on this forum. The only change is that HB now also offers h.265 encoding, which in the future will gain importance for resolutions above 4k. Yes, they’re coming at us fast!

Renton Maclachlan February 14th, 2020 05:29 PM

So... if I went with Handbrake, what would be the best format to convert to? I have absolutely no clues regarding these. I rely completely on recommendations.

Paul R Johnson February 15th, 2020 01:34 AM

Seth mentioned H264 - which renders out as mp4 files which seem to be the most universally friendly and sensibly sized format at the moment.

Renton Maclachlan February 15th, 2020 03:42 AM

Thanks. Will look at it tomorrow... appreciated...

Patrick Tracy February 15th, 2020 08:25 AM

I generally render directly from Vegas Pro 14 to Sony AVC/MVC Internet 1920x1080-30p. My last video was 3:03 and 303 MB. It's the format that seems most compatible with YouTube.

Renton Maclachlan February 15th, 2020 08:30 PM

Well...I downloaded Handbrake and converted all the files over to H 264...easy enough, though I couldn't see how to do a batch conversion. 70.7GB got reduced down to 1.8GB so I can go on the free version of Dropbox...

Seth Bloombaum February 16th, 2020 11:25 AM

Handbrake’s default settings are pretty good, as you’ve discovered.

There is a batch function. Instead of “Start”, select “Add to Queue”. When you’re ready, you can review what you’ve set up with “Show Queue”, then, “Start Queue”.

It’s also one of the fastest encoders out there! I can’t say enough good things about Handbrake, excepting it’s batching is not as state-of-the-art as the rest of it!

Renton Maclachlan February 16th, 2020 08:04 PM

Thanks Seth. I saw there was a batch function, and tried it several times, but only a single file ever came in...so I just converted the files one at a time...

Patrick Tracy February 17th, 2020 03:54 AM

What I've done to get batch convert to work is:

1. Go to File -> Open Source -> click Folder (Batch Scan) -> navigate to source folder -> click Select Folder button (folder will be scanned for files)

2. Open Title dropdown menu -> select file

3. Click Browse button -> navigate to target folder -> name file -> click Save button

4. Repeat 2 and 3 for each file

5. Click Start Encode button

In other words, I manually add each file to the queue and name the new file then batch process the queue. I don't know if there's a quicker way to do it.

Renton Maclachlan February 17th, 2020 01:14 PM

There's button on the start screen for either a single file or (can't remember the words) batch of files. When pressing the latter, it scanned all the files but only insert the first one into the queue.... so I did them all individually. And the conversion was fast!

I really like the Google Drive type of thing. Delivery of my project to various people for review and recommendation is going to be so easy. I sent a link to myself to see how it works, and the files play really really well on my phone. First time ever I've seen any of the files on my phone. Looks very good...even though I say so myself!!

Am thinking now that rather than deliver on DVD first, as I was intending, that I will deliver first online somehow. Means that it can be set up to be seen very quickly and easily for online viewing. Have to find a way of doing this for pay... but have to get the recommendations first...

Renton

Adam Stanislav February 18th, 2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 1957372)
Am thinking now that rather than deliver on DVD first, as I was intending, that I will deliver first online somehow. Means that it can be set up to be seen very quickly and easily for online viewing.

In that case, please make sure to select Web Optimized in the Handbrake Output Settings. That will allow the viewer to start watching the video while it is still being downloaded.

Renton Maclachlan February 18th, 2020 01:32 PM

Thanks for that. I didn't do that with conversion I've already done, but it seems to play OK. I did notice a slight pause at one point but not sure if that is related to this.

Renton