Video delivery options... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 8th, 2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Video delivery options...

I've mentioned that I am looking at delivery options for a video project I've been working on. Initial thought was to supply on DVD (3 disk set), but DVD is dying. Online delivery is definitely a way to go and I will be pursuing that.

However I'm also looking at delivering on USB flash drive. There are some neat ones available now like a credit card which can have artwork on both sides, and I'm talking to a supplier about cost of these with custom artwork which I will supply. It would be a nice easy way to deliver the files on a physical medium. I have been thinking of getting the cards made with my artwork on them, and then I would copy the files to them.

I have a question regarding the files that will go on the flash drives. I could simply copy files to them. However I was wondering if something similar to the way a DVD is set up with a menu etc, can be applied to flash drives to make it easy for viewers. I've had a bit of a look around and there are various way to do it, but the recommended format apparently is H264 and I'm not sure how compatible that is with menus etc.
The easiest for me would be to just copy the files straight onto the flash drive and let the viewers make their selection from the files.

Any thoughts?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 06:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Video delivery options...

Good question....I asked that question while back (perhaps on another forum) and the bottom line is, yes you can put a menu system in a file, but it required more than I was able/willing to do. Unfortunately, I do not remember the details. Looking forward to someone else's take on it.
Old March 8th, 2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd worry about usability of a large credit-card shaped device vs. a standard USB memory stick.
I just looked at the back and side on my television, and there's no way a credit-card sized USB stick would fit into the USB port. :-(
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I’ve purchased usb encasements from https://www.premiumusb.com but they also do usb customizing.

For online delivery I use Vimeo

The best you can do to navigate usb is split your videos into smaller sections. Otherwise there is no menu system like a dvd.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 03:20 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano View Post
I'd worry about usability of a large credit-card shaped device vs. a standard USB memory stick.
I just looked at the back and side on my television, and there's no way a credit-card sized USB stick would fit into the USB port. :-(
Here is the type of thing I'm talking of. Tell me if this would work. I've done a mock-up of the graphics with the series title superimposed over a screen shot on one side and the titles and times of all 13 episodes on the other...and they are quite readable. I confess I really like the idea.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...38403e5foxHDBU
Old March 9th, 2020, 03:23 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I’ve purchased usb encasements from https://www.premiumusb.com but they also do usb customizing.

For online delivery I use Vimeo

The best you can do to navigate usb is split your videos into smaller sections. Otherwise there is no menu system like a dvd.
Thanks. I've sort of come to that conclusion. I'll just put the full episode files on and viewers will choose the episode to view.
Old March 10th, 2020, 06:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Perhaps Amazon's Prime Video Direct may be a useful new source. I haven't investigated how it works, costs, chaptering etc
https://videodirect.amazon.com/home/landing

I dropped Vimeo completely a few months ago in anticipation of music copyright issues - though if there ever was commercial music in my videos they were only incidental background issues. I used my owned royalty free music otherwise.What a pain.

I went to Youtube and put up with the adverts. It checks and reports on commercial music straight away as you no doubt know, and often there's no real issue. It does not offer password protection but it does offer private links so these don't appear in searches etc.

Anyway, a side effect of switching to Youtube which may be relevant for Amazon as well is that views can really take off. I have one from a few weeks ago that has 164,016 views to date. And I don't do any SEO for videos what so ever. Perhaps amazon Prime may lead to far more actual purchases than might otherwise be the case.

Apparently over half of all Amazon customers are Prime and the proportion is increasing.
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...