VEGAS Pro 18 is here! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 5th, 2020, 08:45 AM   #1
Sponsor: JET DV

VEGAS Pro 18 is here!

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.co...s/#productMenu

See all the new features in the newest version of VEGAS Pro!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2020, 10:28 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: VEGAS Pro 18 is here!

Just curious. I have upgraded every other release since Vegas 6. I think it was Vegas 14 & 16 the Blu-Ray burning from the timeline didn't work and was never fixed. Have they fixed this for Vegas 18? I have DVD Architect so I can still make Blu-Rays discs but it was much simpler and faster to just burn from the timeline. Probably going to drive my decision as to whether to upgrade or not.
Gary Bohlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2020, 02:54 PM   #3

Gary, I don't burn Blu-Rays at this time so I really can't answer that question. I guess you could install the trial and test it.
Old September 1st, 2020, 10:00 PM   #4
Trustee

I've upgraded to v18 through v17.

17 starts no problem but 18 won't start. I just get a message 'Vegas Pro has stopped working', after the very first load up screen is displayed. This failure to start is both from a shortcut on the desktop and the application file in the vegas folder.

Hmmm
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2020, 10:19 AM   #5

You might try starting it while holding down CTRL-SHIFT and make sure everything is reset and the cache is cleared.

Depending on your video card, you might need to update your video driver.

Does the splash screen appear? If yes, what does it say it's doing?
Old September 4th, 2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Edward
What does it mean that 'everything is reset and cache cleared'? Till now I've been using v16 and do not know if I am just using default setting or not. Do the v16 settings and cache carry over to v18?

What is the 'splash screen'? Is it the very first screen that appears which shows on a bar the loading of various things? If so, it opens and says 'Creating file I/O manager...' then the box comes up saying it can't open...send report etc...
Old September 5th, 2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
What is the 'splash screen'? Is it the very first screen that appears which shows on a bar the loading of various things? If so, it opens and says 'Creating file I/O manager...' then the box comes up saying it can't open...send report etc...
Yes, that is the splash screen. I think you left out the most important part of what it says. You said it can’t open... What exactly is it that it can’t open?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2020, 07:12 AM   #8

I mean that all settings are reset back to factory defaults and all cached information will be cleared (which can be very important) if you also check that box. So, for example, if you have gone into Options - Preferences and changed some settings, those would be changed back to the default values. If you've saved changes under File - Properties, those would reset to the default values.
Old September 10th, 2020, 04:23 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
Yes, that is the splash screen. I think you left out the most important part of what it says. You said it can’t open... What exactly is it that it can’t open?
It doesn't tell me...just ...'VEGAS Pro has stopped working.' It's a problem report window...
Re clearing the cache, I don't recall ever changing defaults so I presume that means none of my projects will be affected if the cache is cleared.
Old September 12th, 2020, 09:41 AM   #10

No projects will be affected by clearing the cache.

On the splash screen, on the lower left-hand side it says what it is doing. What is the last thing it says?

On the "Problem Report" screen, click on "Show Details". What are the details?
Old September 12th, 2020, 05:52 PM   #11
Trustee

Screen shot attached...
Attached Thumbnails
VEGAS Pro 18 is here!-2020-09-13-2-.png  
Old September 14th, 2020, 09:22 AM   #12

Did you try clearing the cache? Hold down CTRL-SHIFT and start Vegas while continuing to hold down those two keys. Let them go when the reset window with the clear cache checkbox appears on the screen. Check the box and then tell it to continue.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 10:29 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks Edward. Tried that. Makes no difference. Still stops at the same place... hmmm

Sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't been starting this computer so often recently...

Renton
Old September 23rd, 2020, 07:31 AM   #14
Trustee

An exception in Vegas typically happens within a third party plugin. Since nothing else you tried worked, I would try moving all third party plugins to some unrelated directory (preferably on a different disk) and then try if you can go through the boot process (of Vegas, not a reboot of the computer). If so, I would try to figure out which third party plugin is crashing (Vegas loads every third party plugin during the boot process, even ones you have never used) by moving one plugin at a time back to the original directory and booting Vegas.

If Vegas boots with some of the third party plugins but crashes with one or more of them, the plugin it crashes with is causing the problem.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2020, 03:04 PM   #15
Trustee

There has never been an issue with any other version of Vegas going right back to v6... Seems odd...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...