VEGAS Pro 18 is here! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 19th, 2020, 01:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: VEGAS Pro 18 is here!

I'm still on version 14, but I've been getting the popup notification that special upgrade pricing is available until October 27. If I upgrade, will my current projects started with version 14 work with the new version or should I only use it for new projects?
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2020, 03:12 PM   #17
Major Player

Don't worry about the deadline for upgrading, as soon as that offer expires another one comes along. Later versions of Vegas will happily open earlier versions and no problem having two versions on your computer and even running at the same time.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 09:48 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Newer versions of Vegas will open projects from older versions of Vegas. Older versions of Vegas will not open projects from newer versions of Vegas. So, yes, you can open a project from version 14 in version 18 of Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2020, 10:00 PM   #19
Trustee

Just a bit of an update on this v18 issue I have.

I have been in touch with Magix and they have replied...

I need some advice...

To fill in a bit of background. I bought v18 (which gave me also v17). v17 works on my machine but v18 won't even start.

As stated I have been in touch with Magix and they asked me to send my system stats. After I had done this they replied...

'Hello,

Thank you for the information. The most likely reason you're running into issues is because your system does not meet the specified requirements to run the program, specifically in the graphics area: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.co...s/#productMenu

Best regards,'

Obviously the graphics area is critical to video editing.

My present graphics card is an

EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 570

and the requirements to run Vegas v18 is

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX or RTX 9XX series or higher with 4GB

All the other specs appear to be ok. At least I think they are.

Re processor I have:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700k CPU @ 3.5GHz

I have 16gb RAM

Required is:

6th Generation Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) or better. 2.5 Ghz and 4 Core minimum. For 4K, 7th Generation Intel Core i7 (or AMD equivalent) or better. 3.0 Ghz and 8 Core minimum.

I will not be using 4K video...

Sooo...it appears I either don't use v18 which I have paid for, or I get a new graphics card.

The latter is probably the way to go, so although I don't want to pay megabucks for one, I thought someone here may have some ideas about a solution...perhaps a recommendation re a suitable graphics card.

Renton
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2020, 12:32 AM   #20
Old Boot

Hi Renton. Before you “just” update your GPU, do more research. BTW what MS version are you currently using?

Here’s my Rig’s Speccs:

PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel® Core™i9 - 3.3GHz * 8 GB graphics card with 32 GB of shared NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

As I say, you’re gonna need to get balancing the system so that there aren’t any bottlenecks.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2020, 03:32 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Graham. By ms are referring to windows? If so, win 10...64 bit...
Old November 16th, 2020, 04:17 AM   #22
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Thanks Graham. By ms are referring to windows? If so, win 10...64 bit...
Good to know.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2020, 03:36 PM   #23
Trustee

Any possibility of pointing me in the right direction re research? I don't know what a 'balanced system' means, though I can imagine what a bottleneck is where one piece of hardware slows everything down because it can't handle all the data required, whereas other pieces can. I get the impression that out of all my hardware, the GPU is the bottleneck, or at least simply cannot deal with v18's data flow...
Old December 2nd, 2020, 10:43 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Newer versions of Vegas will open projects from older versions of Vegas. Older versions of Vegas will not open projects from newer versions of Vegas. So, yes, you can open a project from version 14 in version 18 of Vegas.
Thanks, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to version 18. After opening a project I was working on using version 14, I noticed that some of the videos I was using in the older version look a little blurry in the preview window of the new version, but they look fine in the rendered video. I guess it's not a big deal as long as the rendered video looks good, but is there a reason they look blurry in the preview window? The newer clips I've imported look normal in the preview window.

Last edited by Ron Coleman; December 2nd, 2020 at 10:45 PM. Reason: correct punctuation error
Old December 7th, 2020, 02:31 PM   #25

Are you using the same preview settings (Preview - Auto vs Best - Full for example).
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:03 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks, I never noticed those settings for the preview window. It was set to Preview - Auto. I changed it to Preview - Best and it looks it looks a lot crisper.
Old January 19th, 2021, 03:14 AM   #27
Trustee

Well I have got v18 going at last ...with the help of a son in law.

The graphics card I had was below spec, so have upgraded to a GeForce GTX 1660 Super. That at least got that issue out of the way. However another issue appeared once the new card was installed. It appears that when Windows updates (full?) are done, that the system defaults to using the onboard graphics. Once that was disabled, v18 started fine...no trouble. Maybe I have been using the on board graphics for a while. As I recall, I had been having some issues with speed...so that could be the reason.

Now I have another issue. Just playing around with 18 and must have hit something...know not what, and my preview screen, Master Bus and project file windows have disappeared...and don't know how to get them back. I vaguely recall this happening one other time a long while ago but can't remember the solution. Anyone any clues?

Renton

Edit: Well there you go. I restarted the program and the windows are back. However I presume there is some way of get them back without restarting.
Old January 19th, 2021, 03:08 PM   #28

Try: View - Window Layouts - Default Layout
Old January 20th, 2021, 05:27 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Edward,

Upgraded and its working fine, however?

I hate the black theme and I can't find a way to change it.

Will excalibur work in it? And, if so, sense I lost it with my last computer how would One regain it, or is it a repurchase?
Old January 20th, 2021, 05:40 PM   #30
Major Player

re interface, go to Options>Preferences>Display
Actually, the Vegas manual isn't bad, but they do need a comprehensive beginners guide.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...