DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best Render Settings for Neat and Youtube (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/538187-best-render-settings-neat-youtube.html)

Christopher McCoy June 30th, 2021 05:44 AM

Best Render Settings for Neat and Youtube

Ok guys I'm looking for some advice. I have a Canon XF100 which I use as my main run and gun camera for a Documentary style Paranormal Investigation web-series on YouTube. It uses an MXF wrapper I record in HD 1920x1080 at 24fps at 50 mbps. I use a low light custom user profile and keep the gain at +6 for the best possible capture in low light conditions but there is still a bit of grain in my footage so picked up a license for Neat video to clean it up a bit before handing it over to my partner for post production. So with that information in hand what is the best render settings for Neat in Vegas Pro 17 to render the footage? Also what is the best settings for the final render to have a cinematic TV show quality result for YouTube? Any links to tutorials, videos or taking the time to spoon feed me the information is greatly appreciated thanks.

Patrick Tracy June 30th, 2021 12:04 PM

Re: Best Render Settings for Neat and Youtube

Best quality? Maybe AVI uncompressed. But that's going to make some big files.

Pete Cofrancesco June 30th, 2021 12:09 PM

For 1080p Youtube recommends 3,000-6,000 Kbps. Remember Youtube re-encodes whatever you upload to it. I wouldn't go any higher than 10-15,000 kbps. If you want to satisfy your curiosity upload small clip using a few bitrates and judge for yourself or better yet ask someone else if they notice a difference. It also comes down to length of the videos you are uploading. If your clips are under 5 minutes you can afford error on a higher bitrate. If the quality of the video is poor to begin with it probably a waste of time over doing the bitrate. The content also matters. Meaning if you're watching a talking head, very little is changing so not as much bitrate is needed, but for music videos with lots of special effects and constant motion, a higher bitrate is needed.

Patrick Tracy June 30th, 2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1965393)
For 1080p Youtube recommends bitrate range: 3,000-6,000 Kbps

I normally use the Sony AVC/MVC Internet 1920x1080 option, which seems to work well for YT, but the OP mentioned "handing it over to my partner for postproduction." I'm no expert, but my instinct says something less compressed would be better.

Pete Cofrancesco June 30th, 2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Tracy (Post 1965394)
I normally use the Sony AVC/MVC Internet 1920x1080 option, which seems to work well for YT, but the OP mentioned "handing it over to my partner for postproduction." I'm no expert, but my instinct says something less compressed would be better.

Cameras record at a high bitrate because the expectation is you'll edit and re encode it. But I think it's a waste of bandwidth and time to upload anything remotely close to the bitrate a camera records at for youtube. Note he says his camera uses 50mbs which is 50,000kbs. Youtube is going to drastically re compress anything you send to it.

Patrick Tracy June 30th, 2021 12:56 PM

Right, but he's asking two questions, what to render for sending for postproduction and then what to render for YouTube, so I think there are two different answers.

Pete Cofrancesco June 30th, 2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Tracy (Post 1965396)
Right, but he's asking two questions, what to render for sending for postproduction and then what to render for YouTube, so I think there are two different answers.

Oh I see I didn't catch that. Normally if I'm not producing it I would send the raw video. If you do need process it there is no benefits to encoding higher than the camera's bitrate. But if the bitrate is too high the files become too large to easily upload or transfer. In those cases I'd mail the cards. I would play around with different bitrates and use the eye ball test to find a reasonable compromise.

Christopher McCoy July 1st, 2021 06:03 AM

Thanks for the responses guys I appreciate it that will help with the YouTube side of things. I guess I should have asked how do you keep the Neat plugin renderings as short as possible? I wanted to save time for my friend with his post production work and have it in an mp4 format for YouTube but it will take forever to clean up the 6 hours of footage when he will probably only use 30 minutes of it in the final product. It took 10 hours to render a 1 hour long clip applying the Neat plugin and converting from MXF to MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4. Should I try to keep everything as close as possible to the raw video 24fps at 50mbps and MXF when applying the Neat denoiser would that result in shorter render times? Also any tips on Hardware acceleration or tweaking Vegas Pro 17s settings for better performance would be appreciated working with a Dell Inspiron 5575 AMD Ryzen 5 processer Radeon Vega8 Graphics card 16GB DDR4 memory quad core. not the most ideal setup but its what have to work with.

Patrick Tracy July 1st, 2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher McCoy (Post 1965404)
Also any tips on Hardware acceleration or tweaking Vegas Pro 17s settings for better performance would be appreciated working with a Dell Inspiron 5575 AMD Ryzen 5 processer Radeon Vega8 Graphics card 16GB DDR4 memory quad core. not the most ideal setup but its what have to work with.

Go to Options -> Preferences -> Video tab. There's a drop-down list for "GPU acceleration of video processing" that will show the available options. If your graphics card is supported, it will be on the list.