DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 19? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/538345-vegas-pro-19-a.html)

Jeremiah Rickert September 21st, 2021 06:35 PM

Vegas Pro 19?

Has anyone upgraded?

Just curious if it's worth another $199

Edward Troxel September 27th, 2021 08:23 AM

Re: Vegas Pro 19?

I'm using VEGAS Pro 19. It has some nice new features - some of which are only available if you purchase the "365" version. Here's a list of new features:

* VEGAS Content (stock video footage service available for VEGAS 365 users)
* Format support
-- Official ProRes (to be released as a beta feature)
-- ProRes Raw (to be released as a beta feature)
-- BRAW (to be released as a beta feature)
* Color Grading Panel work updates
-- UI refresh
-- Range-limited color wheels
-- Color picker
-- LUT presets for both Camera and Look LUTS
-- Split mode for color curves
* Artificial Intelligence
-- Upscale and Zoom plugin
-- Text to Speech (VEGAS 365 Users)
-- Scene/edit detection
---- Automatic Scene Detection menu/button options
---- Scene Detection OFX plug-in
-- Arbitrary style transfer
-- New style transfer presets/models
-- Improved Colorization model
* Adjustment Tracks
* HDR work
-- HW encoding for HDR presets ( NVIDIA, Main Concept)
-- OpenColorIO 2.0 support
-- ACES 1.2 Config
* Update improve prerender
-- Prerender improvements
-- Dynamic RAM Preview improvements
* Hub Explorer
* UI Update
* Project Notes
-- Timecode-aware notes in Notes Window
-- Header color selection
-- Note labels
* Import of Mocha data into Motion Tracking panel

In addition to the above, there's also been many bug fixes as well.

Geir Inge October 9th, 2021 12:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just upgraded to Vegas Pro 19 (post) and have the latest build 381.
Repeatedly it just stops working, freezes and I have to restart the whole program.
This is so annoying that I'm wondering if I should switch to another program.
Anyone else having a problem with Vegas Pro 19?
Attaches a picture of my PC system.

Christopher Young October 9th, 2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1966012)
I'm using VEGAS Pro 19. It has some nice new features - some of which are only available if you purchase the "365" version. Here's a list of new features:
In addition to the above, there's also been many bug fixes as well.

Edward. Why is Magix going down this route? Only offering certain features with the 365 version? Sorry, I don't agree with this approach.

In a day and age where one of the price range competitors to Vegas, Davinci Resolve is offering virtually everything an editor needs bar ProRes RAW it begins to make it a harder decision to stay with Vegas. That's coming from someone who has been using Vegas since v2.0. From someone who demonstrated Vegas at Broadcast shows around the world on Sony's official broadcast show stands. Someone who taught Vegas to student editors.

I find the main thing Vegas is really struggling with is its performance in the 4K work environment where its GPU optimization leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the likes of Resolve's and Edius's GPU playback capabilities. On an overclocked 5Ghz Intel with a Nvidea GTX 1080Ti Vegas 19 is struggling to playback at BEST/FULL settings any 4K UHD material (3840 x 2160) shot in XAVC-L (The long GOP version of XAVC). And that's with NO grading or CC applied. 7-10 frames per second being the average playback speed in Vegas 19 b381.

On the SAME machine, exactly the same footage with five or six grading Nodes applied Davinci Resolve is playing back that XAVC-L UHD footage at full resolution at the full encoded framerate of 50 frames per second. Such a massive difference in performance between two bits of software on the same machine is hard to comprehend.

I love Vegas and from a workflow point of view, I find it a very intuitive interface and I can work quickly and productively with it. Over the last twenty years, I have delivered over four hundred TV shows edited with Vegas which I moved to after Discreet Edit* went to the wall when the Targa TruVision hardware cards ceased production.

It becomes very frustrating for us diehard Vegas users when we see a $400 piece of NLE/Grading software that has no upgrade fees, and that doesn't require a subscription making big inroads. Software with a great feature set and excellent performance for a good price is becoming hard to ignore. Sign of the times I guess.

Stay well all.

Chris Young

Edward Troxel October 11th, 2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1966113)
I just upgraded to Vegas Pro 19 (post) and have the latest build 381.
Repeatedly it just stops working, freezes and I have to restart the whole program.

Would you please post the details of the actual video files? (I, too, have seen this)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1966116)
Edward. Why is Magix going down this route? Only offering certain features with the 365 version? Sorry, I don't agree with this approach.

Those features have a monthly cost to Magix so that is their way of passing the cost on to you. Magix has to pay for it so they need you to pay for it. That's really the only reason. You can still get VEGAS - without a monthly cost - you just don't get the features that have an extra cost.

Rainer Listing October 11th, 2021 06:58 PM

Subscriptions are financial cancer. For a few versions now there has been an annual Vegas new version each August. You could regard it as equivalent to an annual subscription. At $199 the monthly subscription is cheaper than an annual upgrade, and with a monthly you get the new features immediately. However, wait a few weeks and there will be special purchase offers at $119. Or if you are satisfied with the previous version, wait until it comes up on humble bundle for $40.

Vegas has had perennial problems with stability. If you can establish a workflow with codecs and specs that work for you, it might be slow on render and playback and you'll only experience occasional crashes, maybe only every hour or so.

I'm a Vegas user from version 8, last version I bought was 17. I can certainly understand why people stick with Vegas. It took me three years to transition exclusively from Vegas to Resolve and not look back.

Christopher Young October 11th, 2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1966119)
Those features have a monthly cost to Magix so that is their way of passing the cost on to you. Magix has to pay for it so they need you to pay for it. That's really the only reason. You can still get VEGAS - without a monthly cost - you just don't get the features that have an extra cost.

Edward Yes. But there is more to it than that. They giveth with one hand and take away with the other. If You own Vegas you can activate the use of it on two systems. This you CANNOT do with Vegas 365 which kind of negates its "bonus" features if you have to port jobs from home to studio and back. There is no way I would subscribe twice! Subscription is the thin end of the wedge.

Chris Young

Christopher Young October 11th, 2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Listing (Post 1966120)
I'm a Vegas user from version 8, last version I bought was 17. I can certainly understand why people stick with Vegas. It took me three years to transition exclusively from Vegas to Resolve and not look back.

As I said previously I have been on Vegas since v2.0. But as Rainer has experienced. I am seeing more and more Vegas users migrating to Resolve. I never thought I would see that trend develop but it is. It's even happening to me. I'm now about 60/40 Resolve/Vegas. There comes a time when stability + performance + a deep feature set just wins through.

Put the price of running an NLE into the equation and for some people starting out as editors Resolve appears to be a no brainer. This is where MAGIX are likely to lose out in the long run as beginner editors can start with a free Resolve version that is 80% of what the paid version offers.

That's where years back Avid was successful. Grabbing the beginners and cultivating a pool of NLE editors who eventually became the mainstay of freelance editors in many parts of the world. Apple with FCP is the only one who made inroads into that professional world. Sure there were other competent NLEs like Media 100 and D-Vision and a couple of others like Lightworks and Discreet's Edit*. All of which I have worked on and even owned in Media 100 and Discreet Edit*..

The reality is that Resolve's transition from a mediocre NLE but brilliant grading tool in Resolve v11 through to a now pretty comprehensive NLE, still with brilliant grading capability in v13.2 has seen more new learner editors gravitate to it than almost any other NLE around.

Sadly Resolve v11 to v13 has seen more development than Vegas from v8 through to v19. Reality stares one in the face.

Chris Young

Geir Inge October 12th, 2021 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1966119)
Would you please post the details of the actual video files? (I, too, have seen this)

Hi Edward.
I have tried out several different settings and none of them have managed to stay open for long.
It's getting worse when I'm trying to edit 4K.
Here is what I have tried out the last time.

Graham Bernard October 12th, 2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1966126)
Hi Edward.
I have tried out several different settings and none of them have managed to stay open for long.

If I may butt in, two things that stand out to me:

1 - If that is your only Drive, then you have very little space available.

2 - Can 4K use those Project settings?

I’d also suggest you start your own thread, as your questions here don’t relate to this heading and you could get better, focused responses if other Users know what your experience is.

Edward Troxel October 13th, 2021 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1966122)
Edward Yes. But there is more to it than that. They giveth with one hand and take away with the other. If You own Vegas you can activate the use of it on two systems. This you CANNOT do with Vegas 365 which kind of negates its "bonus" features if you have to port jobs from home to studio and back. There is no way I would subscribe twice! Subscription is the thin end of the wedge.

Chris Young

Yes, you are correct. The subscription can only be used on one machine at a time. You can deactivate/activate to go back and forth between machines but, I agree, that is a pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1966126)
Hi Edward.

Those are your project and preference settings. I want to see the properties of the actual VIDEO FILES.

The ones that have caused me issues are from a DJI Osmo pocket camera.

Christopher Young October 13th, 2021 08:43 AM

Yes, Edward. A real pain in the rear. There are great areas of Australia if you are on the move, like bigger than Texas where trying to get a signal to connect to the net is nearly impossible. Following a long-distance rally event is one. You need to make sure you have transferred the activation to your laptop before heading out.

Chris Young

Duane Adam November 11th, 2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1966138)
Yes, you are correct. The subscription can only be used on one machine at a time. You can deactivate/activate to go back and forth between machines but, I agree, that is a pain.

Well I had my first look at 365 as I'm training my grandson to take over my real estate business and he purchased the subscription a few months ago. Last night we tried to transfer a program to another computer and the subscription said he needed to deactivate his laptop first but... that he could only change computers once every 30 days. Whaaattt???

Is Magix so isolated from the real world that they don't understand most people work from more than one location and, often from another computer?

Like Christopher and Rainer I've used Vegas since the early days but it may be time to pull the plug.

Adam Stanislav November 11th, 2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1966361)
it may be time to pull the plug.

Or just use an older version. The last one I upgraded to was 15, and it still does all I need.

Jorma Nippala November 12th, 2021 09:23 AM

In VEGAS Pro 14.0 or later (including the current build 424 of VEGAS Pro 19), you can also choose Deactivate the Software on this PC from the Help menu This option can be used as often as you wish. An internet connection is required. (The initial build of VEGAS Pro 19 missed that option.)

Duane Adam November 12th, 2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1966362)
Or just use an older version. The last one I upgraded to was 15, and it still does all I need.

I'm on 17 and it won't handle the files from my Sony FX3 or my Blackmagic 6K. 19 appears to but only being able to switch computers every 30 days is a deal killer. We ditched the latest Vegas project and switched to Davinci so all's good.

Edward Troxel November 12th, 2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1966371)
but only being able to switch computers every 30 days is a deal killer.

What does this mean? You can only remove an activation from the website (could be once every 30 days - I know it is restricted but don't know the timeframe). However, you should be able to deactivate from within VEGAS as often as you wish. Just open VEGAS, go to Help - Deactivate the software on this PC.

Steve Renouf November 13th, 2021 06:26 AM

I think he means that if you don't have an internet connection at your location, then you are unable to switch.

Edward Troxel November 13th, 2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Renouf (Post 1966374)
I think he means that if you don't have an internet connection at your location, then you are unable to switch.

That would be true. But he also mentioned "every 30 days"...

Duane Adam November 15th, 2021 10:55 AM

We were online. In trying to open 19 365 on a 2nd computer we received a message that the one computer already registered was the maximum allowed. In attempting to deactivate that computer to use the other, we received a popup that changing computers was only allowed once every 30 days.

Duane Adam November 15th, 2021 11:13 AM

I understand that software companies need to walk a fine line between protecting themselves from piracy and appearing to punish their customers but, when you head to far in the direction of punishment, many will wave goodbye with one finger and won’t return.

Most of us that do videos professionally are under tight deadlines. Using two computers to create and then produce a project is something I’ve done with Vegas since 2004 and having to buy additional licenses to continue working this way isn’t going to happen. Sorry.

Edward Troxel November 17th, 2021 09:35 AM

I know if you do it through the website, it's only allowed once a month. I thought going through the menus in VEGAS would allow as often as needed.

Duane Adam November 20th, 2021 06:44 PM

Didn't get that far so don't know. The talent was only in town for a day so rather than spend time on security issues I shifted to Davinci Resolve where for now, using multiple computers isn't a problem.

Vegas used to be the "cool" program but not anymore. For now Resolve is more lax but this too could change.

Edward Troxel November 24th, 2021 08:54 AM

If you buy the perpetual license, you can activate it on two computers. It's only the subscription that's limited to one.