DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Add Clip Name to Render (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/81277-add-clip-name-render.html)

Jason Robinson December 8th, 2006 01:21 PM

Add Clip Name to Render

I am creating an edit copy for my clients thast includes the clip time code, total time code, and clip name so they can look at the raw and pick shots, etc. THe only thing left to figure out is clip name. I can get the clip name to appear in the time line but I want it rendered on the video just like a time code.

Is there any way to do this? I have a huge library of scripts (most of which seem to be broken) and none do this.

It isn't too critical since I can just keep the project file and refer to the total time code (which exists as an fx on a text overlay track) in order to find out what the customer is referring to. But I might be nice to have the clip name as well.

Any suggestions? I haven't created a script before so I can't write my own (yet). Being a sw developer full time, I suppose I should get into the vegas scripting habbit to save myself time in the long run.

Thanks again.

Jason

Don Bloom December 8th, 2006 02:10 PM

can you take a generated media text, type in the clip name and other info reposition it to where you want it and render it that way?
Don

Edward Troxel December 8th, 2006 02:40 PM

A script cannot change the text in a generated media. It can create the generated media - just can't change what it says.

The best I've been able to do is the Quick label tool in Excalibur.

Jason Robinson December 8th, 2006 04:43 PM

That would be the manual way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
can you take a generated media text, type in the clip name and other info reposition it to where you want it and render it that way?
Don

But unfortunately I'm dealing with hundreds of clips and at about 20 seconds each title overlay this is not something I want to hassle with (not to mention accidentally getting the wrong name because of cut / paste errors) especially since I see me doing this frequently for this client (as possibly others). That adds up to over an hour (or more) to add clip names for a rough review edit especially if I do this for every day of footage for corporate clients. May be i shouldn't be doing this?

jason

Jason Robinson December 8th, 2006 04:45 PM

Ahhh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
A script cannot change the text in a generated media. It can create the generated media - just can't change what it says.

The best I've been able to do is the Quick label tool in Excalibur.

So quick label creates media based on the clip file name? That is exactly would I would like to do.....

jason

Edward Troxel December 8th, 2006 10:39 PM

It will first create regions around each image, name the regions for the file names, create images from those region names, and then overlay those images over the original pictures.

Jason Robinson December 9th, 2006 05:15 PM

round about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
It will first create regions around each image, name the regions for the file names, create images from those region names, and then overlay those images over the original pictures.

Seems a little round about, but is that because of limitations in Vegas? Seems like the regions are not necessary, but if that is how it work,s then I can't complain.

jason

Edward Troxel December 9th, 2006 11:08 PM

The regions aren't technically necessary and the large round-about method is because of limitations in Vegas. Right now, the tool works with regions (allowing you to put any name YOU want in any particular area) but can automatically create the necessary regions and name them the file name.

Jason Robinson September 22nd, 2008 06:45 PM

Thread resurrection

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 587357)
The regions aren't technically necessary and the large round-about method is because of limitations in Vegas. Right now, the tool works with regions (allowing you to put any name YOU want in any particular area) but can automatically create the necessary regions and name them the file name.

I have a need for this clip naming again so I looked through the archive here on DVInfo, and sure enough I did ask this question a few years ago.

What I wondered was I cannot see any screen caps of waht the text labels will look like when rendered. Will they look like a generated media clip? I know that a script cannot change the text of a generated media clip, but can a script create the initial generated media file? as in....

1) select all media that I want labeled

2) tell script "create a label for each media on this track"

3) script creates new generated media files for every media on the timeline on that track and places these generated media files in a new track (or existing track) above the media.

4) I render the project and see the media name in text appearing next time my time codes (one for clip and one for total).

Or does the script takes the clip names and creates pngs or jpg from the clip name and then put the image above the media?

In either case, I'd love to see a screen shot of the preview window so I can see what it is the page is describing.

Excalibur Quicklabel

Edward Troxel September 23rd, 2008 06:58 AM

Go to this page instead:

Excalibur 5.5 Quicklabel

This is how it looked in the previous versions of Vegas/Excalibur. At the top of that page you'll see multiple videos including one that deals with Quick Label. The results are the same in Excalibur 6 - I just didn't redo the video to show the new GUI.

Jason Robinson September 23rd, 2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 941497)
Go to this page instead:
Excalibur 5.5 Quicklabel
This is how it looked in the previous versions of Vegas/Excalibur. At the top of that page you'll see multiple videos including one that deals with Quick Label. The results are the same in Excalibur 6 - I just didn't redo the video to show the new GUI.

Ahh. Thanks for the link. Also, just so I'm clear, the visible labels are generated media and not images, correct?

Edward Troxel September 23rd, 2008 09:19 AM

No. The visible labels are PICTURES/images. Just like going to a paint program and typing text there, saving it, and then adding the picture to the project - just totally automated. Scripts do not have access to the individual generated media settings (can only set presets).