DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   External Preview on Vegas for HD !! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/83469-external-preview-vegas-hd.html)

Michael Ojjeh January 9th, 2007 10:43 AM

External Preview on Vegas for HD !!

What do you use to preview HD on Vegas7 ? I tried to buy Blackmagic Design card or AJA card and they told me that they don't support Vegas anymore.
And that's very disappointing. I have a big HD project and I need to preview it on external lcd monitor, Is there any other alternative just for External previewing HD on Vegas7.

Ron Chau January 9th, 2007 10:47 AM

You can use your camcorder as a pass through via the firewire.

Michael Ojjeh January 9th, 2007 10:58 AM

Thanks Ron, That's not a bad idea , but I am looking for a long term solution.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 9th, 2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh
What do you use to preview HD on Vegas7 ? I tried to buy Blackmagic Design card or AJA card and they told me that they don't support Vegas anymore.
And that's very disappointing. I have a big HD project and I need to preview it on external lcd monitor, Is there any other alternative just for External previewing HD on Vegas7.

Don't know where you got that info, but the AJA Xena is supported in Vegas as well as the BMD HD/SDI cards. I have both. BMD keeps changing out their drivers, so Vegas isn't always up to date, but both are supported and marketed as such.
Needless to say, neither product would be used for an LCD monitor anyway.
Use the second head on your video card for DVI output to an LCD monitor.

Michael Ojjeh January 9th, 2007 12:27 PM

Thanks Douglas, I got the info from BMD dealer and they called BMD support to confirm that they don't support Vegas any more they even told me I will be better off switching to Premiere beacuse Vegas users only represent 1-3 % of the market and it is not worth thier investment.
I do use two monitors for editing on Vegas and I need the External monitor to preview HD. Why Will I not be able to view it on HD TV ?

David Jimerson January 9th, 2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

they even told me I will be better off switching to Premiere beacuse Vegas users only represent 1-3 % of the market and it is not worth thier investment.

That argument didn't exactly stop Apple.

Chris Barcellos January 9th, 2007 12:45 PM

I don't think HDV will actually pass through by fire wire, except in final export to tape, which would be monitorable.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 9th, 2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks Douglas, I got the info from BMD dealer and they called BMD support to confirm that they don't support Vegas any more they even told me I will be better off switching to Premiere beacuse Vegas users only represent 1-3 % of the market and it is not worth thier investment.
I do use two monitors for editing on Vegas and I need the External monitor to preview HD. Why Will I not be able to view it on HD TV ?

1. I do have external preview for HD. Both SDI and component to HD display.
2. Simon from BMD has different info, unless it's changed in the past 30 days. Either way, doesn't matter. AJA does a much better job with Vegas, their drivers don't change every week, and it's rock solid. I've quite using BMD in all but one system simply because I gave up always trying to be updated and finding out that the new drivers broke my system.

Steven Davis January 9th, 2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

I'd be curious about the source of that statistic.

Ron Chau January 9th, 2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I don't think HDV will actually pass through by fire wire.....

Has anyone tried this ?

I was thinking of getting a 26" HDTV to serve as my external monitor for color correction via firewire. I can't afford a real calibrated monitor, so the idea of an HDTV came up. Should I connect via the firewire or my video card ?

Michael Ojjeh January 9th, 2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Chau
Has anyone tried this ?

I was thinking of getting a 26" HDTV to serve as my external monitor for color correction via firewire. I can't afford a real calibrated monitor, so the idea of an HDTV came up.

I just tried it with my H1 through fire wire and from the camera to component HD display and did not work !! and that is a bummer !! I was hoping that will work.

Brian Engleheart January 9th, 2007 03:42 PM

If you have an HDTV with an HDMI input couldnt you connect that to the second input on your graphics card via a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter?

Ron Chau January 9th, 2007 03:49 PM

My video card has a dual output. I think I gonna drag my pc, monitor, keyboard and mouse into my living room. My HDTV is a few years old and has a DVI input............

Ron Chau January 9th, 2007 09:08 PM

OK, HDTV connected to the 2nd output on my video card works.

Which is better for HD color correction previewing via the video card, a LCD computer monitor or LCD HDTV ? Finished product will be viewed on an HDTV.

Michael Ojjeh January 9th, 2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Chau
OK, HDTV connected to the 2nd output on my video card works.

Which is better for HD color correction previewing via the video card, a LCD computer monitor or LCD HDTV ? Finished product will be viewed on an HDTV.

So you use one monitor for editing and the 2nd is your HDTV. and on Vegas Preview device you have Windows secondary display selected ! So if you edit with two monitors you will lose the 2nd one for the HDTV display.