DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 6.0D Keeps Crashing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/86472-vegas-6-0d-keeps-crashing.html)

Paul Kepen February 13th, 2007 11:47 PM

Vegas 6.0D Keeps Crashing

I am working on a 1 hour HDV project (using Cineform). Basic cut and dice editing, titiling, and colorcorrected the video went smoothly. However, I have several 6-10 still picture slideshows that I am intermixing with transitions, pan and zoom (Ken Burn's effect), titles/captions. As I've added these, Vegas has become more and more stuborn about taking anymore, and now crashes everytime I try to add a photo. I originally loved the stability and reliability of Vegas, but know its acting like my old Pinnacle Studio did with a longer project.

What is the answer? Do I need to reinstall Vegas from scratch and/or Windows XP ? Will my saved projects transfer over ok? I have Vegas 7 - still in the box. I was hoping to get this project done before switching over to V7. Any ideas on what to do? Is there an easier solution? Should I just unistall V6 and install V7? Thanks in advance for any ideas/helpful tips - PK

Seth Bloombaum February 14th, 2007 03:50 PM

What format are your stills? Tiffs should be avoided, they use the QT decoder. I've had good results with png, have read that others have also had good results with tga.

Generally, your still should be no more than 2x the rez of the area you're using in the frame... hmm.. how can I make that clearer... if you have a scan of an 8x10" horizontal photo, figure out what area you'll want to cover at max magnification. Let's say that's a 3x4" area. That area should be no more that 1280x960 pixels, and could be as little as 640x480. Some quick and loose math, and, voila, the 8x10 would total no more than about 3200x2400. About. Or, if you're using a photo full frame there is no reason for it to be more than 1280x960, and you'll have better timeline performance if you do this. And make it a png while you're at it.

Paul Kepen February 15th, 2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
What format are your stills? Tiffs should be avoided, they use the QT decoder. I've had good results with png, have read that others have also had good results with tga.

Generally, your still should be no more than 2x the rez of the area you're using in the frame... hmm.. how can I make that clearer... if you have a scan of an 8x10" horizontal photo, figure out what area you'll want to cover at max magnification. Let's say that's a 3x4" area. That area should be no more that 1280x960 pixels, and could be as little as 640x480. Some quick and loose math, and, voila, the 8x10 would total no more than about 3200x2400. About. Or, if you're using a photo full frame there is no reason for it to be more than 1280x960, and you'll have better timeline performance if you do this. And make it a png while you're at it.

Thanks Seth. I tried converting the pics to png files, and that seemed to cut their size by about 1/2. I am now able to add more pics, without Vegas crashing - so thanks again so much for the help. Have a Great Day - PK