DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 4 BIG troubles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/8661-vegas-4-big-troubles.html)

Peter Koller April 15th, 2003 07:39 AM

Troubles: print to tape and external preview in Vegas 4

Hi guys... 2 long nights and plenty of coffee and still no solution in sight... hope some of you can help me.

Problem Description:

When printing to tape or sending the preview to an external monitor via the 1394 the video is always interrupted (I get a blue screen on the camcorder display)

What I did until now:

The footage I tried was captured with vegas (I tried some older stuff that was captured with premiere and a pinnacle dv300 - with the same results as above)

My system: Win2000pro, 512mb RAM, directx 9.0a, 1394 OHCI (TI chipset), Camcorder Canon XL-1 (PAL, I tried interlaced and progressive footage)

Uninstalled the pinnacle dv300 and cleaned the registry of all remains of the pinnacle dv300

updated my BIOS

checked and reinstalled driver for the 1394 card (TI chipset) and the Microsoft DV driver

checked the IRQ settings, all these are on the same IRQ:

IRQ 11 SAPPHIRE RADEON 9000 ATLANTIS PRO
IRQ 11 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
IRQ 11 SiI PCI-0680 ATA/133 Controller
IRQ 11 Texas Instruments OHCI-konformer IEEE-1394-Hostcontroller
IRQ 11 Realtek RTL8029(AS)-basierter PCI Ethernetadapter

Could there be any conflicts?

Here is all of them: Which ones can I change, I am really no expert in these things..? Sorry for the german words, but I guess they are selfexplanatory ;-)

9 Microsoft ACPI-konformes System
11 SAPPHIRE RADEON 9000 ATLANTIS PRO
11 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
11 SiI PCI-0680 ATA/133 Controller
11 Texas Instruments OHCI-konformer IEEE-1394 Hostcontroller
11 Realtek RTL8029(AS)-basierter PCI Ethernetadapter
14 Primärer IDE-Kanal
15 Sekundärer IDE-Kanal
8 System CMOS/Echtzeituhr
13 Numerischer Coprozessor
6 Standard-Diskettenlaufwerkcontroller
4 Kommunikationsanschluss (COM1)
3 Kommunikationsanschluss (COM2)
12 Windows PS/2 Port mouse
1 Standardtastatur (101/102 Tasten) oder Microsoft Natural Keyboard (PS/2)

5. I read the Vegas manual, checked this forum, the faq, the articles on this site and did everything that was recommended, but it still does not work.

I really hope you can help me... I purchased Vegas only 2 days ago, because I was so happy with the demo... and now I cannot even get my footage out of the computer.

Cheers, Peter

Don Bloom April 15th, 2003 08:18 AM

Peter,

I agree about the software, I made the switch not long ago also and it is excellent. I almost like to edit now! Notice I said ALMOST...
Good Luck to you, I hope you are able to solve your challenge,
Don

Bill Ravens April 15th, 2003 09:24 AM

First thing I'd try is disabling as many of those other apps you've got running on IRQ11. The ethernet adapter stands out as a real likely culprit.

Rob Easler April 15th, 2003 11:12 AM

What version of Premiere do you have? If you have 6.0 or above, try capturing and printing somethig with Premiere to see if you have problems with that too. I dont think this is a Vegas specific problem.

Don Bloom April 15th, 2003 11:45 AM

YES! I forgot, I do it so routinely now! Virus Scan and internet OFF!!!! They were a source of trouble for me and then I remembered I left them both on, turneded them off and BINGO!!!!

Peter Koller April 15th, 2003 11:53 AM

@Rob In Premiere everything worked fine

I am going to change these IRQs, if this does not solve the problem I will stick my tongue in the power plug and fry myself :-)))

Cheers, Peter

Andrew Petrie April 15th, 2003 06:16 PM

You have major problems with all of those devices sharing the same IRQ. Your problem lies with your FireWire controller sharing the Hard Drive controller (ATA133). Both sharing the same IRQ is just asking for trouble because your FireWire is feeding the hard disk information in real time, and the hard disk can't keep up. especially if it's also sharing the same Video card IRQ and Ethernet IRQ (if it's being used).

Unfortunatly, to allow for total IRQ setting control, you need to tinker with the BIOs a bit, and re-install Windows 2000 because by default Win2K installs ACPI drivers/configurations which are heavily embedded within the O/S.

Adrian Douglas April 16th, 2003 06:26 AM

Peter,

I'd be taking a look at the IRQ for the firewire card. Texas Inst chios are notorious for not playing well with others on the same IRQ (especially the Pinnacle DV series). I had all kinds of different problems until I installed the firewire card with its own IRQ.

Peter Koller April 16th, 2003 09:04 AM

So, I managed to give the 1394 a single IRQ by removing the ethernet card and the IDE controller... no improvement.

I flashed my BIOS to the newest version and installed a new VIA chipset driver.. nothing.

Funny thing is there is a guy on a german forum who runs Vegas with lots of background action (virus protection, outlook...) shared IRQs and plenty of cards in the PCS slots and he has NO PROBLEMS! Well, with Premiere and the dv300 it was more or like it, when it got stuck I at least knew why.

What is left to do?

Try another firewire card?

Another mainboard?

@Adrian
What do you mean by a firewire card with its "own IRQ" I thought IRQs are assigned by the system?

Peter Koller April 16th, 2003 09:09 AM

Anyone out there using this combination:

MSI K7T Turbo (MS-6330) Mainboard with the VIA chipset

and VEGAS 4 an Win2k?

If you happen to use this setup, does it work? Or did you make any changes to the BIOS to make it work?

Cheers, Peter

Trey Perrone April 18th, 2003 12:57 AM

i cant preview on external monitor using veg4 on a via chipset mobo either. and it worked before i did a fresh reinstall on another drive! i just did a two hour project in 4 days and had the machine lockup several times as well....fortunately i struggled thru the job, got it rendered and then xfred to my laptop and was able to print to vid (and preview external fine). oddly enough it seems most my issues occured after switching from wired NIC to wireless (part of the reason for reinstall). ive gone into BIOS, but unfortunately all i can change is reserving pcipnp IRQs to isa/legacy. all my devices were on irq3, reserved it and then they all went to 12, then magically the split into various IRQs with some on 10, 11, and 4....so strange. im on XP PRO, not that much difference from W2k....if you find any solutions let me know! likewise if i figure anything out ill drop you a line...so far im relying more on my laptop, which unfortunatley only has a 40 GB...desktop has 200GB....blahhh

Joe Carney April 19th, 2003 07:34 PM

I know this won't help. But...
VIA chipsets are notorious for their throughput problems. Thats why I will never buy another mobo with a VIA chipset (especially the southbridge, bad bad problems with PCI throughput).

I'm assuming have a VIA 266 or 266A? or earlier?

I have a VIA 266A southbridge with the 4 in 1 drivers and I still have some playback problems, though I don't lose any actual footage.

This has affected other programs on my system as well.

Keith Luken April 21st, 2003 10:05 AM

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I too have had several issues with Vegas Printing to Tape. Seems I have problmes with any video NOT captured with Vegas, but I tried several different 1394 cards, with no luck. For things that don;t print to tape well I used Pinnacle Studio as it exports to tape very nicely, It is about the only thing I trust Studio for as the progrma itself is buggy as hell.