DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Defragmenting clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/88312-defragmenting-clips.html)

Dana Salsbury March 6th, 2007 03:08 PM

Defragmenting clips

It seems that I spend a lot of time pulling multiple clips together (in a single timeline). I'd like to find a command or way to select several clips and instantly butt-fit these together. Thoughts? I feel like I'm dragging clips around all day! Thanks!

-Dana

Brian Luce March 6th, 2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 637084)
It seems that I spend a lot of time pulling multiple clips together (in a single timeline). I'd like to find a command or way to select several clips and instantly butt-fit these together. Thoughts? I feel like I'm dragging clips around all day! Thanks!

-Dana

Like ripple? Is that what you want to do?

Dana Salsbury March 6th, 2007 04:20 PM

I haven't heard of ripple. Here's a visual of what I'm talking about:

Before:
[clip] [--clip--] [clip] [---clip---] [-clip-]

After:
[clip][--clip--][clip][---clip---][-clip-]

To do this manually on a large project takes forever. I just want to select it all, keystroke a command and eliminate the gaps.

-Dana

Mike Kujbida March 6th, 2007 04:40 PM

There's a script called Delete Empty Space Between Events that may do what you want.
It's a part of this script collection.
Be forewarned that there are pop-ups on the site. If you're using a good blocker though, this won't be an issue and the site can be trusted.
If you've never used scripts before, you don't know what you're missing as they are a very valuable tool :-)

Dana Salsbury March 7th, 2007 12:26 PM

Thank you Mike. I will give this a try.

Ian Stark August 27th, 2007 08:52 AM

Hmmm, like Dana I was looking for a script to delete the gaps between events on the timeline. I came across this thread, downloaded the script Mike pointed us to (well, the collection, something like 161 scripts) and ran it.

The outcome was that it did remove the gaps BUT it also seemed to shift the start point of each clip to a different place in the media event it was excised from. (Hope that makes sense). In other words from an original event of, say, 120 seconds I trimmed it (on the timeline) to, say, the middle 15 seconds only. I repeated this with all the events on the timeline, ending up with about 60 short clips, spread over about an hour on the timeline. When running the script, all the gaps were deleted (perfect, just what I wanted) but every clip's 'in' point had reverted to some other point in the original event it was culled from.

Now, I notice that the script is four years old on Thursday (happy birthday).
Does that suggest it might not function correctly under Vegas 7 or am I just being an idiot? I looked at the script content but that really isn't my area of expertise.

If I'm right about this being an outdated script, does anyone know of one that will work with V7? I looked through the VASST site but couldn't find anything obvious there (is it me or is it difficult to navigate that site? I admit I didn't spend hours there but I couldn't for the life of me find a simple index or category page for the scripts).

Help for a poor confused old man very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Ian . . .

Edward Troxel August 27th, 2007 09:29 AM

Some changes were made to scripting over the years. In this case, your "offset" is being adjusted when it shouldn't be.

You might try this one.

Ian Stark August 27th, 2007 09:43 AM

Ah, Edward, you are a lifesaver. Many thanks for that.

I understand the concept of what was going wrong but there is no way I have the necessary skills to have resolved it. That script did just the trick and I wish I'd had the foresight to have asked the question ages ago as it would have saved me a lot of manual effort!

Despite being what I consider to be a fairly competent Vegas user, using scripts is an area I have pretty much neglected until recently. More fool me - I can see many timesaving scripts out there and I will make time to delve through for some that would be useful in my workflow.

For the benefit of others who may be as script-unsavvy as me, are there any general areas of scripting that have significantly changed in recent Vegas releases, ie that should make us wary of using older scripts? Or is it a case of "if it's before 200x, leave it alone"?

Thanks again.

Ian . . .

Edward Troxel August 27th, 2007 09:54 AM

The biggest change was in the command:
AdjustStartLength

It's usage changed multiple times over several versions. I finally decided to just work around that command using other functionality and no longer use it. Vegas 4 behaved one way, Vegas 5 another, and I think it changed again in either Vegas 6 or 7 so I just don't use it or trust any older script that does.

Ian Stark August 27th, 2007 10:01 AM

Sounds like wise counsel. I'll keep an eye out.