DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   If you answer this, You'll be my best friend (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/91226-if-you-answer-youll-my-best-friend.html)

John Wheeler April 10th, 2007 09:54 PM

If you answer this, You'll be my best friend

Shot 60i with my gl2, edited in vegas7 ...rendered mpg2, burned to dvd and played on a tv. On most of the pans and zooms there is a strange thing happening. Not sure how to describe, Kind of a jitter? Studdering look? ....I'm guessing it has something to do with interlace and all that. But It's really throwing me for a curve. Another problem I'm having with the this same video is. ......I made a simple graphic in photoshop, a title bar. Saved as a psd, imported into vegas and threw it on the track above the video. When you see the video on the computer monitor, the title bar and footage looks great, But I'm running the footage out firewire to a tv ...and the footage has "waves" in it... near the title bar. But if I mute the title bar track, the "waves" go away. ...It's as if the title bar is magnetic and when you put it on top of the footage it distorts the footage?? I am totally lost. I've used vegas for almost 3 years, and have never had either of these issues? Any ideas?

Thanks

j.

Chris Barcellos April 10th, 2007 10:10 PM

For my edification, why do you render to .mpg if you are going out to a tv by firewire. Is that all that the TV will accept ? Rendering DV to mpg is essentially compressing.

What I would look at:

1. Is it possible the "IRE" (I think thats what they call it) of the title track is too high in combination with the other track.

2. Are both video tracks the same format ? Both interlaced or deinterlaced, per your project.

3. Is transparency on the title track creating some sort of problem.

John Wheeler April 10th, 2007 10:17 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Let me clarify about the rendering to mpg and going out firewire. Ultimately, I need this footage on a dvd. So at first, I was rendering to mpg2 and burning to dvd. After playing the dvd on a stand alone dvd player to a tv and seeing the footage, I tried changing many settings and ended up burning 5 or 6 dvd's, and all had the same result. So then, I decided to hook up a tv from the computer so I could see what was going on straight off of the timeline in vegas. The project consists of avi's directly from the capture. I have the one track above it with the title bar graphic.

j.

Richard Zlamany April 10th, 2007 11:01 PM

I've had this help considerably with this type of problem and I think it may be worth a try. Change the settings in the properties of the vegas timeline (if they are not already) for the deinterlace method to interpolate. Then render a section that has the problem to see if it fixes the problem.

Even though you may not be deinterlacing this parameter helps with flickering.

Robert Garvey April 11th, 2007 02:53 AM

Also check to see if you have applied a sharpening filter to the time line.

Dan Keaton April 11th, 2007 09:44 AM

For the pans, what shutter speed were you using.

Try 1/60th for pans, to eliminate the strobing effect that may occur.

Hubert Duijzer April 11th, 2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Zlamany (Post 657976)
I've had this help considerably with this type of problem and I think it may be worth a try. Change the settings in the properties of the vegas timeline (if they are not already) for the deinterlace method to interpolate. Then render a section that has the problem to see if it fixes the problem.

Even though you may not be deinterlacing this parameter helps with flickering.

Thanks, that did the trick for me today. I had some original 4:3 PAL 50i footage wich looked great, but after rendering to PAL 16:9 i had some terrible interlacing stripes. That interpolate setting fixed it completely.

Richard Zlamany April 11th, 2007 12:36 PM

Glad that helped.

I just leave that setting to interpolate because I often reverse footage and receive flickering. If the setting is set to interpolate the flickering is cured.

I don't see why this setting would help, since I am not deinterlacing, but it does and for that I am greatful.

John Wheeler April 11th, 2007 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I've done some more experimenting. Not sure of a final DVD result, but I have a good feeling that it's going to work. I rendered to an avi, then brought the avi into a new timeline, right clicked, properties and reduced interlace flicker. While previewing on a TV that seems to fix the awful jitter problem I was having. Now I just need to test it on a dvd.

As for the other problem, the footage "warping" when overlaying a graphic, is a real mystery. Everything looks fine on my computer monitors. I've burned to dvd and played through an lcd tv, and it looks fine there, but when I play from the timeline or dvd to a cheap-o tv, the footage looks warped around where the overlayed graphic is. I tried playing with the brightness and contrast of the graphic, and sure enough when I would turn the brightness way down, the warping would disappear, but at that point, my graphic was unusable because it looked nothing like the original. Any idea what is going on?

Thanks

j.

Dan Keaton April 11th, 2007 01:33 PM

I would check the colors to ensure that you are within legal range.

Matthew Chaboud April 11th, 2007 06:29 PM

Also keep in mind that playback off of the timeline is often at preview quality. Preview quality playback in Vegas is not deinterlaced, nor is it interlaced for output (unless passing through already interlaced input).

Waviness, stutters... Those are most often interlacing.

If something seems to stutter, try switching the interlacing of the footage in the project media settings.

Better still, try testing the interlacing. You can make sure that Vegas has the correct field-order setting for the media by changing your project settings to double-rate progressive (say, double NTSC, progressive). Make sure that your project settings include deinterlacing (Blend fields, for instance). Set your rendering quality to Good or Best. Now your footage will be de-interlaced to progressive frames. If you use alt+arrow to advance by single frames, you'll have a great test.

If everything is set properly, motion in the footage will look as you expect. If your field order is set improperly in the media settings, successive frames will *bounce* back and forth. Try reversing field order for the footage and see what happens.

Simply:
1. Set your project to double-rate, progressive.
2. Set your rendering quality to Good or Best.
3. Advance by single frames.