DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can Vegas deinterlace 60i to 60P? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/93587-can-vegas-deinterlace-60i-60p.html)

Peter Moretti May 9th, 2007 02:08 AM

Can Vegas deinterlace 60i to 60P?

I think the title sums it up pretty well. I want to convert 60i footage into 60P. Can Vegas do this? Thanks much!

Guy Bruner May 9th, 2007 07:07 AM

You can render out to 59.94 frames per second from a 29.97 timeline. If I understand correctly, Vegas converts each field into a frame when you do this.

Tom Roper May 9th, 2007 07:26 AM

So you can deinterlace with Vegas. Is there a choice of methods? I'm looking for motion adaptive deinterlacing. In motion adaptive, the even and odd frames are weaved together on static scenes, but on motion vertically interpolated to eliminate ghost trails.

Weaving together even and odd frames for static scenes is best because it preserves the full vertical resolution. The drawback is that when you are weaving frames that are spatially 1/60th second apart, if there is relative motion then ghost trails will result. Vertical interpolation takes one set of fields, all even or all odd and discards the other set. It then interpolates between the lines to fill the gaps. It solves the problem of ghost trails, but because you are throwing away half the fields, vertical resolution is halved. Motion adaptive attempts to solve both problems by weaving even and odd fields for static scenes, and interpolating where there is motion.

So can anyone answer? Does Vegas have motion adaptive deinterlacing as a menu choice?

David Jimerson May 9th, 2007 11:22 AM

No. Vegas does not to do motion-adaptive deinterlacing. (Neither does any other NLE.)

You have the choice of interpolating fields or blending fields (which is more than most other NLEs offer.)

Tom Roper May 9th, 2007 04:46 PM

Thanks David.

Peter Moretti May 9th, 2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jimerson (Post 675665)
No. Vegas does not to do motion-adaptive deinterlacing. (Neither does any other NLE.)

You have the choice of interpolating fields or blending fields (which is more than most other NLEs offer.)

David,

Are you aware of any programs/add-ins that can do 60i to 60P motion-adaptive deinterlacing? I'm looking to deinterlace footage of fast moving subjects. So there will be a lot of inter-frame movement in my footage.

BTW, I have Avid Xpress Pro 5.7 and Vegas 7 is on the way.

P.S. After re-reading this thread, it seems that interpolation would be the proper Vegas deinterlacing choice for fast moving subjects. And since my subject will always be fast moving, motion adaptive isn't necessary. Is that correct? Thanks!

David Jimerson May 9th, 2007 07:44 PM

DVFilm Maker does.

But you're right -- if all your footage has a lot of motion, then interpolation is what you want.

Peter Jefferson May 9th, 2007 07:48 PM

another optionis to grab the vdub plugin called ""smart deinterlace"" and run that within vegas

apart from that, interpolation is ur best option

John McManimie May 9th, 2007 09:27 PM

1) Download and install Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter

2) Create a 60P (59.940) project
- Field Order: None (progressive scan)
- Deinterlace method: None

3) Switches
- Smart Resample

4) Apply the Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter

5) Render as 60P

Peter Moretti May 9th, 2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jimerson (Post 676157)
DVFilm Maker does.

But you're right -- if all your footage has a lot of motion, then interpolation is what you want.

From what I understand, DVFilm Maker only converts to 24P, not 60P. But THANKS MUCH for all your help!

Peter Jefferson May 10th, 2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McManimie (Post 676242)
1) Download and install Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter

2) Create a 60P (59.940) project
- Field Order: None (progressive scan)
- Deinterlace method: None

3) Switches
- Smart Resample

4) Apply the Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace filter

5) Render as 60P

should point out... apply the filter on the TRACK or output.. NOT the clip.. this will crash the plugin

David Jimerson May 10th, 2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 676257)
From what I understand, DVFilm Maker only converts to 24P, not 60P. But THANKS MUCH for all your help!

D'oh! Right. Sorry!

Tom Roper May 10th, 2007 03:20 PM

I tried the VirtualDub Smart Deinterlacer, no disrespect intended for Donald Graft but the result in my opinion is pretty bad.

I don't know how to use the AVISynth scripts yet, so I didn't try those tools.

So far, the one that's most effective is Tmpgenc Xpress, choose the default options from the filters tab, "interpolation-(motion)adjusted - deinterlace only when necessary". When you go to the output tab, from the dropdown box for video mode you choose "progressive" and it enables the filter you just selected above. Then from the dropdown box for motion search precision, you choose "highest-with error correction".

You encode and resize HDV for std def DVD with the motion adapted deinterlacing algorithm above in one step without the intermediate conversion to AVI, thus saving all the disk space.

The result was excellent, free of interlace artifacts and ghosting. I wish I had done the project this way in the first place.

Peter Moretti May 10th, 2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 676822)
The result was excellent, free of interlace artifacts and ghosting. I wish I had done the project this way in the first place.

Tom, were the interpolated results better than Vegas's interpolation?

I'm not concerned with SELECTIVELY applying interpolation because my subject will always be fast moving. I'm just wondering if Tmpgenc Xpress interpolates better than Vegas does.

Thanks much!

Tom Roper May 10th, 2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 676901)
Tom, were the interpolated results better than Vegas's interpolation?

I'm not concerned with SELECTIVELY applying interpolation because my subject will always be fast moving. I'm just wondering if Tmpgenc Xpress interpolates better than Vegas does.

Thanks much!

I honestly don't know. I didn't try Vegas because it doesn't have motion adaptive deinterlacing. But since YOU asked...I will give Vegas deinterlace a twirl tonight, and report back. I suspect it will do an excellent job since even if it's only bobbing 1080i in the worst case by tossing away 1/2 of the fields, the vertical resolution drop to 540 lines still exceeds the 480 lines in SD-DVD meaning that a vertical interpolation is likely to be sufficient. Perhaps there is nothing to be gained by going motion adaptive.