DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Tony Hall December 8th, 2004 01:52 PM

Making DVD duplicates

Does DVD Architect let you make copies of DVDs without having to keep a copy of all the footage and a copy of the project?

Many programs let you burn a DVD and then use that DVD as a master for all other copies in the future.

Lars Siden December 8th, 2004 02:33 PM

Hi Tony,

You can use Nero or what-ever-recent burner program you like to copy NON PROTECTED DVD:s.

// Lazze \\

Edward Troxel December 8th, 2004 02:34 PM

Personally, I always burn from folders on the hard drive. However, I don't know why it wouldn't work. You may have more potential for a bad burn, though. When you choose burn, have you tried simply selecting that drive as the source? I'm sure you'd have to have TWO drives (one for reading, one for writing). The only reason I can think of for not work would be if DVDA didn't like reading from the root directory instead of a folder.

Stephen van Vuuren December 8th, 2004 10:29 PM

DVX & 24p 1080p, square vs. non-square pixels

I'm starting post on an experimental short that I have shot using both DVX100a footage (24p w/ Anamorphic) and 35mm still motordrive which I convert to 24fps 1080p HD using Twixtor in After-Effects.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to edit this film in Vegas and preserve DVX100a resolution.

The final outout will be 1080p 24p HD, uncompresses (it's only a 6 minute short).

So:

(1) Edit the DVX footage first in 0.9 DV 23.97 project, then uprez to HD (I have PhotoZoom Pro) - however, what's the best way to get square pixels? Then, edit the DVX uprez footage with HD footage in 1080p 23.97 project?

(2) Uprez footage first, before editing (I have one hour of raw footage), then edit everything in 1080p 24fps project?

(3) Can you create a HD 1080 project with non-square pixels during edting, then stretch at output?

(4) Something else?

Dan Lum December 9th, 2004 04:07 AM

MPEG2 output size

I tried to render a 1.5 hr avi out to mpeg2 with 'best' settings (in Vegas4). output mpeg2 file came @ 4.0GB and the corresponding .ac3 file @ 134MB.

Then why is it that when i go to DVDA, it says that disc space used as '6.1GB'!? DVDA also wants to recompress the video, obviously to make it fit on the DVD.

I believe I've output a MPEG2 file this big before with no complaints from DVDA.

Thanks for your help.

Rob Lohman December 9th, 2004 04:42 AM

It surely should work. Are you running the latest version of DVDA?

Dan Lum December 9th, 2004 05:34 AM

yep, 1.0d

Vince Debart December 9th, 2004 05:34 AM

Vegas Audio ?

At what level do you run the peaks on the audiometers..At work we use VU and Dorrough audiometers so the Vegas meters are a little different

It seams I need to run them a little low

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Vince

Rob Lohman December 9th, 2004 05:41 AM

1) I would edit first and then uprez, should save you lots of time and disk space

The numbers (I think) you need:

- start Vegas
- create a new project with NTSC DV Widescreen!
- load some footage
- set the preview to Best (Full)
- and hit the save button besides it
- the resulting file should be 872 x 480

So you need to output at that resolution with uncompressed AVI
at 1.0 pixel aspect ratio.

However, 1080 / 480 = 2.25 and 1920 / 872 is not (it's 2.2018 etc.).
So you might want to export at 1920 / 2.25 = 854 or 852 to get
to 854 x 480 which *might* upscale better lateron.

2) nope

3) yes you can

Just enter the resolution and square pixels (make sure it is
progressive!) into the new project settings in Vegas. To what
would you like to stretch when outputting?

Edward Troxel December 9th, 2004 08:01 AM

You definitely want to keep everything below zero. Lately I've be running mine so it bounces around -12. Remember that -20 is the same as "zero" in the analog world.

Edward Troxel December 9th, 2004 08:03 AM

DVDA sometimes "misguesses" at what the size will actually be. Try building the project and see if it actually does come out to bigger than 4.3 gig.

Vince Debart December 9th, 2004 09:15 AM

Thanks Edward about 10 years ago we got a device call a digicart a kind of NLE for announce and VO audio it was kind of hard to get use to recording into digital that much lower. Now I need to do the same on the Vegas and Avid

Thanks

Vince

Shane Schmidt December 9th, 2004 11:18 AM

Rendering just an alpha channel; possible?

Does anyone know if V5 will render an alpha channel only?
I have some logo projects that that need to be brought into Adobe P (my co-editor uses it), but he only wants the alpha channel rendered. My fear is that if I just render them against a black background & he goes to chroma out the black some of the logo's also have black in them & well, ya know what happens then...

Thanks in adavance.

Shane

Edward Troxel December 9th, 2004 11:26 AM

If you render with alpha channel, you WON'T NEED to chroma key. The alpha will not be visable anyway.

Shane Schmidt December 9th, 2004 11:46 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply Edward.
Now how do I just render the alpha then?
I just did a test with a logo and Vegas defauts with a black background when I rendered it. When I brought the test render back into Vegas & dropped a different background under the test render you cannot see it.
I feel that I should know the answer to this but I sadly do not ;)

Shane