DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas editing question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98289-vegas-editing-question.html)

Jason Donaldson July 5th, 2007 08:40 PM

Vegas editing question

Here's what I want to do, not sure if it's possible as I have only had Vegas for a month now.

I want to have the video and audio playing, then have both simaltaneously slow down to a stop within 2-3 seconds (imagine cutting the power on a turntable that is playing an album).

Can this be done?

Don Bloom July 5th, 2007 09:22 PM

For the video insert a velocity envelope and set the points. The first point at the head of the clip will be 100% the second would be set to 0%-this will slow the video down gradually over the 2 or 3 seconds you mentioned.
To slow the audio down you can do 1 of 2 things-1) either hold down CONTROL and pull the end of the audio clip to the right until th eaudio matches up with the video OR go into NON REAL TIME FXs and there is a Tme stretch effect that might do the job for you. Slowing down the audio to match will be the hardest part of the job.

Don

Jesse Redman July 5th, 2007 09:35 PM

There may be others who know of better methods. But here is how I would slow to a stop:

In Vegas, select, Insert, Video Envelopes, Event Velocity.

This will give you a velocity line on the currently selected video.

Double click on the line where you want the slow down to start. A square dot will appear on the line. Double click on the line where you want the video to come to a stop. Again a square dot will appear on the line. You can drag the second dot down or you can right click on the second dot and you will see a drop down menu. Select "Set to" and set it to "0".

This will only slow down the video, not the audio.

Then right click on the audio track and select "Open in Sound Forge". Make a note of the beginning time and the end time of the velocity slowdown in Vegas.

Select these times (by dragging your cursor) in Sound Forge. Then select, Effects, Pitch, Bend. You will get a window, with the wave form and again a velocity line with several square dots. Drag all of the dots, except the first one, to the lower right of the editing window. Be sure and select the maximum semitones at the left of the editing window. This is about 24 semitones or two octaves. This will not stop the sound but will slow it down considerably over the duration you selected.

Then save the file from Sound Forge. Be sure not to save it to an external file if you want the effect to show up immediately in Vegas. Also, I would only perform this operation on a copy as a precaution not to mess up any original files.

Good luck,

Jason Donaldson July 5th, 2007 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys....sounds like it should work.