strange experience with XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

strange experience with XL1S

Also, weird thing happening here....I have the 16X, camera on tripod, lens zoomed out, focusing on a picture frames on the wall...shooting down the hall...I focus on a distant picture frame, and then focus on a frame in the foreground - I mark the lens with a piece of gaffer's tape at the point where I end the foreground focus (like I was racking focus)....the strange thing is....the focus ring doesn't always end up at the same tape mark - I have the camera turned on in the manual mode and manual focus (without tape in) and just practicing racking with the 16X zoom lens...but the focus mark changes...IS THIS NORMAL?? I was reading somewhere in the manual, that as the camera's internal temperatures raise, the lens may need to be re-focused....Has anybody had this happen to them?

UPDATE: I have noticed if I change the speed of the rack focus, this is what really changes the index mark...there must be a "clutch" inside that shifts (even in manual mode) that makes the outter focusing ring shift...??
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Major Player

the blurry tracking is normal. it doesnt look as bad on a larger monitor. try slower cinematic-like pans. the 16x servo lens is a servo lens.. not a manual lens. when you turn the focus ring its really like pushing a button to activate a motor. try continuously rotating the ring.. it never stops in either direction. the xl1s's manual lenses which can be purchased seperately dont have this problem.

you will never be able to leave marks on it.. it will always shift.
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought I was losing my mind or my eyesight??!!

I noticed if I do a rack the focus SLOWER, it holds it well...but I am I practicing and I don't rack it at the same speed everytime, it shifts...I can see why people are buying the manual lens. If you did a lot of rack focusing, this would drive the operator batty!!
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Major Player

get a 35mm adapter.. cheap.. and give you the DOF of a 35mm slr lens
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

what is the 35mm adapter??
Dean
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Major Player

long explanation made short:

you know how you have a large depth of field and its like almost everything is in focus unless you zoom out alot? and how 35mm slr lenses for still cameras have a deep dof and you have lots of control over the focus? a 35mm adapter lets you use 35mm slr lenses (which are extremely cheap..and you can build a nice collection of different focal lengths)

you cant just throw one on the front of lens.. because then it would be turned into a supertelephoto lens.. because your ccd is alot smaller than 35mm film.. so these adapters have ground glass which act like projection screens.. and your camera uses macros to zoom and focus on these screens.. you can spend 10's of thousands of $$ or you can buy a cheap adapter like a letus, sg35 etc... i have a letus35 and an xl1s.. the letus cost me $300 2nd hand and my video looks amazing (IMHO). check out alternative imaging forums.. you can spend hours looking at peoples footage.. you will become addicted..i guarantee it

Last edited by Andrew Todd; February 9th, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Andrew Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

damn, you guys know your stuff

Things are making more sense....but this is a WHOLE different world than still photography. Believe it or not, I teach a photography class (film) but I don't know a thing (obviously) about video and what 35mm adapters do on the XL1S...I know there is an XL1S adapter...is that the same thing?? But anyhow....i sure appreciate the insight...and I will check out that site you mentioned....or maybe I shouldn't...??
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Major Player

basically you get the same image that your slr camera would get through the same lenses. its like taking a ground glass focusing screen on your still camera and capturing the image with your video camera... but these adapters leave your still camera out of the equation. :) they create amazing images. The letus that i have uses a small vibrator to vibrate out the grain on the GG. I use a focus gear that is mounted on my 35mm lenses and pull focus like that. its just like shooting with 35mm film in the focusing sense. it adds a whole new aspect to your "video"making experience.
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

the only bad thing is that I only have longer lenses in my 35mm bag....an 80-200mm L-glass, and it would be hard shooting inside with these if the magnification changes...I do have a 12-24mm lens...and a 35-70mm...the 12-24 may work pretty well.
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Major Player

you can get a 50mm off ebay for real cheap.. i have a 1.8... a 1.4 would be better (and more costly) i paid $20 for my canon 50mm fd and $45 for my canon 28mm fd. its great to have as many lenses as possible.. to buy the 3x wide angle lens for the xl1s you're looking upwards of $800 .. or you can spend less than $100 on a 24mm fd lens on ebay..

my 50mm the lens i use the most.. and i have to buy a telephoto lens too

i like prime lenses instead of the zoom lenses.. less light loss,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog