What shotgun mic is good for XL1S ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What shotgun mic is good for XL1S ?

I'm in the process of buying a shotgun mic...I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this...even if I have to hardwire it to the camera. I'd rather have it hooked up to a radio transmitter - can this be done with a decent shotgun?? I know at weddings, many shooters use little radio controlled clip on mics, but I want good sound because I'll be shooting in 16 bit audio mode. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Dean
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #2
Wrangler

Wireles mics can provide excellent sound, especially for events like weddings., whr the primary interest is voice. Many wireless transmitter units allow connection of an external mic, when you shop, look for that capability.

Prices vary widely - what is your shotgun mic budget?

Popular better mics for the XL1 series include the Sennherise ME66/K6 combo, the AT-897 and AT-835. Stepping down a notch some folks use the Azden lines but I've read mixed results (avoid the low cost models).

Read the past threads here for lots of comments on mics.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

shotgun mic

Hi Don, and thanks for the info...
I'll be using a shotgun mic for a movie production we are beginning. I need something that will keep ambient noise low around the actor...can the wireless external give me that option?? I also noticed, the Canon has an ambient noise reduction switch (ATT??) that you can use - is this effective or do I need a particular mic for this??
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Major Player

if you're using the onboard mic use att. or else it will pick up everything .. including the camera operator. if you're serious about achieving a good level of quality sound invest in a decent shotgun. you've got a good quality cam.. dont cheap out on the sound.. it'll definately be worth it.

you can pick them up for a good price.. heres two at835b i got bid out on last month..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Wrangler

The trick to keeping down ambient sound pickup are to get the mic close to the talent (within a few feet), and use a directional mic (e.g., shotgun) aimed at the talent.

The shotgun works by having reduced pickup of sound to the sides and back, but different types have different patterns. Some give high rejection of sound from directly behind the mic, some give more rejection of sound to the side than to the back. Check the specs - they usually provide pick up pattern diagrams.

The MIC ATT setting can reduce the noise floor somewhat, but it may also require a mic with higher output. The main point being that MIC ATT can help deal with venus with high sound level and with hot mics.

Wireless systems can work OK, and avoid the issues of dealing wiht lots of cables, but generally are not as good as a good wired mic. and cost more. Low cost wireless mics systems are, well, cheap and can sound it.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hardwire v.s. wireless

so it is best to get a good directional microphone and hard wire it to the camera -OR - can I hook this microphone up to a wireless?? Or record sound on a separate player and sync sound with sticks?
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Wrangler

Yes to all three questions. (But the term hard wire implies a permanent conenction - I assume you mean a direct connection via an appropriate XLR adapter). Good, reliable wireless systems with low noise are not cheap. It is a situational judgement as to which is best.

Direct wired to the camcorder is usually the most fool proof, if runing wires works well in the venue.

Wireless lets the talent and shooter move about unfetered.

Recording to separate recorder may make it easier to get better sound thanks to external mixers, multiple mics, and a better dedicated audio recorder, while allowing the camcorder to move about or be remote fromthe audio mixer.

Do what works best for your shoot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog