Sanyo HD1 - New Samples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old May 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD1 - New Samples

A few months ago there were a big rush to see samples of the HD1, for good reason, we all wanted to make sure it would be a somewhat sensible investment. If nothing else a sensible toy.. (smile)

I for one have discovered everything I kind of already did know, light control, a steady camera, low ISO etc. leads to pretty nice results from the HD1. (particuarly considered its petite size)

Maybe its time to do a second round of samples, now when a bunch of very capable people, most much more so that I am, have had the camera for about a month or so... what fantastic video have you guys managed to produce with it..?

Personally I captured several nice shots Saturday in Caliente California, one of them uploaded to my site. Captured at iso 50 on tripod..

http://www.bophoto.com/HDV/video/index.html

As I said, most people in this forum really know what they are doing.. so lets see some great shots. (smile) Not the first day "I just unpacked my HD1" stuff.

Bo
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

37 shots file.

Hi! This is my first post in this forum.
I´ve been reading here for a couple of months and finally i got my HD1 some weeks ago.
I´ve uploaded a file with 37 selected shots. This file is 163sec/183Mb long, converted to avi in MP4Cam2AVI_v2.29, so there is no quality loss.
I´m trying to upload a new file with 124 shots, 10 minutes/650 Mb, but I´m having some problems to upload this ammount of data.
Nice shots, Bo. This landscape seems to be a very beatiful place.
Thaks to all, and sorry about my english, I´m from Madrid (Spain).

The file:
http://files.filefront.com/HD1Footag.../fileinfo.html

I hope you enjoy this!
Bye!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Carlos,

WOW, now thats a serious sample. and nice looking also. I would say that for anyone wanting to see what the Sanyo can make this is a worthwhile download.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

124 shots.

Thanks Bo.

The 124 shots file:
http://files.filefront.com/HD1Footag.../fileinfo.html
Enjoy!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Carlos,
Fantastic footage indeed! Is the sun in Madrid doing the magic here? ;)

Can you share the general information of your setup? ISO, focus, exposure, stablization...

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Carlos,

Congratulations! Please see my next post....wrong manipulation...sorry
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Carlos,

I do really hope that I am not dreaming.... I 've got my camera since only a few days but unfortunately, without having the time yet to experiment but, really, I wasn't expecting so much...such a quality!

What I have learned from your footage is that I urgently need a tripod and consequently and according to Sanyo, I will have to desactivate the stabilization. Am I correct?
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Hanoteau
do really hope that I am not dreaming.... I 've got my camera since only a few days but unfortunately, without having the time yet to experiment but, really, I wasn't expecting so much...such a quality!
Don't you love when such a little camera turns out to be a good thing. ;-) But for what its worth, Carlos really is doing things very carefully and mostly by the book, clearly this camera will perform when treated nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Hanoteau
What I have learned from your footage is that I urgently need a tripod and consequently and according to Sanyo, I will have to desactivate the stabilization. Am I correct?
Technically speaking you can leave the stabilization on... but why...? on the other hand you will find that the camera seems to produce slightly sharper images with the stabilization turned off, so this is actually a benefit in the pursuit of quality. Besides, the tripod does the stabilisation, so there is no reason in the first place to leave it on.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh sure Bo, I am so excited by these results. Now, I will have to learn using it in ideal conditions. A new challenge is born..;>)
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi, Thanks for your comments.
The clips were shooted with different settings, I´m still learning to use it, but most of them was:

Tripod and Remote Control (to eliminate vibrations when zooming or pressing buttons).
Image Stabilizer: OFF
Exposition Measure: MULTI
Iso: Auto and 50
White balance: AUTO
Filter: NO
Manual Exposure: S (F AUTO, Shutter 1/60)
Scene Select: FULL AUTO.

No Noise Reduction, No Flicker reduction, no Digital Zoom.

I´ve noticed that sometimes the footage looks sharper when zoomed.

It´s a shame the diagonal "\" bug of the codec/scaler, if Sanyo corrects it with a firmware update, the quality could be amazing in good light conditions for a camcorder of this price.
I´m e-mailing Sanyo reporting the bug. If many users e-mail them, maybe they will correct it soon. I´m telling them too to keep the video out when shooting, and a higher bitrate option. This would be great.

Thanks again.
Bye!

Carlos Serrano.
CG Animator.
www.i-real3d.com
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Carlos, thank you for the great footage. You opened my eyes. The HD1 has much better movie mode than any still digital camera. Thanks again.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Carlos,

Those are great videos....I wish I had the artistic skill.

How do you do it with the focus....my camera seems to be constantly "fishing" for focus....did you lock it?

How about those ones where you change the focus...are you doing it it by hand? can you use the remote? or maybe your HD1 knows how to do cool focus changes?

Thanks,
Felipe
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Stephen, I´m happy if the information has been usefull for you.:)

Felipe, about the changing focus question, the answer is... casuality. I´ve selected the best looking part of each shot.
For the constant focus, manual or locked. I think in this camera we cannot change the focus manually when recording. I´m trying to make a 35mm adapter for the HD1, this will solve the problem (and will give a film look to the footage).

Thanks again!
Bye!
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #14
Inner Circle

:)
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Serrano
I´m trying to make a 35mm adapter for the HD1, this will solve the problem (and will give a film look to the footage).
Bye!
Carlos,
What you are saying here, I don't understand. Would you be so kind to clarify your view?

Btw, I've shown your footage to some colleagues at my work. Sanyo will get a new client very soon...maybe two...(smile).

Your film looks terrific for this camera. What kind of tripod would you recommend?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)