Sanyo HD1 - New Samples - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM   #31
Tourist

New macro footage shot and my experience with the sanyo HD1

First off, thanks to everyone on the is forum for sharing their time and footage. I read through almost all of it, finally deciding to take the plunge and bought it from www.plemix.com for us$600! (the only downside form buying it here is that there's no store warrantee, only manufacturer's warantee)
I also got the ADATA 4GB SD card for about $99 online and it works great! I can now shoot exactly 56 min 23 sec on a empty card.

Anyways I am very very glad i did. The footage from this camera, although not "perfect" by professional standards is to my eye surprising good. I'm in the film business myself and I have no doubt that me or someone else will use this cam to make something great. The compact convenience of this cam allows you to shoot whenever and whatever....a really important factor in making a good film is to have lots of footage to cut together.

Speaking of editing, I've found that using Quicktime Pro with the .MP4 directly from the camera works very well and its extremely fast. You can trim, add unlimited sound tracks etc. I havent gotten around to purchasing Vegas 6 yet as others here have suggested but i did try the Ulead MovieFactory that came with the camera and for simple editing and burnign to DVD, it seems to be more than sufficient.

Anyways, I've uploaded a macro shot i took outside of my house on the day the camera arrived. You can download it from the link below. The file was trimmed in Quicktime Pro then reexported as .mp4 using "pass through" option so no recompression i assume. The "music track" you hear was not me being artsy but the song from a portable radio about 3 feet to the right of the spider. I used macro manual focus and put the lens about 2 inches from the spider - all hand held, no tripod. I turned image stabilization off and I'm using 3.5 aperture and auto shutter.

enjoy!

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/2981399...ceSml.mp4.html
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM   #32
New Boot

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this new thread and the original HD1 thread. Thanks to you folks, I was well informed about all the issues with the HD1 before I bought it, and it was all the great samples that pushed me over the edge to buy it.

Since I'm not a "pro" I can live with almost all the faults mentioned here, but the one thing I didn't think would really bother me has become the biggest issue of all: the diagonal problem. I know in a lot of footage it doesn't really matter, but the more I shoot the more I see it, especially since I shoot a lot with a uniform sky as a background.

I know there's been mention here about a possible firmware upgrade, but in my experience doing service, nothing really will get done unless there are enough people actually complaining about it. Can anyone suggest the correct way to contact the right people at Sanyo (as a US customer) so that I can at least put in my two cents? Think there's any way to start a grass-roots effort to get Sanyo to take notice?

The reason I bring this up in this thread is because I'd seen Carlos' post about contacting service on his side, and it got me thinking that one or two complaints probably isn't going to get any action. Unlike some companies, Sanyo seems to be pretty conservative about releasing firmware.

Thanks again for all the great info!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM   #33
New Boot

This is my first post, as i am doing research into getting this cam.

Im no vid-buff and dont ever intend to be. Im more of a showoff and want an HD cam that can take good vid i can use on my 32" Samsung HDTV at an affordable price.
I got a child on the way at the end of the year and want to buy one for the summer in preparation (before having to fork out on cots, prams, nappies etc etc).

Can i ask though, what is this diagonal problem you speak of ??
Is it really a big issue, or do the positives outway the negatives ??
Coz im probably going to get one from PlayAsia.com for £380.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM   #34
Major Player

"bought it from www.plemix.com for us$600! (the only downside form buying it here is that there's no store warrantee, only manufacturer's warantee)"

I bought mine from Plemix also, scanned that manufacturer warranty card into the computer and then e-mailed it to local Sanyo who said they would guarantee it for a year. I just said a friend bought it in HK which is not far from the truth.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:21 PM   #35
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
"bought it from www.plemix.com for us$600! (the only downside form buying it here is that there's no store warrantee, only manufacturer's warantee)"
Thats cheap (£320 +-), though doesnt come with an SD Card.
But thinking of it, if i do buy from overseas i could be stung for import tax which could be over £100 to the UK.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Kinch
Can i ask though, what is this diagonal problem you speak of ??
Is it really a big issue, or do the positives outway the negatives ??
Just so I don't start something here, let me say that the "diagonal problem" I mentioned may not be a big deal in many situations, as has been pointed out by others here. (though it's going to drive me crazy for what I'm trying to do)
Check out all the great demo footage everyone has posted, and see how you feel. There's some in this thread, as well as the original long thread at http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58228

Here's a little info on the issue, for reference:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...068#post459068
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...+to+a+bug.html
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Barnes
The reason I bring this up in this thread is because I'd seen Carlos' post about contacting service on his side, and it got me thinking that one or two complaints probably isn't going to get any action. Unlike some companies, Sanyo seems to be pretty conservative about releasing firmware.
Well, they definitely need to be unconservative with this camera.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Here is an article on increasing compression performance by reducing noise in images. Doubly for this camera:

http://www.digitalcontentproducer.co...306/index.html
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #39
Major Player

37 Shots

Wow, Bravo !

I'm simply amazed, how did you manage to do that with such a compressed format and small camera?

A few questions:

(1) What was your workflow? after your recorded, what format did you edit on and then any Colour Correction applied, finally what Encoder did you use for DVD Mpeg2?

(2) Did you use any "Macro" function on the close up shot.

(3) I understand that this camera is great for outdoor "bright" situations, howwever any clips of indoor low light situations,.

Thanks In advanced.

Anhar
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #40
Major Player

"Unlike some companies, Sanyo seems to be pretty conservative about releasing firmware."

Have a look at this:

http://www.sanyo.de/produkte_eng/dig...&P_ID=1&ptyp=2

:)
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #41
Regular Crew

That update is for the C1, not the HD1.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #42
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Barnes

BLIMEY, they dont like the HD1 at all !!!
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #43
Major Player

"That update is for the C1, not the HD1."

There hasn't been a firmware upgrade for the HD1, Bob.

It's something we all hope will happen.

I posted the link to illustrate that Sanyo, if indeed conservative about firmware upgrades, have at least done it for an earlier Xacti model.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Yes, it does leave a lot to be desired in terms of explaining what they mean, and those long HD review videos. Well, it's not like it's a review site like camcorderinfo, but that's another story. At least it is not like a review site where they act like erratic monkeys smacked out on Jiff Rock (i.e. "Monkeys on Jiff Rock", because the monkeys are so dumb they think the light coloured jiff rock powder is something else illicit, and upon using it they are going crazy with pain and delusion).

If Sanyo wants to counteract the negative reviews, they need to upgrade the Firmware, and in light of H264 camera marketing, upgrade features and performance, and change the model number.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #45
Major Player

Yeah, if Akihabara News downloaded Carlos Serrano's 124 shots from the Sanyo HD1 they might see the camera in a different light.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)