Monitor or Matte box? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitor or Matte box?

Help, I have a couple bucks leftover in my camera purchase fund. I am debating between a matte box and an external lcd.
I realize these things are apples and oranges when it comes to improving the hd100's performance, but still, somebody must have bought both, or made the same either/or choice.
I would want a quality matte box, not some indie snap thing (no offence), so the price is comparable.
So anyone able to rate the relative benefit derived?
Trade-offs - either focussing and colour feedback are improved, or light control and filtration are improved.
James Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Kino-Eye

I'd say this really depends on your shooting style. For example, I'm always holding or putting the camera in positions in which it would be hard to use the flip-out LCD panel or eyepiece, so I'd opt for a monitor. Using the camera on a jib arm really calls for a monitor, for example.

I'm really obsessed with image quality, so whenever I can I carry along my Sony PVM-8042Q 9" CRT field monitor in lieu of an LCD. It's heavy and a pain to carry, but when I see the results in the editing room, the pain is all forgotten and the warm feeling of having shot beautiful video takes over. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a high-quality LCD display... but they are still expensive and don't have the accurate shadow detail that the PVM-8042Q offers. The good LCDs keep getting better, and the day the PVM-8042Q dies, it's certainly going to get replaced with an LCD.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sony-8042q

This Sony monitor is a cheaper option, but will it be sufficient for focussing, at 250 lines? Certainly would be good for colour.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Daniels
This Sony monitor is a cheaper option, but will it be sufficient for focussing, at 250 lines? Certainly would be good for colour.
Your right, it's not good for focus unless you Zoom in all the way. I depend on the Focus Assist feature of the JVC, Sony, and Panasonic cameras for absolute critical focus. On shoots with a budget I rent the Panasonic BT LH900P 8.4 inch LCD HD/SD Monitor, with it's 1024 x 768 native resolution (that's one reason why it's so expensive) it's good enough to focus HD. The LH900P supports SD (SDI/component/composite, PAL, NTSC) and HD (Sony HD-SDI/Analog, Varicam HD-SDI 720/60/59.94) input. It has a 8.4" TFT LCD screen with excellent brightness and a wide viewing angle, battery power, and a very cool feature is VariCam gamma, so you can see what your film gamma image looks like, and on top of all that, it's also got a waveform monitor. A small LCD monitor for all reasons. I only wish it was less expensive, and then I could replace my CRT with it.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:33 AM   #5
2nd Unit TV

You might want to consider the Sony MFM-HT75W. In having difficulty with the Redrock yesterday, I called a friend, Taylor Wigton, who thankfully dropped everything and headed over to show me how to tame the Redrock. As an aside, his is a great solution and one that for all the help I found on the Redrock site last night, I couldn't find. Don't know why Redrock doesn't sell them this way. Anyway, back on subject. The Sony he carried with him was the same one used on the set of "24" during his testing with Rodney Charters and I have to say, for $500, it's an incredible, widescreen, LCD, HD monitor. The story on it can be found at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1820955,00.asp and B&H had the best price at around $473. Hope this helps.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:20 AM   #6
Major Player

have used a 13" tv/ vcr combo in the beginning, purchased a 7" lcd on camera monitor, but also have now a 14" sony monitor. almost all of shootings are stationary in a theater/ studio/ live shot environment, so i need to "see" what i been doing.
have no expirience/ qualification in how to use a matte box.
i guess it's depend on what you're doing and your expirence.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Capt. Quirk

If you shoot outdoors, a matte box might help your shots better. For indoors, it isn't overly necessary.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I would go with a monitor. Lets you actually see what you are shooting.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
You might want to consider the Sony MFM-HT75W. In having difficulty with the Redrock yesterday, I called a friend, Taylor Wigton, who thankfully dropped everything and headed over to show me how to tame the Redrock. As an aside, his is a great solution and one that for all the help I found on the Redrock site last night, I couldn't find. Don't know why Redrock doesn't sell them this way. Anyway, back on subject. The Sony he carried with him was the same one used on the set of "24" during his testing with Rodney Charters and I have to say, for $500, it's an incredible, widescreen, LCD, HD monitor. The story on it can be found at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1820955,00.asp and B&H had the best price at around $473. Hope this helps.

After a lot of research for a pair of LCDs for field use with the HD100, this is the monitor we chose. I was just about to order a pair of the Sony 19" Wegas, which are just a bit larger in width an height and only a pound or so heavier when I realized that the 19" required the AC adapter which is one mor unnecessary inconvenience in the field or studio.

In fact, it was a a picture of the 17" upside down on a stand, from the "24" article, that led me back to the MFM. Also, it's got a DVI and sub-D input so it can double as a playback monitor in a FCP editing setup.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

for the field, though?

Hi, great info, thanks.
Wondering about portability - I probably should have mentioned that to begin with.
The sony monitor will require an AC power source, and I was thinking DC IDX battery powered.
Any options besides the Marshall I've read about?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Daniels
Hi, great info, thanks.
Wondering about portability - I probably should have mentioned that to begin with.
The sony monitor will require an AC power source, and I was thinking DC IDX battery powered.
Any options besides the Marshall I've read about?

Well, we tend to carry power packs and/or generators for field and at about 14lbs the 17" is a good image size and quality. But there are times when you need a smaller monitor and driving it from the IDX D-tap is a real plus. THe problem with the HD100 is that you need a monitor that will accept a 720p component input and that means either big bucks for a small pro HD monitor or something like the Sony (by the way, check out the Markertek stand VEsa cobo that allows you to mount monitors like the Sony on a standard 5/8" stand).
Running composite from the HD100 isn't a very good option.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM   #12
2nd Unit TV

Chris- Giveing my word is a serious thing to me and I said I'd post the Wigton fix tonight. Fact is I came straight home after a 16 hour day at a hot, burning up race track in the high desert and dkdn't get to the studio to pick up the notes on the Redrock fix. Let me post it for you all tomorrow after I get some sleep. We're on set at 5:30 tomorrow after a trip to the office so it'll be sometime tomorrow if that's OK.
Jonathan
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems