Downloadable Firmware Upgrade for BR-HD50U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
- Can this be installed over any existing firmware? I purchased the deck less than 3 weeks after release, and it has not been updated since, so I'm guessing it's an early firmware. I didn't see an obvious answer on the JVC site (not obvious to me anyway), only "Affected Models and Serial Numbers".
The deck can only have one firmware loaded, so yes, this will suffice to replace any previous version, I would think. I know I had 104 before the upgrade, and it leapfrogged 105 just fine.

Quote:
- Is this all that I need to bring the deck current in place of existing firmware updates that JVC would have done, had I the time to send the deck in? Or does this only address FCP users?
JVC claims that this firmware upgrade assists with the following:
* Compatibility with Final Cut Pro and other non-linear video editing
equipment.
* Time Code duplicate feature in HDV mode.
* Batch capturing.
* Time Code reading at edit points.

So, I would think it will positively affect users of "other non-linear video editing equipment" beyond FCP users.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM   #17
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Thank you Carl!

I agree with Dave Beaty, JVC allowing us to do our own firmware updates is more than just a little appreciated.

I have a couple additional questions if you don't mind:

- Can this be installed over any existing firmware? I purchased the deck less than 3 weeks after release, and it has not been updated since, so I'm guessing it's an early firmware. I didn't see an obvious answer on the JVC site (not obvious to me anyway), only "Affected Models and Serial Numbers".

- Is this all that I need to bring the deck current in place of existing firmware updates that JVC would have done, had I the time to send the deck in? Or does this only address FCP users?

- Any chance we could see something like this for the HD100U? I'm also guilty of not sending it in for the "A" updates, we need it here more.

Thanks again Carl!
I can't take much credit for this - I'm only the bearer of good news in this case. The real people to thank are our engineers and product managers, who are working overtime to make the product as good as possible.

As I understand it, installing this firmware update will bring your deck up to the latest version. You can only have one version loaded at a time.

Regarding the camera: First, you really need to send it in for the "A" upgrade. Besides several enhancements in features and NLE interface, there may be upgrades that need to be done that affect the overall reliability of the camera. The "A" upgrade involves both firmware and hardware, thus, it must be sent to service to get it done.

Secondly, the next upgrade (for FCP 24p operation optimization) is being worked on. It is not known yet if this will be user-installable or not. The cameras are much more complex than the decks; there are very sensitive calibration settings that must be preserved through the upgrade process. If our engineers can devise a safe way to let owners do it, then they will do so.

Regards, Carl
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:18 PM   #18
Major Player

Most excellent Carl, thank you. I shall hold my breadth until we are able to do so with the HD100 as well, (no worries, blue is a good color on me). ;)

I need this camera and deck most every week, and that will get worse near the end of the year.

Please contact me via email.

Peace!!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM   #19
JVC America

Daniel,

Please e-mail me at carlh@jvc.com

Thanks, Carl
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Carl:
Is there an ETA on the upgrade for HD 100?
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #21
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tebeau
Carl:
Is there an ETA on the upgrade for HD 100?
Not yet. I will post an announcement when the information is available.

Regards, Carl
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #22
Major Player

Firmware installation problem

I've just tried to install the firmware upgrade and it's been over an hour and the screen still says "Updating". I have a strong feeling it isn't. I realize my old firmware has been erased in the process, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to interrupt the process, but I'm not sure there's a process at this point to interrupt. I followed all the instructions (download the update, transfer to a SD, put in the back of the deck, etc.). What should I do? I'm praying I haven't knocked my deck out of commission.

Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #23
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker
I've just tried to install the firmware upgrade and it's been over an hour and the screen still says "Updating". I have a strong feeling it isn't. I realize my old firmware has been erased in the process, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to interrupt the process, but I'm not sure there's a process at this point to interrupt. I followed all the instructions (download the update, transfer to a SD, put in the back of the deck, etc.). What should I do? I'm praying I haven't knocked my deck out of commission.

Thanks.
As the instructions say "In the event that assistance is required please call 1-800-JVC-JVC5" 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern time , Monday thru Friday
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #24
Major Player

I called them and was put in contact w/ people who no longer service JVC. They didn't know who to recommend so I called the company I bought the deck from (Talamas in Mass.) and they helped me out. It turns out I have an older version (0102). My original machine ate tapes and they replaced it with an older one, apparently. We're guessing that my problem may be that my deck is older and doesn't respond to the firmware update (their version was 0105). It didn't erase my original firmware afterall, so it may have done nothing at all which is a good thing. I'm not going to do anything until someone tells me what I should do. I went through the identical steps as the guy at Talamas so it has to be something else. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #25
JVC America

Quote:
I called them and was put in contact w/ people who no longer service JVC. They didn't know who to recommend so I called the company I bought the deck from (Talamas in Mass.) and they helped me out. It turns out I have an older version (0102). My original machine ate tapes and they replaced it with an older one, apparently. We're guessing that my problem may be that my deck is older and doesn't respond to the firmware update (their version was 0105). It didn't erase my original firmware afterall, so it may have done nothing at all which is a good thing. I'm not going to do anything until someone tells me what I should do. I went through the identical steps as the guy at Talamas so it has to be something else. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Bill, did you speak to Dwayne or Lorenzo at JVC? If you did not speak to one of these two guys, please call back and ask for them.
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #26
Major Player

I never got beyond the recording. I didn't realize it was possible to talk to a real person. I'll try on Monday. Is it the same number as on the web site, the general customer service number?

Is it possible that my problem is that I have a Mac. The download comes in as a zip file and has to go through Stuffit Expander. It shows up as br-hd50.up2 which is what they said, but maybe it got corrupted. I have no idea.
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #27
JVC America

Quote:
I never got beyond the recording. I didn't realize it was possible to talk to a real person. I'll try on Monday. Is it the same number as on the web site, the general customer service number?

Is it possible that my problem is that I have a Mac. The download comes in as a zip file and has to go through Stuffit Expander. It shows up as br-hd50.up2 which is what they said, but maybe it got corrupted. I have no idea.
Of course it is possible to talk to a real person. When you hear the recording, select option 7. Make sure to call to from 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern time, Monday thru Friday.

The number is 1-800-582-5825. This is shown in the instructions, and at the top of this forum.

Regards, Carl
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #28
Major Player

I got through to the JVC guy (I'll remember the option 7 part) and he was very helpful - and patient! The firmware update went flawlessly once we figured out the problem. I had more than one file unzipped from the original file and it had put in a an extra number which made it unrecognizeable to the deck (I guess). Once I removed the extra number, no problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:01 AM   #29
New Boot

Firmware 1.0.6 Confirmation & FCP 5.1.1 HDV Recognition

Hi Carl,

My serial no is XXX840 and I wanted to confirm that my Firmware for the BR-HD50 shipped from the factory with the new level 1.0.6 installed. How can I do this?

Also, I've yet to install FCP 5.1.2. My deck works great using IEEE1394 connected directly to my Mac_Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 for Standard Def/DV tape read and write in FCP 5.1.1. I'm also able to have FCP recognize it in DV setting as a throughput for PlayBack viewing/editing.

THE CHALLENGE, I've recorded HD 720/30P shots on my HD100U serial XXX32393. Then on the BR-HD50 Deck (with power off) switched the IEEE1394 to HDV and REMOTE but FCP 5.1.1 does NOT see the deck except as a "Capture Now" option and the video playback throughput does NOT work.

What can I do to fix this?

Like others, compliments to the JVC team for the excellent online Tutorial on how to load the firmware for those that need it. Also great job on working with Apple for the 5.1.2 changes.

Thanks for lending an ear,

Sam
Sam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM   #30
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Miller
Hi Carl,

My serial no is XXX840 and I wanted to confirm that my Firmware for the BR-HD50 shipped from the factory with the new level 1.0.6 installed. How can I do this?

Also, I've yet to install FCP 5.1.2. My deck works great using IEEE1394 connected directly to my Mac_Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 for Standard Def/DV tape read and write in FCP 5.1.1. I'm also able to have FCP recognize it in DV setting as a throughput for PlayBack viewing/editing.

THE CHALLENGE, I've recorded HD 720/30P shots on my HD100U serial XXX32393. Then on the BR-HD50 Deck (with power off) switched the IEEE1394 to HDV and REMOTE but FCP 5.1.1 does NOT see the deck except as a "Capture Now" option and the video playback throughput does NOT work.

What can I do to fix this?

Like others, compliments to the JVC team for the excellent online Tutorial on how to load the firmware for those that need it. Also great job on working with Apple for the 5.1.2 changes.

Thanks for lending an ear,

Sam
Hi Sam,

To check you firmware version on the BR-HD50, please follow step #9 on the instructions that are posted on our website:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...6_upgrade.html

Mave sure that you have a composite video monitor connected to the composite out of the deck so that you can read the prompts.

Regarding your deck control problem in HDV: First, make sure you try the "Easy Set-up" for HDV 720p30 in FCP. If you have, and it still does not work, try a different 6 pin cable. If that does not help, then if you can, try the deck on a different Mac.

There are two firewire circuits in the deck: One for DV and one for HDV. There have been some instances of the HDV circuit being blown by customers who use PC's that have voltage on the firewire, including Macs. This can be caused a number of ways, such as failure to power down the deck and Mac before plugging or unplugging the 6 pin cable, or flipping the DV/HDV switch with the Mac and deck turned on, or attempting to plug in the firewire cable backwards, even just a little bit. Most times, when I have encountered a customer who's deck or camera works with a NLE on DV but not on HDV, it was the blown HDV firewire circuit. If this is the case, our service department can take care of that for you. Call tech support at 1-800-582-5825, M-F, 9 AM to 5 PM EST. Also, go to this web page to download a "Factory Service Request" form: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/fscform.pdf

Regards, Carl

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems