Problem w/ Exporting to DVD in Premiere Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem w/ Exporting to DVD in Premiere Pro

Hey guys, I made a movie that has different things frozen in mid-air, and many times I used garbage mattes to do this.

Well, I just burned the DVD using 'Export to DVD' in Premiere Pro (Version 7, the one right after Premiere 6.5....), and I was watching it on my TV.... the edges of the garbage mattes are visible! It's a solid black line around the edges of the matte... Grrrrr....

Is there anyway to remove those black edges on garbage mattes when exporting to a DVD in Premiere?

Oh, and Is there a way to make 4:3 looks 16:9 without it stretching? (So instead of it stretching, I want the black bars on top and bottom)...

Also, what are the best settings when exporting a DVD?

Thanks,

Colin
Colin Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Major Player

In all my Premiere Pro experience, I've never seen or heard of any problem like the one you're describing with your garbage mattes showing up. Exporting to DVD from Premiere Pro has always been pretty simple, and if it shows up on the preview window, it will show up on your DVD. I have found though, that with larger projects, its usually better to export a movie file and then export to DVD from that instead of a project full of layers. I'd say to try that and see if that fixes the problem. You could do it quickly by rendering only a small test portion to see if that fixes the problem. If not... well, I'm not too sure.

Its also super easy to create a fake letterbox in Premiere. Just open up the titler and draw two black rectangles that stretch across the frame. One at the top, and one at the bottom. Place that in your top layer, and kablammo! Instant letterbox.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey thanks a lot for your reply... I will definitely try exporting as a file and then to a DVD. Thanks for the tip.

Blaghhh... I hate when you can't think of the correct terminology (letterbox instead of black bar thingamabobbers..) :)

Okay, thanks again!! You were a big help!

~Colin
Colin Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Here is a .png Mask I made that you can just drop into your timeline.

More masks at www.kraentertainment.com
Attached Thumbnails
Problem w/ Exporting to DVD in Premiere Pro-480-1_78-f.png  
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,
Another way to create a letterbox, is to choose "Clip" (type in clip to find quickly) from the effects tab, and in the effects control type in the value for the top and bottom.
Ivan Barbarich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite