PDW EX1 brochure discussion - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood View Post
A thought on zoom controller:

Notice on page 11 there is a remote control. I can't see all the buttons clearly but there is a ZOOM button set with W & T so perhaps there will be a wireless version of a LANC connection.
[...]
On page 6 you can see a photo from the side of the camera, at the very bottom you can see a "Zoom Servo/Manual" screen printed text. Behind it is a 'bulge'. This could well be a selection switch for proper manual zoom control.
Guy, your first point only confirms what I noticed a couple of posts above; the IR commander even has the Push AF button, but it's a joke to have your hand occupied with the IR thing, instead of the proper controller such as the Manfrotto 523Pro integrated handle...

As to the seconf point - yes, there IS the hardware switch for the zoom ring detachment from the servo motor; thanks!
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
Can anyone explain the reference to "MP4" data files on page 5 of the brochure? Is this going to be MPEG2 data in an MP4 wrapper, and if so what does that mean for capturing and editing purposes?

Agreed that lack of a LANC input would be a terrible oversight for this camera, unless that's a typo or there's some other new alternative present. I shoot most of my footage on tripods or monopods using LANC controllers and can't see giving that up - are we supposed to hand-hold all of our footage now?!?
MP4 proxies are a standard part of how XDCAM works.
Drag proxies onto T/L, edit and then conform, basically saves you having to download all the data off the disk. Probably of more use with the BD disk versions than the EX line, unless you were backing upto DB disks first.

Version 8 of Vegas will support partial download in FAM mode.

Oh, also you can make a DVD with the mp4 proxies and a viewer for the client to preview, very nice feature of XDCAM.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #33
Inner Circle

This is a review by Alistair Chapman on the Sony Site, I think in another post he said he would post link too. Seems like there is an interface for zoom controller.
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1187079500753

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
This is a review by Alistair Chapman on the Sony Site, I think in another post he said he would post link too. Seems like there is an interface for zoom controller.
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1187079500753

Ron Evans
Ron, I went through the article but couldn't find any indication of any sort of controller interface existing! Where exactly is it said?
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Next to the article is a rotating camera viewpoint.

If you look at the camera, there is writing called "lens remote" on the front of the servo handle.

Underneath is a port of some kind, might be an 8 pin that is recessed instead of sticking out.

So there is something to control the lens externally.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #36
Inner Circle

This is the link to the 360 view
http://assets.sonybiz.net/Flash/XDCA..._ex/index.html

Alistair does mention the remote in the text. I will read again and point out. But on this 360 view it is easy to see the lettering "Lens Remote"

Ron Evans
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The comment is on page two of the review in a paragraph next to the picture of the train.

Ron Evans
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Great, now there are no excuses, I have to buy one or two! :)
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
Being that the user will be "hugging" the camera as they would if they were shooting with an ENG. In these cases, LANCs aren't used (for the majority)...
When I shoot on a tripod I like to be able to stand back and maneuver/control everything from the tripod handle, using the LCD to frame the shot as I would with a larger remote monitor. If I had to physically hug the camera to shoot that would be really awkward and somewhat defeat the point of using a tripod in the first place - which for me includes being more comfortable. In any case, it sounds like there is definitely a zoom controller and hopefully other remote camera controls as well.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Yep, I found it. I'd prefer the lanc, though (if only for my upgrade path being cheaper, as I already have two:)).
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #41
Major Player

phewwwww,

"If you plan on using the camera on a tripod, or maybe even a jib there is a socket on the camera for a lens remote that will control the zoom"

Yes, we are saved, no reason to not buy. Not that there arn't a few things that are missing though (HDMI monitoring for example). No show stoppers though.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #42
Inner Circle

One thing to consider is price... as the target is itself between high end HDV and ENG DSR users, an 8-pin lens remote might be to steep a factor for the "average" market demographic when it comes to price... LANCs aren't a problem, pro lens remotes are (in price that is).

In turn, we would more than likely see a LANC jack as opposed to an actual 8-pin lens remote... mainly being price of said remote.

In addition, a lens remote of this calibre would more often than not be used as another bullet in the market chamber.

As for the IR remote, most IR remotes have a remote zoom function for most cameras on the market. Its set to a single digital speed with no analogous rocking sensors.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #43
Obstreperous Rex

Posted a screen grab of the lens remote jack (thanks to Tim Polster for pointing it out), in a new thread at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102972

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #44
Major Player

The lens remote port looks different than the standard 8-pin Fujinon connector (Hirose connector with one pin in the center). This one seems to have 8 pins with none in the center. So unfortunately, existing Fujinon rear lens controllers may not work unless you add an adapter. I wonder why they did that, unless the port has more functionality? (speculation only)
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Now that we know (almost) everything, I want the PMW-EX2 without HD-SDI, with lanc remote and for Euro 5,000:). Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds