Z7U or EX1...tough decision. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #76
Regular Crew

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/hamapro/

We need a translator:

If you scroll down there is a comparison between the v1j and the z7j. Pretty good improvement wouldn't you say.

(I found this link on another thread of this forum)
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
I would be curious to put either camera (z7u or ex1) up next to your 1/2" dv camera and see the results. I'm sure either hd camera would blow the dv camera away.
I would be interested to see this as well, but I know the EX-1 would look better due to the much higher data rate and equal chip size.

I don't know about 1/3" cameras looking "better".

Sure they have resolution, and the color space can look good, but I can still often notice 1/3" lattitude wrapped up in a high resolution package.

Although I have to admit, most of my curmudgeonesque views are based on my experiences with DV cams and looking at a lot of posted footage around the internet.

I am sure these cameras have a wow factor when one uses them .

It is just tough to go from my "big" cameras to little ones again and see it as progress.

My hope is that Sony continues with the EX line and makes a fixed lens 20x zoom shoulder mount version for around $10,000 and an interchangeable lens version like the Z7.

I really like the concept of the Z7 camera, I just am looking to the future and not wanting a camera I will grow out of once some economies of scale kick in.

Thanks for your counter point!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/hamapro/

We need a translator:

If you scroll down there is a comparison between the v1j and the z7j. Pretty good improvement wouldn't you say.

(I found this link on another thread of this forum)
I ran it through Google Translate (http://www.google.com/translate_t), but it really didn't help that much. I would love to see a list of all of the lenses that will work with the cameras. I doubt I will buy any extras for my line of work.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
It says available in Feb '08, but I thought we would have seen a review unit out before it was released. Does that scare anyone else?
If the pdf file you uploaded holds true on the price, depending on how the reviews of the model come in I may actually pick one up now.

Last edited by Monday Isa; February 13th, 2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: rephrase my sentence
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #80
Major Player

Do resellers honor the manufacturer's "suggested reseller price?"
How is that pricing structure set?

The "reseller's price" listed in that PDF is about $1000 less than the prices I've seen for pre-orders.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
If the pdf file you uploaded holds true on the price, based on reviews of the model I may actually pick one up now.
Can you please link to the reviews you are referring to? My rep told me they expect them to be in stock within two weeks and will email me my price as soon as the item is entered into the system. I'll let you know what I find out, but I don't think it will be as high as BH.

-Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #82
Major Player

Hey Chad,
When I mentioned based on reviews I meant forth coming reviews. I know of 3 people getting Z7's the end of the week and am awaiting what they say about it. When I do see those reviews I will provide you a link.

Brian I don't know how the reseller pricing works. But it may come down to that price after a couple of months. If it does my FX7 is going to be up for sale with the best offer takes it. I'm sick of it's lowlight performance.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #83
Trustee

Monday,
Selling an FX7 on the cheap? I don't really like it's low light either, but I'm too poor to get one of those fancy schmancy new ones. Just how cheap are we talking here? You can email me off list if you'd like.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Brian I don't know how the reseller pricing works. But it may come down to that price after a couple of months.
Well, if that's true, then waiting a couple of months sounds like a good idea to me. Not only will that give some time for some reviews of the Z7 to come out and (hopefully!) the price to drop, but also to see what this Red "Scarlet" cam is all about. If Red delivers something in a comparable price range to the Z7, that may be an even more attractive option.

I know, I know, "If you're waiting you ain't creating." But for those of us for whom $5-$6K is a sizeable investment, it pays to make sure that investment will meet our needs for a long time to come. I've waited this long to upgrade from my PD-150, which has served me faithfully for 7 years now. I can wait a couple more months if I need to.
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Can you please link to the reviews you are referring to? My rep told me they expect them to be in stock within two weeks and will email me my price as soon as the item is entered into the system. I'll let you know what I find out, but I don't think it will be as high as BH.

-Chad
Chad go here

A Cinematographer name Darryl Smith posted the video on youtube and made a hd divx version available for all to view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE2UXvwtFts

also you can download the HD divx version here
http://www.stage6.com/user/24PCinema...CAM-TEST-SHOOT

The Divx version looks pretty good
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #86
Trustee

The YouTube video has the wrong aspect ratio.
Ummm... yeah.

-Ethan Cooper
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #87
Major Player

That's youtube for you. click the box inside of the box button it will scale it down
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #88
Trustee

good to know

-Ethan Cooper
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Don't bother with YouTube. View the www.stage6.com linked one. I just have. Very nice!!! I want one!
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #90
New Boot

It's clear now that EX1 features true 1920x1080 HD sensors, whilst Z7 employs some sort of anamorphic cheating.

However there are two questions yet.

We know that Z7 utilizes ClearVid CMOS with rotated pixels. But I am not sure, whether EX1 employs the same ClearVid technology, or not.

Also, my concern is the camera noise levels. It seems like EX1 has been designed with cheaper DXP, which returns signal with very pure S/N level - 54 dB (typical).
The Z7 S/N ratio specs hasn't been announced yet.

Any comments?
Oki Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270