LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes View Post
Has anybody purchased and is using an actual Hoodman sun shield for the EX1?
Yes and in sunlight its useless. For "real" sun you need 100% light exclution.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Guys, I really prefer the solution that the "El Cheapo" shoulder mount provides - I am fully capable of using either EVF or LCD, and the camera's weight is fully supported on my abdomen. I am posting two grabs showing myself in my bathroom mirror - sorry for the quality, but from how easy and relaxed I seem while shooting, you can hopefully understand my opinion that his is the way to go as far as hand-held (i.e. not tripod) EX1 usage is concerned.

Therefore, again please help me find a way to replace the viewfinder with the Xtrafne unit - I guess this is a much better idea than all those DIY solutions(with all due respect to their inventors).
Attached Thumbnails
LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-image106.jpg   LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-image107.jpg  

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Major Player

Again, I doubt Sony has any interest in switching out viewfinders. Probably the only real option it to buy a Z7 and get someone to replace the viewfinders. These are not ENG cams with removable viewfinders so Sony is not going to bend over backwards to switch out part A on this cam with part B on another cam. They'd rather just sell you an EX3.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Absolutely, Benjamin - this is why I am not counting on Sony to help do the swap in any official way. Which doesn't mean it couldn't be done - it's just a question of costs involved, and technical viability.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #20
Major Player

But how would you get the Z7 VF?
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
But how would you get the Z7 VF?
All I need is the part number, and some engineering drawings before I spend some bucks!
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #22
Trustee

Sony already sell a vewfinder that might be suitable, the HDVFC30W.
It's built for the F900 but reading the specs I think interfacing it to the EX1 wouldn't be too hard.
One word of caution. If you really are in a position where the sun could shine into your viewfinder then there's a risk of having the screen fried from the sun being focussed onto it.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Guys, I really prefer the solution that the "El Cheapo" shoulder mount provides - I am fully capable of using either EVF or LCD, and the camera's weight is fully supported on my abdomen. I am posting two grabs showing myself in my bathroom mirror - sorry for the quality, but from how easy and relaxed I seem while shooting, you can hopefully understand my opinion that his is the way to go as far as hand-held (i.e. not tripod) EX1 usage is concerned.

Therefore, again please help me find a way to replace the viewfinder with the Xtrafne unit - I guess this is a much better idea than all those DIY solutions(with all due respect to their inventors).
Words fail me! We know about shoulder mounts. We know their benefits and disadvantages. The existing EVF on the EX1 is a waste of space. We would like the EVF to be excellent. Would we pay the high cost of having it replaced? No? Is there an effective alternative? Buy an EX3? Something cheaper than that? I wonder what it could be?
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Piotr:
Make one of my hoods or one like Serena made and use the LCD. Believe me, especially if you use my "two eyed" binocular version, you will never want to look at an EVF again, even if you got the EX3 or equivalent.

For a few hours crafting you will have an LCD sized EVF like the EX3 and save yourself handsomely, if you try to put an expensive one eyed 2cm crap EVF on this camera (they are all crap anyway) you will waste money and be disappointed.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #25
Trustee

Seeing as how no one liked my $50 sombrero suggestion or my $9,900 Sony viewfinder how about this.

Seems to me the problem arises from using shoulder supports rather than a shoulder mount. With a shoulder mount which turns the EX1 into something the same as a real shoulder mount camera, the butt end of the camera is over the shoulder. This brings the LCD closer to the eye so a hood or whatever is going to be more effective. It'd also get around a problem mentioned elsewhere of shots being "up the nose".
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #26
Major Player

Agree with you Bob. Of course your head might impede cooling (that slot between the electronics and the lens) but the problem (in my attempts) is that a well designed eyepiece is needed (as on the EX3). Stacking cheap lenses can get you close enough to the LCD, but the distortion is undesirable. One just about comes to buying the EX3 hood.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Someone should tell Sony to build an EX-3 like LCD hood/eyecup that could be fitted to the EX-1. It will be cheap for them to adapt the EX-3 eyecup part for that, and it surely will be a more popular accessory than the pretty much useless and unavailable USB card reader...

By the way, an EVF cap, to get away with the proeminent eyecup of the EVF would also be great.

And for the "El Cheapo" enthusiasts, stay tuned for my lightweigth and fully functional crane that I'm now designing... As soon as I can build something with head pan/tilt that works like a $3000 crane is supposed to work, I'll post my findings here.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #28
Major Player

Mike, I think we have the same eyepiece power, namely 7 diopter, which works well. I tried adding more to shorten the hood and I saw quite a lot of pin-cushion distortion. A bit of optics design work needed to overcome that.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorente View Post
the pretty much useless and unavailable USB card reader...
Guess there's a thread I haven't been following, but I have one that works as specified. They appear to be available here.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
Guess there's a thread I haven't been following, but I have one that works as specified. They appear to be available here.
Well, here in Spain, I had requested for the USB reader at the store where I bought the EX1, as well as the large BP-U60 battery. This was just before the Holy Week (which this year has fallen in the third week of March). I received the battery last week, but I'm still waiting for the reader.

The same happened with the EX1, we requested it in December and did not received it until March.

Don't know if things are equal in the rest of the world, but I assure you that in my country, one has to learn not to be stressed by delays or die in the attempt of being on the "cutting edge". Anyway, being in the cutting edge always hurts :P

Edit: Oh, and another thing against the USB reader is its prize, knowing that a PCI-e reader is cheaper (and faster) than Sony's reader.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds