EX1 File Transfer To Macbook Pro Via Firewire - Possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 File Transfer To Macbook Pro Via Firewire - Possible?

I would like to transfer files off the camera (via Firewire?) to the Macbook Pro and have this feed through (via Express 34 port) to the SATA drives.

I hoping I don't have to copy the footage first to the internal drive and then to the SATA drives.

Is this possible via Firewire or some "other" way?
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Major Player

I insert my SxS card in my MBP Express card slot and copy the BPAV folder directly to a LACIE FW800 drive.... Very fast and effcient!
You can not transfer via FW only capture is available via FW and that is HDV quality only. I am not understanding exactly what you are trying to ask? Can you elaborate?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jason. Thanks :)

Transfer the files (ie.shot footage) off the camera to the Macbook Pro's external SATA drives in one pass.

What I really need is a Macbook Pro with 2 Express 34 slots.

I want my footage on a 5TB hot-swappable SATA system.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Sure, it is the same thing I am doing with an External FW 800 drive instead of SATA. One pass per card of course... But straight from cards to External drive. If you want to keep the cards in the camera you can do that as well but will have to transfer over USB 2.0 and it is much slower than Express slot.

Yes two Express slots would be awsome!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Right-o Jason.
USB 2.0 Hmmmmm.
How much slower?
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Search the Forum for USB and Express card speeds as others have done direct comparisons....I know I can offload a full 16GB SxS card by way of Express card slot to External FW800 drive in less than 3-7 minutes depending on how many clips I shot.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds