Travelling to Taiwan with Z1P... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old August 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Travelling to Taiwan with Z1P...

I started reply to this thread, but just realised it probably wasn't an appropriate place to ask questions in regards to the Z1P.

Repeating what I said in the other thread: I'm heading over to Taiwan (from Australia) next month, and need to take my Sony Z1P away with me. I was thinking about purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and taking the camera on-board with me. Has anyone had any experience with this particular product? According to my calculations Singapore Airlines should except it as on-board luggage. It seems pretty strong, and can hold all the gizmos that are required with the camera.

I don't think the Petrol bag looks too much like a camera bag, which is a bonus. Although it does look as if it would contain some expensive stuff which is a little scary. Petrol also make a backpack suitable for a Z1P, so that's also an option. Although there is less room in there to store microphones, tapes, batteries, etc. I guess the benefit is that its on your back, therefore always close to you...

Currently my camera is in a Storm M2700 case (and I've also got a Pelican 1510 tools case), but I don't really want to check in my camera, and I think a soft bag looks a little more discrete than a hard Pelican case.

Are there any items you can't bring on board in 2006? Microphones, batteries, tapes, cables, rechargers, etc.?

I've never been to Taiwan either - anything I should know?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hey Chris. Actually I think the Z1 forum is the best place for this, so I've moved you there. Have you seen the following thread yet? Lots of discussion on different bags/cases: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573

My only worry with a soft bag is... what if (for whatever reason) you get to the airport and they won't let you carry it on? You will be faced with the choice of either not going to else checking the camera. I got the bag described in that thread because it has a rigid plastic inner shell, just in case this were to ever happen. It could survive with the luggage, although I wouldn't be happy about the camera getting bounced around there.

Regardless of what you get, think about how you would deal with a scenario like this...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Hey Chris. Actually I think the Z1 forum is the best place for this, so I've moved you there. Have you seen the following thread yet? Lots of discussion on different bags/cases: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573

My only worry with a soft bag is... what if (for whatever reason) you get to the airport and they won't let you carry it on? You will be faced with the choice of either not going to else checking the camera. I got the bag described in that thread because it has a rigid plastic inner shell, just in case this were to ever happen. It could survive with the luggage, although I wouldn't be happy about the camera getting bounced around there.

Regardless of what you get, think about how you would deal with a scenario like this...
Thats great advice-- I never thought about that!
Maybe he'd be able to check it 'plane-side' in this scenario?

Like I said before- I put my lens in its own padded/semi-stiff case inside my backpack, so at least I had SOME protection...
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Boyd!

Here is another related thread, for anyone who's interested.

I'd still really love some input on the Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and the Petrol backpack, if anyone has or has used one...
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking

I've never been to Taiwan either - anything I should know?
I have only landed 4 times at Taipei (picking up and dropping passengers on the way to/from HonkKong)
I never actually went through Immigration...only visited the Departures lounge.
Before we left the plane for the 1 hour stop we were informed
1. Taiwan has the death penalty for drug users... or maybe it was dealers...or both.
Hopefully that will not apply to you... but the other announcement was more general.
2. If you are running a fever when you are going through passport control you can be refused entry to Taiwan...because of restrictions to keep out "bird-flu"
I don't know if this still applies, but I think you should check it out.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Thanks Boyd!

Here is another related thread, for anyone who's interested.

I'd still really love some input on the Petrol PWB-HDV Bag and the Petrol backpack, if anyone has or has used one...
I did a review of the Petrol bag a while back. I thought it was here on DVInfo.net as well, but I can't find it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the link Douglas! Great article!

The Petrol PCPR-1 (the one you reviewed), does look quite good. But what about the PWB-HDV? I'm still undecided which will be the better option.

Anyone have the PWB-HDV?
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #8
Major Player

I ended up purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag.

It's one fantastic bag!

I took off the HDV and SONY logos to make it look a little less expensive looking.

It's small enough to bring on a plan as hand luggage (Singapore Airlines).

Big enough to hold everything you need (microphones, batteries, tapes, wireless gear, digital still camera, cables, chargers, etc., etc.).

The handle is very comfortable as is the strap.

No complaints!
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking View Post
I ended up purchasing a Petrol PWB-HDV Bag.

It's one fantastic bag!

I took off the HDV and SONY logos to make it look a little less expensive looking.

It's small enough to bring on a plan as hand luggage (Singapore Airlines).

Big enough to hold everything you need (microphones, batteries, tapes, wireless gear, digital still camera, cables, chargers, etc., etc.).

The handle is very comfortable as is the strap.

No complaints!
how was the trip!?
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Really good thanks Jeff!

It was all work - and very little play - but the show I went over for went exceptionally well, and I also managed to get a lot of really great footage.

Had no problems with the camera, or the bag.

Thanks for asking!

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home