Bag vs. Case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 15th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bag vs. Case

A bag or a case:
What's your prefference and why?
Which brand/model do you use?

Comments & suggestions appreciated.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Major Player

I told my wife i wanted a BAG for my Z1U, she said "Ewwww, that looks cheesey!"

so i got a Pelican hard case like my other cameras.

lol

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #3

Case...Pelican is great....I fly a lot though. But even still....bags are rarely "my bag" :-)
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Trustee

I bought a case, but now that I have a trip to Greece scheduled, I know I need to figure out a way to strap the FX1 to my front while my tripod is strapped to my back.

I am used to a palmcorder, so this is going to be a LOT different. So far I have only taken it to places where I pulled it out of the car and shot and went back to the car. No all day walks through ruins.

The case has a strap, but still. It is just too big. I am thinking about this one for carrying around all day. But still keeping the larger case for ease of use when I have a car.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=319672&is=REG
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Pelican case that fits everything in but am also thinking of getting a Kata case too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I was thinking about one of the porta brace traveller cases that have an inner skeleton, but those look like they are for the slightly larger cameras...maybe I'll look at the pelican...what size did you folks get?

DSE...is Sundance Media Group part of the institute and that whole org? One of my very best friends is the volunteer manager at the institute...she's wiped out and looking for some time to recover.
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I use a black bag that looks like regular luggage. I don't like people knowing I have an expensive camera.
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Just got a Kata CC103 for our FX1. Bag is solid and FX fits nicely in it, plenty of room for batteries and tapes. Only problem is the FX1 is a little wide and the 2 dividers provided are not long enough to properly reach across the main compartment. So you can't really use the dividers effectively, but not a big problem.
Kaspar Stromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #9

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : I use a black bag that looks like regular luggage. I don't like people knowing I have an expensive camera. -->>>

You must not fly... cuz' there ain't no way in hell you can fly without the TSA handling your camera even if it's just a carry on. In fact, as a note to yourself/selves, if you fly with the HVR-Z1 in a bag, be sure to put some sort of foam or rubber support inside the second mic mount. Mine is already damaged because the moronic TSA folks at Orange County/John Wayne/Santa Ana (how can an airport have 3 names?) didn't load my cam back into the foam cutout correctly, and the lid on the Pelican forced the arm down and broke the hinge pin.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #10
Tourist

I was down in New Orleans last week for Mardi Gras with my FX1. I used a Kata bag that was originally purchased for my XL1s. Plenty of room for the camera and all it's accessories and I placed it in the overhead compartment no problem.
Chris Sakellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #11
Trustee

I just traveled from Boston to LA with my Z1...used a PortaBrace. It was fine in the carry-on area, but I think a hardcase would be better if you are planning to check it.

Also, the camera was checked by security with no problems. It was funny because I took it out of the PortaBrace on the plane to play with it and people gave me the weirdest look......you know that, "what IS that?!" look. It does look like a canon!
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #12

<<<<"what IS that?!" look. It does look like a canon!>>>>

I hope you mean it does look like a "cannon" and not a "Canon" :-)
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Are you pelican case guys using the 1610?
If not, which one did you choose?

thanks
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #14
Trustee

Kaspar,

Do you think the Kata CC103 would be a good choice to carry an FX1 strapped to my body? I don't want to have to carry it all over in my hand. Even if we need to design straps for it to go over my shoulder?

It looks soft enough to not cause a problem with sharp corners digging into me, but padded enough to protect the camcorder. Is that the case?

If I have to, I will go to a seamstress and have a specially padded bag made. I would rather just buy a bag if I can.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Steven,
It has a nice shoulder strap that I imagine might be ok for a few hours, but for all-day use or rougher terrain you might want to consider a camera backpack (Kata sells a few of those as well)

The Kata is fairly soft, but the sides have hard plastic or something in them.
Kaspar Stromme is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1