Bag vs. Case - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM   #91
Contributor

If you can go to a store that sells luggage, you can find their carry-on cases and then determine what works for you.

However, at least in the U.S., different airlines often have different size requirements. Even on the same airline in a different city there may be different sizes. For example, on one airline where I live, my bag would not fit into their hole at the screening device (I took the camera out and squeezed it through), but at the same airline in another city, my bag went through with room to spare.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #92
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
If you can go to a store that sells luggage, you can find their carry-on cases and then determine what works for you.

However, at least in the U.S., different airlines often have different size requirements. Even on the same airline in a different city there may be different sizes. For example, on one airline where I live, my bag would not fit into their hole at the screening device (I took the camera out and squeezed it through), but at the same airline in another city, my bag went through with room to spare.

OK, I did find a hard plastic luggage case. Size is 52cm x 34cm x 26cm. Has 4-wheels on one end and a telescopic handle on the other, so you can carry it on the large side or the thin side, which is great to roll between plane seats.

Colour is light blue-gray, and it doesn't look like a camera, which is what I wanted. I glued 1" thick foam panels inside that I cut in layers, following the camera shape. To make things better I unscrew the sunshade and put in on a separate hole on the foam. There are holes for the batteries, the supply and the cables.

As a final touch I used a thin black fabric to cover it all.

The camera doesn't move and it's well cushioned. I am quite satisfied. Total cost was about $70.

I will get another smaller bag to carry the matte-box, the 4 x 4 filters and the wide-angle.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #93
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
The 1610 would do for one cam, no doubt.
I haven't taken pix of the Pelican setup, I do have pix of my Petrol softbag setup at http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...1-0b0afaaeecf0 , but that won't likely help much. When we return from this shoot, I'll try to remember to take a few pix and post em'.
Hey Spot, sorry to dredge up this thread, but after talking to B&H without an answer, I was still wondering if you could shoot me a pic of your pelican with both z1's in it.

I'm about to buy two v1u's and was actually going to go higher than a pelican 1630 because I'm paranoid about wanting a decent amount of padding between them with both in a single case. Thanks for the time.
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #94
Major Player

We do weddings, and bring tons of 'stuff', because I loathe the idea of needing anything. For this reason I'm actually leaning toward Keith's Walmart special - both for the storage and the ability to stand over it for processional shots.

Quote:
My case? I nice big Stanley rolling toolbox, $35 at Wallymart, and plenty of room for EVERYTHING! http://www.zag.co.il/products_inner3..._id=8&this=491
If we start flying around, I'd pry get an Impact. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...lue=382085_REG

Another question though...Is their any way to protect a cam in a car both from heat and humidity? In AZ, I'm often waiting in between shots, and the car is scorching. I could use a big cooler, but then humidity is an issue. Thoughts?
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #95
Major Player

BTW, where can you buy Pick & Pluck foam blocks in a custom size?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM   #96
Trustee

Well I just got back from two weeks traveling in Brazil. I packed my Canon XL-2 with 20x and 3x, all accessories, three battaries, mic, 10 tapes, two head cleaners, small digital still camera, two chargers, all wires and other "stuff" into a Tamrac 651 rolling Strongbox. It has a large outside pocket for small stuff such as wires and cleaning equipment. It worked great. I was on 9 flights, big planes and little planes and it went as carry on with absolutely no questions asked. I also took it on buses, vans and trucks. Everything made the trip with no problems. And let me tell you this, having rollers is a real pleasure for this old back. And the best part is that it looks just like any other piece of carry on luggage. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM   #97
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Spot, sorry to dredge up this thread, but after talking to B&H without an answer, I was still wondering if you could shoot me a pic of your pelican with both z1's in it.

I'm about to buy two v1u's and was actually going to go higher than a pelican 1630 because I'm paranoid about wanting a decent amount of padding between them with both in a single case. Thanks for the time.
I've kept a V1U and an FX7 in a bag that Sony sells in Canada called MOBECASE. It's really practical and can hold all my accessories and two cameras. http://www.vistek.ca/details/details...WebCode=208472
The picture is not completely accurate, and the pricing from Vistek is rather high considering the MSRP from Sony Canada's website is CAD$175.00 http://www.sonybiz.ca/solutions/Prod...ntryId=1001608

But yeah, there's some nice padding and it fits two cameras perfectly.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #98
Major Player

I had a big D-SLR photography backpack and stuck my FX7 in there

I got no sh** from TSA or security, it was my carry-on

I had an FX7, 2 batteries, 16 tapes, a Panasonic DMC-FZ7, component cables, AV Cable, External charger, Power supply, Kata Cover, Portable DVD Player, Case w/ DVDs, Ipod, Cellphone, Wallet...

I figured they would have atleast looked inside the bag... haha... that's a lot of electronics/metal stuff

* I laid the FX7 on it's side, and the bag went under the seat. :)

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: inappropriate wording/language
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #99
Regular Crew

anyone ever use the Petrol PCCB-2-N with the Z1? it looks like it might be a nice fit, but just wondering if anyone had tried it. i've had petrol products in the past, and i really like them:

http://petrolbags.com/products/Camer...B-2/PCCB-2.htm
Jon Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #100
New Boot

Another option, HPRC hard cases

I wanted to throw an additional option into the mix. There's a new injection molded hard case from Italy sold under the HPRC brand. It's 10-20% lighter than Pelican depending on size and has all the standard durability/watertight ratings (NATO STANAG 4280, DS 81-41, IP 67).

The wheeled cases have a unique low profile backing for housing the extended handle that make them less bulky. The handle itself is made of a stiff high-strength aluminum instead of plastic.

The site is www.hprc-usa.com

The Pelican 1610 size equivalent that everyone has been talking about using for the Z1U is the HPRC 2700W (http://hprc-usa.com/2700w.htm)

There's also a larger "trunk" case size HPRC 2800W (http://hprc-usa.com/2800.htm)

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in...
Attached Images

Garrett Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #101
Trustee

Spotted a couple of Pelican lookalike in China.. pretty light weight but a closer look shows the quality is a big diff.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #102
Regular Crew

Update on bag vs case

I ditched the Z1 a while back for an XLH1 and went through the same dilema. I loved the Storm that I bought for the Z1 so I got the next size up for the XLH1 and it's fantastic. I've got room for the cam, 2 lenses, Anton Bauer Trimpaks (2), AB charger, Canon PS and batt, tapes, remote, manual, tools, cables, etc...It's great for shipping the camera or when I rent it to another shooter. I also bought a PortaBrace CTC-4. It holds all the above less the 2nd lens, with room for a couple of 25' XLR cables, an AT lav mic and my HV-10 cam.

They both work great. I've had to check the PortaBrace once planeside and it worked fine - but not something I want to do very often. I was sweating it the whole flight. It fits in most overhead bins, but not on the midget jets and turbo props.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #103
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Lee View Post
I loved the Storm that I bought for the Z1
What bag is that?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #104
Regular Crew

This one

I got the Storm 2270 shown here is a pic, too

Quote:
I got a Storm 2720. It works pretty well.
I think this is about as small as I would go.
Hopefully there is room for a lightpanel led light or two in the empty space.

Case Pic
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #105
Trustee

Quote:
I got the Storm 2270 shown here is a pic, too
Sorry, but I still can't get anything when I Google that. Who makes the Storm?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1