Sony VCL-HG0737Y with HDR-HC3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VCL-HG0737Y with HDR-HC3

Hey guys!

I have an HC3 and am looking at getting a wide angle lens for it. I really like the look and design of the VCL-HG0737Y and would like to get that along with a Cavision LH77 Lens Hood.

Would I be running a risk of vignetting if I got a step up ring and the 737Y?

Thanks for your advice!
Tony Reale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It should work fine, as should any of the HG 37mm threaded lenses - you might consider that the 0737Y while a fine piece of glass, is pretty hefty and hard to find - I've picked up a couple for when I have my cams on tripod, but prefer the 0737X or C a;thought they aren't quite as nice optically, they are noticeably lighter!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

VCL-HG0737Y and a Cavision LH77 Lens Hood

I have the VCL-HG0737Y and a Cavision LH77 Lens Hood for use on my HC1E. Quality optically is really excellent but as the man says it's heavy! The newer versions are supposedly lighter but I think have less elements. Weight is no issue for me as I'm normally shooting on a tripod 99% of the time but when hand holding I find the extra weight of this WA (and a Rode VM or especially the heavier Rode SVM) actually gives the camera I have more stability. This WA lense will definitely make a HC3 nose heavy for hand holding. Note that it does NOT have an thread for filters on the outside edge.

One thing about the LH77 Hood is that it's 4x3 aspect ratio (not 16x9) but I've never seen any vignetting on my HC1. Also, this hood is quite a loose fit on the end of that Sony WA but has a thumb screw to tighten...I did not like this idea as the screw comes "all the way in" and will scratch the black paintwork off the rim of the wide angle. Easy solution though as I cut a small strip of sticky-backed velcro and glued it in the inside rim (over where the screw is.) Now it's just a push fit with additional tightening by a turn or two of the thumbscrew if required and no damage done.
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip about the LH77 Andy. Do you find yours deforming because of the rubber, or is it not that noticeable?

I'm not too concerned about the weight. I have a Rode Videomic and usually I'm using a tripod. I'm looking at getting a Spider Brace if I do pick up the VCL-HG0737Y.

Does anyone know where they are available? They looked to be sold out at most locations or on back order. The only sites that said they had one in stock were the scam sites that wanted to "upsell" me to a fancy relabled generic lens for a lot more money.

I would really like the VCL-HG0737Y because of the larger lens. The more light I can get into my HC3 the better.

...plus it looks so cool :)

Thanks for the quick responses, BTW.
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Rubber does deform a little but it's no big deal and, if packed correctly in my bag, does not... so no issue at all. One other thing about the LH77 hood is that it provides a bit of "knock protection" and keeps anything away (fingers/children etc.) from the large glass front face of the wide angle. The glass is very close to the end of the WA, just a few mm in (and, as I've said, no way of attaching a filter.... unless you tape one on?) I'd hate to scratch it as then it's just an expensive paperweight!!!! := (

HC1 with WA and hood on usually draws comments about "that's a nice camera etc." from Joe Public so I guess it almost looks the "pro" part....and I'm sure it would have similar effect on HC3 from everyone except the DvInfo true pros!!!
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well the only place that says they have one in stock right now is Best Buy for Businesses and they want a little over $200 w/ tax and shipping. Do you guys think the lens is worth it? Newegg has it advertised for $129 but are out of stock and don't know if they will be getting more in.

Also, I read somewhere that the LH77 has a thread on it in front of the lens for filters. Is that true and is it functional?
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

They are out of production AFAIK, and have been for some time. $200+ shipping is not terribly unreasonable, especially since they are hard to find. I toy with parting with one of mine, but then I think about trying to get another one if I later changed my mind... and it goes back in the kit!
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Cavision LH77 Hood - YES it has a thread!

LH77 Hood does indeed have a thread on the front....never noticed it until I checked it after reading your post!!!! I can be stupid sometimes...as my wife claims often!

Crude measurement with a ruler suggest it might be something like 82mm as confirmed in a product link such as the one below.

I paid about 150 Quid for my wide angle last year so $200 US seems like a real bargain to us overtaxed Brits.....

http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php...&productId=305
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Well guys, I think I'm cursed...

I ordered a LH77 from B&H same time I ordered a VCL-HG0737Y from another site. They emailed me saying they were out of stock (even though the website had it as available) so I cancelled my order with them and with B&H so I could look at other lenses. After deciding I really do want the 0737Y and finding it available at Best Buy for Businesses...I went back to B&H and they were out of stock on the LH77.

ARGGG! Frustrating. Why does it have to be so difficult.

Am I getting worked up for nothing? Is the VCL-HG0737Y a better lens then the X or C versions? My HC3 has a small enough lens as it is and I would like to get as much light in there as possible. Plus having a hood that was specifically made for it made it a good choice IMO.

Would a lens like the Canon WD-H43 0.7x work on my HC3 or is it just way to big?
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

"big" is relative, and the Y is relatively quite large... as is the Canon WA from all reports.

Depending on how critical you are, the X or C models would probably work OK for you. The C shows some barrell distortion, but it's tolerable. The earlier X are noticeably more prone to lens flare, but I LIKE that effect sometimes! Offhand I don't think you'll see a HUGE aamount of difference in light transmission, but I haven't tested to say for sure - and in theory the huge front end of the Y should be better at light gathering.

I've got all three, each has it's own charms and quirks. For instance the C is short enough to fit into an HCB sport pack... the others are too big, so the C has it's place there... the Y is heavy, but excellent quality, so for certain things where I want the highest quality, that gets mounted... The X I use when I want cool lens flare effects and still quite good quality.

I'm probably confusing the issue for you, but in the end you could probably go with any of the 3 and be pretty happy.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Color me fickle but I'm starting to change my mind from the whole Sony WA lens thing.

After doing a ton of looking around online, I'm really falling in love with 35mm DOF attachments. I know a lot of people have them on the HV20s...is it something possible with my HC3?

Does anyone know if something like the SGPro is feasably compatible with the HC3?
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Pics of Sony HC1 & VCL-HG0737Y Wideangle & Cavision LH77 Hood

No worries Tony - this is a great place to bounce ideas around with fellow videographers before you spend any hard earned cash!

Before this thread goes off on that tangent though it gives me a great excuse to upload a couple of pics of my HC1 with that Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wideangle and Cavision LH77 hood. Many will recognise the Rode Videomic & Stereo Videomics (hiding under those dead cats!), mounted with a B. Hague (Nottingham UK) Sony Shoe Adapter. Tripod is Libec TH-650. Battery is the Sony mid-sized one (NP-QM71D) as I find these suit me best.

Rode VM on left and SVM on right in pics below (for those that don't know)
Attached Thumbnails
Sony VCL-HG0737Y with HDR-HC3-hc1-wa-lh77-lcd-open-aw28022008.jpg   Sony VCL-HG0737Y with HDR-HC3-hc1-wa-lh77-lcd-closed-svm-aw28022008.jpg  

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 28th, 2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Regular Crew

That's a great looking setup Andy.

After much...much...much research and deliberation, I have decided to switch over to the Canon HV30 and get a Letus 35 Mini. I've been discovering a ton of great rigs over at www.hv20.com

Thanks for the advice.
Tony Reale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series