wireless lav that comes with PD-170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

wireless lav that comes with PD-170

Does anyone have anything words on the wireless lav that comes with the PD-170. Since it comes with the camera I'm a bit skeptical of a marketing ploy, but does it have some value?

Here's the name:

UWP-C1 (66) True Diversity Portable Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

The UWP-C1 wireless system doesn't come with the PD-170. B&H has a package that includes both items. The UWP-C1 wireless system has performed flawlessly for me. I've even upgraded the lav mic to a ecm-77 (the kit includes a ecm-44) and it produced even more dynamic range. It's most definitly on par with the Senheisser Evo series wireless sytem. Me and a friend did a side by side comparison.

I have 2 UWP-C1s:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=26102
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Glen. I was referring to the B&H package. If these mics are good, the 3,500 price tage seems pretty good. I'm also nervous about remote mics though, I've used a few in the past that have been more of a nuisance than a benefit. Every time the subject would move their hand past the transmitter, I would get interferance. Did you ever have interference problems with the ecm-77?

Another question, how much did it run you to upgrade to the ecm-77?
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

No I've never had any interference problems with the system. It's very easy to set up and has been excellent for me- I can't imagine working without it now. Vow in weddings are now crystal clear...no more numerous tweaks in post trying to salvage the signal from my onboard shotgun. I've even used it at formal events- recently shot the Nurse's Day Awards Ceremony at my hospital. Rather than trying to patch into the mixing board I simply connected the lav up to the mic on the podeum. All the while using my ME66 as backup on the other channel. You can separate the channels in post and draw from whatever source you what at any time. For example during one speech the nurse flipped the page he was reading from which created a LOUD russling sound in the wireless due to it's close location. I simply did a punch-in of the shotgun audio over top and smoothed out the transition. Lessened the harshness of it greatly.
Now before I go further off on a tangent let me stop- my point is however it's good to have a backup audio source no matter what. Granted I haven't had any interference problems what so ever but have always worked with a backup as well.

Another good system is the Senheisser Evo and now the Evo G2 (which I don't have any experience with). A friend of mine owns the Evo (forget the model #- the one before the G2) and we did a comparison between the two- one which we were thinking about posting the results of. At any rate it seems the stock lav on the Evo is a bit richer than the stock lav on the Sony. However when paired with the ECM-77 it's much better than the Senheisser. Much more dynamic range. The stock 44 sounds a bit trebbly to me- but not bad. Hope this helps.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have that wireless system that I bought a year or so ago for my PD150 set up, and it is a great wireless mic. The package that B&H has is a very good deal

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion