Tote Vision Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Tote Vision Monitors

I've searched this forum as best I can and I can't find any reference to Tote Vision monitors. Has anyone ever used one of these - specifically the LCD703HD? I realize they are on the cheap end financially, which probably means they have compromises in quality, but I'm still curious.

http://www.totevision.com/
http://www.ggvideo.com/tot_lcd703hd.php
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LCD_Field.html
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/341132.html

I recently purchased an IkanV8000HD, which is also on the cheap end and has received coverage in several threads here. I am basically okay with the Ikan, considering the cost, so I'm wondering how the Tote Vision compares.

According to the lit, it is the same resolution as the Ikan, but has a metal case, underscan capability, tally lamps, dvi input (along with component, s-video, and composite), and blue mode. I have found it from a couple of reliable vendors online for considerably less even than the Ikan and it just sounds too good to be true.

Anyone seen or heard anything?

Thanks,

Vence

Last edited by Vence Vida; August 9th, 2007 at 08:48 PM.
Vence Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #2
New Boot

there's a thread over at dvxuser about this monitor. looks good. i may get the tote myself:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1033391
Phillip Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Batteries

I emailed Totevision sales dept. and asked if there was an adapter for Panasonic batteries, or just their own. Here's an exerpt from the note I got back.

"...Wanted to mention that we are soon coming out with models LCD-703HDA and LCD-703HDV which will have brackets for AntonBauer and IDX batteries. We are a few months away from having them available. Something I thought you may be interested in."

These monitor specs seems great, really good price, but I cannot imagine mounting a 5 pound AB Brick to the top of this monitor on your camera. I asked about the Sony/Panasonic batteries and received no response.

Anyone actually use this? Thoughts?
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Seems interesting, so I ordered one from fullcompass.
I am supposed to get it by 9/17/07, and will post a review.
(Will be using with an HV20 and A1)
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I became interested in portable field monitors primarily as a manual focus aid for my
Canon A1 and HV20 cameras. The options seem to be Ikan, Marshall, and now ToteVision. I ordered a ToteVision 703HD “kit” from full compass, which got it drop shipped from the vendor in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, I have never seen an Ikan or Marshall, but I did compare the monitor to a Polaroid TLA 01511C, essentially a cheap 15” HD TV from Walmart.

I thought the Totevision had one advantage over it’s nearest competitor, the Ikan, because of the DVI connector. I had thought of connecting the HV20 HDMI output to the 703HD DVI, and the A1 component to the 703HD component inputs.

The Good:
Both the 703HD and the Polaroid monitors offered better focus control than the small onboard LCD screens… when viewing a 1080i input. Focusing with a 480 input was only on a par with the onboard screens. I found my eye could resolve finer detail on the 1080i 703HD image (as well as Polaroid) so that my focus setting was a precise point on the focus control. Using the onboard screen, there was a small “range” of focus that appeared acceptable. I concluded that any increased screen resolution could not further improve focus.
The 703HD has a metal case, very versatile, with a ¼-20 on the bottom and 75mm VESA mount holes on the rear. All the connectors are circuit board mounted, seems reasonable, but cable strain relief should be part of the game plan.
The 703HD LCD is LED lit and thereby reduced power requirements.
The 703HD does not overscan.

The Average:
The color image on the 703HD and Polaroid LCD’s seemed average for a modest LCD, and were less striking than the onboard camera screens. I don’t think this is the place to expect a color reference monitor. Given the can of worms of trying to measure image quality, let’s just say that at the best position relative to viewing angle, it was effective for focus and framing. The 703HD was tactically easier to work with than the Polaroid which was much larger and more cumbersome to adjust to the best viewing position.

The Bad:
The HV20 HDMI output delivered 1080i output to the Polaroid monitor, but the 703HD only worked at 720x480 with the HV20 (tried two sets a cables, but perhaps the DVI only scans at native pixel resolution). Thus the 703HD would only improve HV20 focus potential by using the component input, which does work at 1080i.

Also the Blue gun option for color adjustment did not seem to work. The color adjustments are somewhat cumbersome, but there are separate “adjustment” memories for each signal input. The default color seemed a little “washed out”, as did the Polaroid.

The Ugly:
I got the “kit” option which included a battery and charger. Well, the battery is just a “kluge” assembly of 20 AA size rechargeables, and the “charger is just a standard 13v power wall wart. For me, the battery is unusable. It should be possible to adapt some other standard battery system for power. Note, it does come with an AC wall wart to power it without batteries.

I am trying to reach Totevision tech support to see what is going on with the DVI input and blue gun. Right now the Ikan, with a better battery option, may deserve more consideration, given the limited use of the Totevision DVI.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Totevision, Final Thoughts

I contacted Totevision and learned that the “blue gun” calibration option only worked on the composite input. Also they claim that the DVI input does do 1080, however since the HV20 HDMI output only generates 720 x 480, I assume it is an HDCP issue.

To date, I generally conclude that a 1080i signal in a 7” or larger monitor is good enough to focus a HDV camera, even if the monitor has 800x480 native pixels. (Note, I am not speaking with any 35mm experience). Also, a 480 signal on any monitor does no more to assist focus than the built camera screen.

That said, the Totevision 703HD is a useful and compact focus aid using the component (Y Pb, Pr) inputs at 1080i. Lack of overscan is also useful for framing. It is also a good value if you don’t buy the “kit” which comes with a useless battery.

If you want a good battery, I currently think the Tekkeon MP3450 is a great option (thanks Bruce Allen).

For me, HV20 HDMI input was an important issue, so thanks to Full Compass, who were great about returning the Totevision “kit”, and I am now considering the Bruce Allen project monitor.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Terry,

Thanks for the info. You've answered some questions for me.
I was just on Bruce's site today reading about his project. If you do decide to get one of his monitors, I would love to hear about it. Although, it looks like there could be a significant waiting period.

-Vence

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software