600 to 700 range for monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 11th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Major Player

600 to 700 range for monitor

I am looking for a monitor to help with color correction and making sure my final product is broadcast legal. My current computer monitor is terrible for color and my video card is a nvidia 7950 with 2 dvi and a S-video output. I want to stay in the 600 to 700 dollar range but can't decide what to get since I am so new to the whole broadcast color idea. I am shooting in hdv also and would like to use 16:9 a lot.

I have been looking at the bh open box specials trying to decide which to get but it doesn't have to be used of course.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sony PVM L1 series (.pdf) and the JVC TMH-150CGU. These are entry level production monitors that run for around US$400-$500.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Also I would like to be able to take the monitor with me every once and awhile for when I'm using lights at night just to make sure everything is alright but mainly it will be for editing. As long as it has a composite in I can do that right?
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Major Player

I just got the sony and I assuming that I can't preview using just my video card using the s video output to my new monitor to preview whats going on in my timeline. So this means I have to get a card like blackmagic intensity right?
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You can use your firewire camera to pass-through.

computer --> firewire --> DV device / camera --> Svideo to the monitor.
You might also sometimes want to look at the composite to check for chroma crawl (though most people don't care about chroma crawl).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software