Best way to host flash clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Best way to host flash clips?

I've made a pile of flash demo clips for my site.

I think I may have made an error in that I have put 5 or so samples on the same page.

Would I be right in saying that, each of these clips will pre-load and, as such...five clips take longer than one. Would I be better having a playlist and a hyperlink to each clip on it's own page?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, I tried the same thing and my page never loaded, so I did it like this...
http://www.fotgfilms.com/reel_index.html
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What did you use to create your Flash clips.

I very much liked the clean and crisp nature of the way they loaded and played.
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi,
I use the Flash 8 video encoder to make the flv files. The On2 codex set on high bitrate. Then, using dreamweaver I drag the flv file into my html page. Dreamweaver adds the "player" automatically with a few different player control skins. I used to build my own players and still do if I'm going to put the video into another swf file at runtime, but for just showing video, this works fine and is easy/fast to set up.
Hope this helps,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Major Player

I would recommend the JW FLV player. http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_video_Player

You can do play lists or individual pages and have them either progressively load or even use a PHP script to allow "fake" streaming. I use this player a lot on my website and am very happy with the results.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
New Boot

What flash video player are you using? Your own?

The only way your player would start loading the video immediately is if you have it auto-playing when the page loads (viewer does not have to push play).

If you're using something like YouTube then that will not "pre-load" just because the player is embedded in a page. They would overload their servers if every web page that ever had a youtube video on it connected and loaded every video everytime.

Hope that helps!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video