Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?

Does the Blackmagic Design intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080 x 1920) over component? The website is not clear about component capabilities.
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Watkins View Post
Does the Blackmagic Design intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080 x 1920) over component? The website is not clear about component capabilities.
Yes. They explicitly say "4:2:2" everywhere, even in places that don't specify HDMI or component. The implication is that both are the same.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3

The REAL question is what the bit depth is for the A-D conversion. No one, not even BMD seems to know.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

the resolution of the ADC is 10 bit (NXP TDA9975)
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/ne...02/1080824.php

it is used for both HDMI and analog component.

However I doubt the driver passes through that bit depth (likely just 8), it would overlap with their more expensive pro cards.
I could be wrong, I didn't bother to check as I don't have 10 bit signal sources.
Alex Maranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank You for the information. I didn't want to make assumptions about component capabilities.
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harvey View Post
I did a test using Adobe CS3 to capture analog component 1280 x 720 8bit 60p through a BM studio card, and at the same time captured 30p to tape, them imported through 1394 port into Avid Liquid. The difference is very noticeable. I posted a mp4 file, because of file bandwidth issues, to show people what they can expect to get out of this combination. Even the HDV portion of the mp4 has more resolution then the analog component capture.

http://www.portstanleynews.com/TV/JVCTest.mp4

I will do another test with a Canon HV20 to check the difference of HDV vs HDMI
As several of us have been discussing on a JVC thread, Doug's results would seem to suggest that analog via Blackmagic does not yield good results.

How this info relates to the capabilities of the BM A to D chip I have no idea.

No idea if this is a camera related issue or a BM related issue or what. BM never responded to any questions on the subject.

Might be great, might not.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That footage captured analog component Originally Posted by Doug Harvey is bad . If this is what I can expect of this combination, I will keep my money. Does anyone have any other samples, good or bad of this combination? That way I can Identify if it's the setup or the operator. ( no disrespect to Doug). I would hate to base my decision on one example.
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Maybe you'd have more luck getting an answer from BM than Bill Ravens and I have had.

Of course there could be a million reasons, like noise on the cables, connector issues, bad D to A in the camera, - or bad A to D in the card. Or any combination of the above All of these seem a tad unlikely, but it has to be due to something.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I finally got a reply from BlackMagic

They said that so far as they know their A to D should produce excellent results and they seem really surprised that there might be an issue with it. They also said that in their experience good cameras have excellent D to A and they really doubt that that's the issue.

So the plot thickens.

Oh where oh where has the quality gone, oh where oh where can it be? With it's price quite high and it's output so short, oh bring back the answer to me.

Or something like that:<))
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Watkins View Post
That footage captured analog component Originally Posted by Doug Harvey is bad . If this is what I can expect of this combination, I will keep my money. Does anyone have any other samples, good or bad of this combination? That way I can Identify if it's the setup or the operator. ( no disrespect to Doug). I would hate to base my decision on one example.
I, too, would like to see more tests. Doug said he captured 1280x720p60 over analog component, but that means it was converted (on the fly?) from the native signal of 1920x1080 60i. Could it have been the interlace-to-60p? Or the down-rez? What codec and bitrate did he capture?
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I asked the guys at BlackMagic if they had any tests they could post - from any kind of decent camera. Haven't heard from them yet, though.

I think there are quite a few of us who would really like to know what's going on - it all seems so unlikely that quality would suffer so badly.
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
I asked the guys at BlackMagic if they had any tests they could post - from any kind of decent camera. Haven't heard from them yet, though.

I think there are quite a few of us who would really like to know what's going on - it all seems so unlikely that quality would suffer so badly.
I have in fact tested the Intensity Pro over component a couple of months ago - this was from a a Sony Z1E cam. This was an engineering test so I wasn't looking for PQ specifically. I don't have any clips to show, but it didn't look bad, just a bit softer compared to a HDMI source.
Alex Maranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just received my Intensity Pro and installed it. I then connected my XH A1 (PAL) with the component cable.... The BM Capture Tool didnīt get a Signal, neither did Premiere Pro 2. I tried a while but it wouldnīt work.
If you guys could help me with that i could then upload some images captured via component.

Some more Infos:
got the latest Intensity driver of the BM page.
My System:
Core 2 Extreme
Asus P5B Deluxe
2GB Ram
7900 GT 512MB
loads of HD Space
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #14
Major Player

I own the big brother, the Decklink HD Extreme.. component captured fine - turned the camera on, plugged in the cables to the camera, to the computer, voila.. computer saw it.

Had to tinker with settings on the computer's end (specifiy what the signal was, etc) but it worked. It was in April, so I can't really tell you what I did - too long ago - but it worked. The Intensity Pro should/will too.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
I own the big brother, the Decklink HD Extreme.. component captured fine - turned the camera on, plugged in the cables to the camera, to the computer, voila.. computer saw it.

Had to tinker with settings on the computer's end (specifiy what the signal was, etc) but it worked. It was in April, so I can't really tell you what I did - too long ago - but it worked. The Intensity Pro should/will too.

That sounds good, but actually I didnīt find a menu where I could specify the Signal....or if it should use component or HDMI as Input.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition