Modest Price Hypercardoid mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Modest Price Hypercardoid mic

I was watching Ty's Video and reading other materials online and have come to understand that a hypercardoid mic might make more sense then a shotgun when shooting indoors in houses and other locations with 8 - 9 ft ceilings.

I know the Shoeps is preferd, but at over a grand its way out of my price range. It there anything in the Sub $500 catagory that would outpreform the AT4073a for indor work when used 1 - 3 ft range from the talent.
David Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've been using the AKG SE300/CK93 for quite a while and have been extremely pleased with it's performance. Not to mention you can change the capsule (CK93) to a caroid capsule so you've got 2 mics in 1 body. Not to say you don't have to buy the 2 capsules seperatly though.

IIRC I think the 300/93 combo was about $500 when I got it perhaps it was a bit less.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The Russian built Oktava MK012 is a low cost favourite. There is a reputation of quality control issues, but most vendors know to do their own tests before reselling. Most.

I got mine from Thomann (I'm in the UK):
http://www.thomann.de/gb/oktava_mk01...ormikrofon.htm
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would not recommend the Oktava MK 012 01 for just the very reason stated by Mike. My Oktava lasted a very short time before it failed. Very low signal.I have sent it back for repair and I am afraid I am out of luck. Don't make the same mistake I did, purchased a quality microphone, even if you have to spend a little more money. It will last you a long time.
D Kane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Kane View Post
I would not recommend the Oktava MK 012 01 for just the very reason stated by Mike. My Oktava lasted a very short time before it failed. Very low signal.I have sent it back for repair and I am afraid I am out of luck. Don't make the same mistake I did, purchased a quality microphone, even if you have to spend a little more money. It will last you a long time.
D Kane

And though I don't have direct experience to confirm or refute it, the Oktaka also has a reputation for being particularly sensitive to handling and wind noises. Even though they're more expensive, it's not THAT much more to go with an AKG or Audio Technica.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Major Player

I use an Audio-Technica 4053a hypercardioid, and I'm quite happy with it.

B&H sells it for about $400
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Octavas from the Sound Room have a very good reputation. I can also vouch for the Blueline (CK93).
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I bought my Oktava from the Sound Room. They do not answer their phone, nor do they return my messages. I am now dealing with the US importer directly.
D Kane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Sorry to hear. :(
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

David, I have experience only with modestly priced mics, so I don't know how my suggestion compares the higher-end ones, but I use a Rode NT3 hypercardioid indoors with good results.
Jim Schweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schweer View Post
David, I have experience only with modestly priced mics, so I don't know how my suggestion compares the higher-end ones, but I use a Rode NT3 hypercardioid indoors with good results.
NT-3 is a good mic and fine on a mic stand with boom arm but isn't it a bit heavy and cumbersome out on the end of a 10 foot pole hand held by a boom-op?
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Some experience

Hi all:

I concluded tests for an article I am writing specifically about short shotguns, hyper and supercardioid mics for video production. I just tested twelve mics, ranging in prices from $250.00 to $1,600.00. I just completed extensive recording with most of the mics mentioned on this thread and I have some observations...

1. If you want an Oktava, deal with the direct importer, www.oktavausa.com do not purchase from any other parties in the U.S. or you may get an inferior knock-off, defective unit, etc. I was impressed with the Oktava for the money, it's a very nice sounding unit. I tested with the cardioid and hyper cardioid capsules.

2. The most popular Schoeps designs including the CMC641 combo, sell for $1,600.00 so it's way over a grand. And worth it. I tested this mic as well as their new CMIT5 short shotgun and both are amazingly natural and detailed sounding. I will say this, out of all of the mics I tested, the Schoeps mics sounded the least colored and most accurate. As they should at those prices.

3. I learned that it's total insanity to buy a mic without using it and listening to it in person. Those of you that order mics based off of other people's recommendations on the web without hearing and using it your self are not getting the best mic for your situation. My article, when I complete it (it will be huge) will be very comprehensive and I recorded five different types of setups with each mic - male voice interior, on axis, male voice interior off axis, female voice interior on axis, handling noise test and male voice exterior on axis.

I learned that almost all of the mics on the market are capable of excellent sound. I learned that all have their individual strengths and weaknesses for certain situations. For instance, the Audio-Technica AT-4073a has much higher output than all eleven of the mics I used and can pickup detail from far distances better. But it's also more sibilant and may actually have too much detail and mouth noise from certain talent.

Cost is not always an indicator of quality. One of the most impressive mics I tested was Audio-Techinca's new AT-875R. It was also the cheapest mic I tested at $259.00. It sounded great, had low handling noise, is small and cheap. It, of course, didn't sound as good as the Schoeps and high-end Sennheisers but it sounded really good for the money.

Unfortunately AKG declined to participate in the test as did Neumann, so far. I may be able to get my hands on a KMR 82i after AES as well as a Sennheiser MKH-416. Other than that, I feel like we got a great cross section of the hyper, super and cardioid mics on the market. Keep an eye out for the article in the next four weeks over at www.kenstone.net

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You're right, Steve. The NT3 is heavy and fat. I use it on a stand.
Jim Schweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #14
Inner Circle

and not very natural sounding, relative to a Schoeps cmc641.

AT 4053a as suggested and Audix SCX-1 if you can't afford a Schoeps.

Please feel free to peruse the mic reviews in my On Line archive.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #15
Trustee

actually, if you want an Oktava, go to Oktavamod.com and get a modified version. this guy changes out the electronics for much better performance and worth the few extra dollars. 012 mod is my next mic purchase actually.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio