the best shotgun mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

the best shotgun mics

I have a question for you guys I've been looking around and I can't find a thread on the more professional shotgunmics. There are a lot about rode and the cheaper AT and sennheiser mics, but what mic would you use if you could pick any mic under 3000$ that has the same pattern as the sennheisser mkh-416?(which is the about the only more expensive mic that I see being mentioned here(and is one of the better ones i would like to hear more about))

I my self have a AT 4073 which is a very good mic even though I know the sennheiser mkh-416 is better. Is there a mic in the price range I mention above that is even better? Or could you recomend a kit that would be better allround (maybe two mics or three that together used wisely deliver better quality than the one mic I'm asking for:)They don't have to cost below 3000 together it's ok if the kit is more expensive). Also good to know is that my production company almost always works on location and not on a soundstage so I would appreciate it if your recomendations could take that into account. Also note that I said mics plural (I guess there are some candidates so please feel free to talk about your favourite (I don't want to start a long discussion based on two groups having there own favourite).

I'm going to be using them on proffesional productions so I'm only interested in the best mics even (under 3000, I know sky is the limit if you really want to spend money, if there is something close to that please mention them as well but if they are more expensive I would appreciate if you could mention the price also) though many of you are content with your lower end models and think they are really good I would really like to hear about the good stuff. There are endless posts about the other ones so I would appreciate if we could focus on the higher end models.
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sanken CS-3
Schoeps CMIT 5U
Neumann KMR81

Question though ... what are your criteria for "better?" What specifically properties are looking for that you don't have with the A/T mic or you are looking for more of in a mic than the 416 gives you? Are you locations mostly indoors or out? If you are generally in indoor locations, a hypercardioid such as the Schoeps CMC641 on a boom might serve you better than any of the shotguns.
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sanken CS-3e would be my choice (slightly newer version of the CS-3, I think they tweaked the pickup patter ever so slightly).
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I can second that, have been using CS-3e for some 6 months. Hard to imagine anything better what comes to midrange (pattern, not price) shtoguns.

And COS-11 is maybe the best lavalier...
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Haven't used the 416, but I know the CS3e seems to be its closest competitor. I've had a CS3e for a couple of years, and man, that is a miracle mic.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, It seems like the sanken can become a great companion. I read a review of it and it said that the sanken had great of axis isolation on both the high and low frequencies and and that it lessened the proximitieffect so it seems as the right mic for me. In the same review they said that the neuman and the schoeps were more quiet and better suited for a soundstage together with a highquality preamp. But for my purpose (I almost always record on location) the sanken seems perfect.

Does anyone know if it has a longer cousin that is even more narrow for those really hard noisy places?
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The CS3e is considered comparable to a long gun in terms of side rejection. I think you'd be looking at an MKH70 or maybe CK69 to do better. Even then, some people claim the CS3e has even more side rejection. I have no idea as I've never used those two mics either. The CS3e also handles interiors remarkably well. Only downside I've found is that it has a fair amount of self-noise. This is only evident if you have to boost the gain really high. No problem in a noisey enviroment, but in a quiet one it's deadly.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Teodor:

Perhaps a more option-laden choice would be to own and use multiple mics? There is no perfect mic for every situation. My suggestion would be to purchase the Schoeps and then perhaps the Sanken or some combination thereof.

I will be publishing a large review/test on shotguns in August, if you can wait. I will be testing/reviewing 10 different shotguns/super/hypercardioids and posting samples of each.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I've been reviewing mics, including shotguns for trade magazines for years. Most of thise reviews are in my On Line Archives.

I also have some sound comparison audio files.

Help yourself.

Were I to buy today, it'd be a CMIT. I already own a 416 and a 4073a.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Major Player

I am using Sanken CMS-10. Pretty good - has either mono or stereo that you can switch - depending on application. Easier to carry on location than two MKH-50 ... if you are recording in studio like environments (very quiet), MKH-50 are a much better bet. For longer reach, I use MKH-70.

Hi Ty Ford,
Where is the link to your online archives?
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Hi Ty Ford,
Where is the link to your online archives?
Here's the link for Ty's excellent reviews....

www.tyford.com

Enjoy.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:01 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Sam.

I have not reviewed the CMS-10.

TingSern, what are you looking for?

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM   #13
Major Player

Ty Ford,

I was looking for your weblink to your reviews. Sam has provided me with the link. But when I tried to go to your website, it was very slow.

Anyway, my feedback regarding CMS-10 is - to me, it is an excellent microphone to use on camera. The stereo image is good, considering the size of the microphone. Obviously, can't compare with one pair of MKH-50 when used in stereo recordings inside concert halls. But, when I am running for a shot, CMS-10 is the way to go. I would like to know how the CMS-10 compares with other microphones of its class. So, when you do a test of CMS-10, please let me know. Thank you.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #14
Trustee

I own the 416. All in all, it's the most fantastic mic I've used outdoors. It's also built extremely well and is very sturdy, which is often the biggest difference in cheaper vs. pro equipment. Indoors though, it can be a disaster.

However, you'd be surprised how much of a difference the quality of XLR cable you use can make too. I think it's commonly overlooked to not buy high-quality cable to match the high-quality mic on the end of it.
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Major Player

So, where do you get high quality XLR cable? What brand?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio