I still film paintballl... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Major Player

I still film paintballl...

Using an FX7 and a $400 friction-head and 30 minutes in Vegas 8... you get this...

http://www.lousyhero.com/videos/epicprev.wmv

I'm going to be working for www.monkey-with-a-gun.com next year hopefully... Maybe move up to a Panasonic HPX500 if he goes HD next year...

Regardless, short clip, some cool shots... thought I'd share :)
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Major Player

That was hot!

Dude, this is a hot video. I used to play paintball a lot. It's much better in slow-mo and with some hot 90's alternative playing. I like the close up of someone seeming to shoot at the camera, then you pull back and his intended target comes into focus in the foreground(sp?).

Nice job.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Trustee

I stopped playback about ten seconds in because I thought there was something wrong with the file or my media player. After monkeying around for a minute I moved the playback pointer further along the timeline and it looked okay. The first note of music doesn't start until 12 seconds which adds to the confusion.

Other than the confusing start, I really like your videos. Even though the FX7/V1 doesn't work in HD at high framerate, the great color is still there. Obviously, the impact of seeing all the shots happen is fantastic. Your camera work is perfect for the subject matter.

I have a question. Have you or your camera taken a hit?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Major Player

It gets shot a lot ;)

I don't think Sony was happy after the first time I sent it for repair, wasn't from paintball either, the tripod fell over and the LCD hinge cracked and the LCD eventually fell off, the microphone got shot but still worked, the day after I got the camera back from sony, I filmed again and it got shot in the microphone... again... haha...

The sound does play almost right away, it's quiet for 1-2 seconds, you need high quality sound that has more range. It's pretty quiet, you're the 2nd person who said that but I understand.

And the footage was desaturated 75% and had some levels adjusted to it.

And that wasn't high-framerate, that's all post-production slow-motion... that's all 60i

http://www.lousyheros.com/videos/xpslslo.wmv <--- that' is the "smooth slow motion" which is 1/4 HD resolution... (I didn't know that until I shot all of that)

http://www.lousyheros.com/pics/pod1.jpg
http://www.lousyheros.com/pics/pod2.jpg

(Cleaning my tripod after an event)
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Joe, That looks great. Just Gerat!

Terry
Terry Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Really liked the look you got going there... the coloring was really cool. Ditto to Will's comment about the pull-back shot, that really worked well. Dude, you got skillzzz!
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM   #7
Trustee

That poor tripod...

Do you use something like square resin clear filters that you can remove quickly after a hit? Also, do you care to share your formula for post slow motion? I think you have it just about as good as possible without overcranking. I figure you use 60i and a fast shutter speed, but how about software and other nitty gritty stuff.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Just Vegas 8... It's always done a decent job at slow-motion for me.. You right click a clip and choose "properties" and change the playback rate to 50 or 25, I think it does a better job at 50 and 25 than more obscure numbers. And I think Vegas 8 is doing a better job than Vegas 7 did...

The beginning is 25% slow motion, it gave a sort of flickering effect which worked with the start of the music... the rest of the slow-motion was 50%

And that was a 0% brightness fade to 100% brightness (or normal) instead of fade through black... this let certain parts shine through before the rest, instead of a black overlay... at the beginning atleast.

And I use a plain UV Filter, If it gets hit I'm out of commission for 3-5 minutes until I clean it off, spit + microfiber towel + t-shirt until it's cleaned good enough :) Usually by then the game is over anyways.

It's all 1080 60i @ 1/1000 shutter, the f-stop was between 4 and 5.6 depending on the lighting...

I did some basic levels correction and then 75% desaturation for all the clips.

And the tripod was much much worse at the event, it turned orange essentially... I cleaned most of the outside off at the event with towels and water... I still haven't cleaned it from last weekend ;) I played for 5-6 years before I started filming more seriously, and I get shot a lot more filming than I did playing...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM   #9
Trustee

Maybe you should try hanging a tarp in front of your tripod. I'm guessing the paint is fairly harmless, but it must be a pain to clean up.

You might want to look into something like the Cokin P filter system that has cheap clear filters (~$20) that can be replaced in seconds. You could keep a bucket of soapy water to throw them in for cleaning between games. For about $15 for the holder, $10 for their plastic "hood", and $20 for each filter; you won't feel bad about trashing the filter system instead of your camera. To keep paint out of your microphone, you might want to cover it with foam. The foam will soak up the paint before it goes into the camera and there will be a negligent effect on the audio with just a piece of foam. You could mount it with velcro and bring extras that you pop on after a hit.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Wrangler

Nice clips.

I produced a couple feature length paintball videos years ago. You did a good job.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Nice clips.

I produced a couple feature length paintball videos years ago. You did a good job.
What were those? Just curious cause there hasn't been that many paintball videos... and I know most of the guys who made the ones out in the past 5-6 years...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Also, do you care to share your formula for post slow motion? I think you have it just about as good as possible without overcranking. I figure you use 60i and a fast shutter speed, but how about software and other nitty gritty stuff.
60i and fast shutter speed works really well to start. There is a plug-in for After Effects called "Twixtor" that produces amazing quality slow motion. At NAB, Chris Meyer did a little presentation about post production slow motion in video, and for the life of me, I can't remember the names, but he spoke of two specific types of processes (software) that could produce slo-mo, each with its own benefits. One issue is that sometimes objects that are moving past other objects in the frame can start to get blended together by the software as it attempts to slow the video down.

Obviously watching Joe's trailer, Vegas does a heck of a job with slow motion.
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:21 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
What were those? Just curious cause there hasn't been that many paintball videos... and I know most of the guys who made the ones out in the past 5-6 years...
A set for a series of tournaments in British Columbia.

I thought of making more, but frankly, paintball is boring as hell to watch and there's barely any money in it. :)
(I say that as a partially sponsored player, with 3 Angels, a Matrix, 3 Cockers, and a Shocker).
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
paintball is boring as hell to watch and there's barely any money in it. :)
You're watching the wrong kind of paintball, and filming it for the wrong reasons ;)
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

looks good nice CC, lol at how much "ammo" the first guy loses diving on the floor...

Russ
Russell Pearce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work