Manfrotto 521 controller issues w/ V1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manfrotto 521 controller issues w/ V1U

I have a Manfrotto 521 Lanc Controller that is shutting down my V1U during use...right in the middle of recording. Usually takes about a minute and a half, but no matter what I am doing, it will shut down the camera. Not something I like to see out of a 200 dollar controller.
Has anyone else had this issue or know how to get around it? Thanks
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, unfortunately I have had the same experience as you. I even tried upgrading to the Manfrotto 521 PRO. I called my supplier who checked it out for me and it turned out it is not compatible with the V1 at all.

I returned it for a full refund.

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Jeff, if you're looking for an alternative - I use the Bebob Zoe DVXL with my V1E and it works perfectly, with no power off issues. It's around $240 at B&H.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This problem is of two-fold nature:

- Manfrotto are aware of it and offer an update (at least in Europe)
- Sony V1 has been reported on having problems even with Sony's own lanc controllers, and a firmware update has been issued addressing it. It also fixes the low audio problem.

Now, I really don't know whether it's enough to have the V1 updated in order for it to work with Manfrotto, or if you have to update both devices' firmware - but I'd start with the camera, as it's supposed to have fixed a couple of issues at once.

In Europe, the update has been probably included in the infamous 25p "oil paint effect" problem fix, as my second V1E unit (bought in May 2007) has fine audio; it also works with all Manfrotto controllers (but I know they were updated, as well).
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr

Looking for the firmware on V1 audio fix, do you have the link?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Please look into this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=105432

I also remember seeing a more official confirmation of the firmware update somewhere on the Sony USA website, but don't remeber now.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Trustee

I am also thinking of buying the Manfrotto 521 Controller to use with my FX7 Camcorder. Does anyone have a problem with FX7 and 521?

Stelios
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #8
New Boot

Manfrotto 521 lanc

I had the same problem with 521 and the 521 pro lanc control on my V1E,
I now have the new model 521, and its works perfectly.
On the box its says, 521SB compatible.
Richard Downes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Downes View Post
I had the same problem with 521 and the 521 pro lanc control on my V1E,
I now have the new model 521, and its works perfectly.
On the box its says, 521SB compatible.
Richard
521SB is the Split Box. What is the serial number on the 521? Because I am planning to buy one for my FX7 and I want to make sure that its the new model.

Stelios
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Jeff have alook at the Manfrotto 523pro I have one of these for my XHA1 and it works fine I know that your not using Canon but this is supposed to work with both canon and Sony.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #11
New Boot

521 Lanc

The Serial no is 014487, this is the number on the control unit.
Richard Downes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #12
New Boot

Hi Stelios,

I can't tell my 521 serial number right now because mine is stuck on my distributor waiting for me to go and pay for the revision update - on which I'm digging to avoid it...

Unfortunately my controller was not compatible with my FX7 (altough I never had any problems with FX1) so I delivered it on my distributor to fix it. Guess what, they want me to pay for making it work.

It is likely however that new controllers might come with this new revision and there should not be any problems. I just do not know how can some confirm revision. But be warned anyway, I bought mine June 2007 and they are trying to charge me for putting it to work...sounds ridiculous I know..

Regards,
Nelson
Nelson Gameiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #13
Trustee

[QUOTE=Nelson Gameiro;803069]...Unfortunately my controller was not compatible with my FX7 (although I never had any problems with FX1)...QUOTE]

Nelson thanks for the info. Now when you said that it was not compatible with your FX7, does it mean that it was not working at all or some features were working and others not?

and yes I agree with you that they shouldn't charge you for the upgrade. It will also be nice to let us know what was your serial number when and if you get it back.

Stelios
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #14
Regular Crew

My V1E had problems with the following lanc controllers until it was fixed by Sony Prime Support last June.

Sony RM-1BP, Manfrotto 521 and a Beebob Zoe

Initially I had purchased the Sony RM-1BP lanc controller to be sure of compatibility with the V1E since this lanc was shown next to the V1E as the "matching lanc" on my suppliers web site, (genuine Sony dealer here in the UK).

It didn't work properly, starting from full wide or full zoom one could only get a slow zoom once, any further attempts would see the zoom go off at full speed regardless until I powered down and restarted over. I sent the lanc back and the supplier sent me another plus two more lancs to try, a Manfrotto 521 and a Beebob Zoe and they did the same thing. Meanwhile they tested the one I returned on a brand new V1E in their shop informed me it worked just fine so it seemed the lanc controller was not at fault.

So now confident it was the cam at fault and not the lancs, I sent the cam to Sony Prime Support, I also sent the RM-1BP with it so they could see the fault.

Despite taking pains to detail this problem so that it should be obvious, amazingly they sent the cam back saying there was no fault with it.

In the meantime I spoke with a tech guy at Manfrotto UK from who I learnt about the issue with the 521 and 521 Pro lancs on the V1E, which they were having to modify for this "switching off" issue, though I got the impression this was not their fault but something to do with the 25P firmware fix that Sony came up earlier in the year that had "changed things".

I was in a quandary, knowing there was some problem with the Manfrotto lanc but not the problem I was experiencing and having no success at all in getting a workable lanc controller I eventually sent my V1E back to my supplier, who in turn sent it back to Prime Support (again)

Here is the rub for me, Sony now said they have seen the fault, gosh! I wonder why now - and not before?

..anyway they fixed it! Ha!

The repair advice note from them read "a service bulletin has been issued for this problem, but the parts are superseded to the ones required for the new edge crop modification, so in addition to the LANC problem the edge crop modification has also been done. Performed functional check including test with remote, all to specs."

The cam was returned to me and my supplier asked me which of the three lanc controllers I would like to keep, I chose the Sony as it suited my needs best and now works perfectly.

Despite the hurdle, I love this camera.
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #15
New Boot

Stelios,

as for camera operation, everything worked fine with the controller except that ocassionally it would shut the camera down when I pressed the record button!%€@§!! Not very good for event shooting... :S

Claire,

thanks for the info. I'm trying to contact my camera supplier to ask on a how to firmware upgrade. Do you know if it is something that one can do at home via USB or MemoryStick?

Thanks,
Regards,
Nelson
Nelson Gameiro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7