FX1 Shoe Mount Replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 Shoe Mount Replacement

I'm looking for a cheap replacement for the shoe mount and all I came across was this:

http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/fx1-flat

At $39.99 plus shipping I don't consider it very cheap. Is there any other alternatives? I just want to mount my HVL-20DW2 to my FX1. Looking to spend $20 or less shipped. Is that to much to ask for?
Jimmy Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm amazed at the price! Ignoring HOW they can justify the price, why would anyone want one?

Is it just because you've lost it, or is it something else?
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Coulson View Post
I'm amazed at the price! Ignoring HOW they can justify the price, why would anyone want one?

Is it just because you've lost it, or is it something else?
Hi, I'm the one that makes these parts.

You just about nailed it on the head, maybe without realizing it. There isn't a huge need for it, so it's not a high volume product. I had a few requests for a replacement, a few broke theirs, a few others lost theirs so I decided to offer a substitute. According to another thread in this very forum, Sony's replacement part is $77.

My FX1-FLAT is also made from a piece of solid aluminum, not mostly plastic like the original was. I'm sorry the price seems high to you, but I don't use far-east labor to make these parts, and they were made in a very small run.

I do have something else that will work, in the form of the BOT-FLAT, which is half the cost of FX1-FLAT. It works well for this use but it doesn't extend out front a couple inches like the original one or the FX1-FLAT does.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I didn't mean to say it was a crazy price or anything just not affordable enough for a student like me. Your product does sound very high quality. I know Sony prices there replacement at double the price and that is just extortion. I bought my camera used after waiting around for a very good deal and it did not come with an adapter. I just purchased the BOT-FLAT from you. Thank you for the recommendation.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Received the part fast. It works like a charm. For others interested in the BLOT-FLAT is does work but I think the reason Sony has theirs out two inches is so that it doesn't get in the way of the flip out screen. But I'd rather save the extra and flip the screen out before mounting the light. I would recommend this seller!
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #6
New Boot

Shoe Mount Replacement

It's affordable but it's all plastic very dangerous for the Wedding business when you are removing the lights and attachments often.
Chances increase of the plastic cracking.
The original equipment is metal.
Fred Todisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Todisco View Post
It's affordable but it's all plastic very dangerous for the Wedding business when you are removing the lights and attachments often.
Chances increase of the plastic cracking.
The original equipment is metal.
The substitute is not plastic. It is solid metal with a powder coated surface, which makes it look like plastic, but it isn't.

The original equipment has metal, but I don't know if it is all metal. The original can be broken, a customer emailed me the attached picture of a broken Sony shoe mount for the FX1. I don't know how that happened though.
Attached Images

Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Not sure if this thread is even still relevant, but I bought one of Jeff's adapters and it is far superior than the original. Mine broke as I was running in and out of a car shooting some stand ups and the shotgun mic got snagged and snapped right off. Like I said, jeff's product is far better than the Sony and at half the price.
Lorne Mathre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Considering they are short production runs, plus they need to be finished in black, as a former prototype aerospace machinist, I don't see how they can make any $ at that ridiculously low price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1