Shooting in the rainforest at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Shooting in the rainforest

My team and I have been asked to put a proposal together for shooting a doc in Papua new guinea in the rainforest.

I have two z1s but am unsure how they will stand up to the hot and damp climate, we will be there for two maybe three weeks.

Can anyone put me in touch with someone who has shot in similar conditions or have any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Darren Teale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah, the Z1, the best investment I ever made, shooting in Siberia at -30degrees as well in Amazonia at +40degrees, never had one failure.
In the rainforrest there are two moments when you should keep an eye at your cameras, itīs when the sun goes down and early in the morning, then the air becomes pretty wet because of the difference of temperature.
When we slept over the night in the wilderness I just put my 2 Z1s in a light fabricbag and hang it on a tree to keep away the moisture and simultaneously have the same temperature as the air. The only moment where I had a problem with a damped lens was early in the morning when we made a fire and I was to close to it. (my fault)
Otherwise treat you cameras as every sensitive elektronic equipment like not to long in directly sun...and so on, than you are on the safe side with your Z1s...

good luck
Alex Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Although I don't have any direct rain forest experience I would think that placing the camera in a ziplock with a couple of "moisture munchers" to absorb any moisture on the camera would help dry it out. They are little pouches containing Silica Gel , like the ones that come in the boxes with new camera gear. Much larger bags can be purchased for an assignment like this. I keep a couple in the cases that I store gear that I am not using.

Silica gel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A quick google search will give you many suppliers.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have done lots of rainforests, three to five weeks at a time. Sometimes had minor technical problems, never a total failure. Some general rules, tested by others and me:

Always keep camcorder overnight in watertight bag, with silica gel. One silica gel pouch lasts less than a week in rainforest conditions so bag enough those. In the morning, before taking the camcorder out, let it run for a while, to warm up - water condenses onto surfaces colder than the surrounding air (also inside the camcorder).

If moisture gets into them camcorders, the best way to dry them up would be to take them for a flight in an airplane, the air is extremely dry up there - I have tried this :-)

You should be fine for a few weeks - much longer times would allow mold grow inside the camcorder.
Jyrki Hokkanen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1