The Art of War at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Major Player

The Art of War

Greetings, after receiving my Sony ex1 I’ve been playing around with some of it’s different functions and decided to try and make a short by just using the lens in the macro setting. It’s just a little mess around using toy soldiers and a fake set I bodged together on the edge of my pc table (sand has gone everywhere) and decided I’d post the results seeing as I haven’t seen much macro footage from the ex1 online and thought it may be of interest to someone.

Anyway if you can, check it out and I hope you enjoy. This is my first time posting a video here, so errrm’ be easy on me ;) but please feel free to comment!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/824568
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Amazing the DOF you get out of that macro setting and the audio and music really make it work as a short. Good lighting too. I very much enjoyed it!
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks bryan. Glad you enjoyed it
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander View Post
Thanks bryan. Glad you enjoyed it
This was just amazing! Very good work.

It’s just a little mess around using toy soldiers... Man, the day you do some serious work, I'll like to see it!

And it's great to see how the deeper DOF of the 1/2" sensors makes the macro shots less "artificial" than they would look with larger sensor/film sizes. I was thinking in the special FX guys, when they had to shot scale models and make them look real, it was such a pain to have everything in focus with 35mm film cameras... had to work with not so small models, and HUGE amounts of light to stop down and increase DOF... I bet they would have enjoyed working with a little toy like the EX1 rather than the big Panavision or Mitchell cameras!
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Major Player

David, much appreciated for the kind comments. The 1/2" sensors really make a difference, i'm still amazed at the dof i can get from this camera especially as i've only recently upgraded from a sony vx2100. Im glad you enjoyed it, thanks again.
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Daniel:
David suggeseted I copy to you a post I put on the EX1 main forum:

I have been using the macro but do not feel I'm really using it right. I'm never sure at what distances it works. There seems to be a large distance between where regular focus ends and macro begins. I'm never sure at what zoom I should be and I find focusing with either MF or AF difficult.

Can someone give a short macro primer.

Thanks
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Michael, I had a look at your original post and the feedback you got and its pretty much solid advice as i can see. The video that i produced was the first time in my life i've ever used the macro function, so maybe some of the other guys are better equipped to answer. However what works for me personally is to frame my object by getting as close to it as i need to whilst the lens is in full wide (and in some cases zooming in more to get the desired composition), then i adjust my focus to be sharp on my target as much as possible and then slightly zoom in or out until the focus is very sharp (i always use expanded focus in this stage).

Just be very careful if filming moving objects in this mode as even the smallest move forward or backwards of the subject will cause you to lose focus which means you will have to compensate quickly.

Also removing the lens hood is a good idea SOMETIMES!!!, as it will allow more light in, as you will find when you have your camera so close to an object, if your light source is limited and behind you, you could in fact be blocking the majority of it out causing your target to look like a silhouette. I put 'sometimes' in capitals because you have to be careful of what your shooting and having your lens so close to it. I was filming scenes with sand in and i dont know about you but having my glass near enough touching sand isn’t something i fancied doing and so in my particular case i kept my lens hood on.

I hope this helps
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great advice Daniel, and made me realize I didnt even think of taking off the hood when I was shooting my Pasquini vid, spent much more time juggling lights than I needta.

Sometimes the oblivious escapes me. =)

- Ray
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Major Player

sometimes i'm the same Ray, im so focused on complex tasks that the simple solutions usually get overlooked hehe. Oh and on a side note, i showed a few people 'a parody of me' and they really like it, we would really like to see more films from you.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks man, hoping sooner or later I can run across the source files for that so I can have a better version. Right now were trying to get my one feature "For Love & Stacie" out there, cross your fingers. =)

- Ray
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Very nice. I've toyed with idea of using...um toys too.

Was the Halo 3 commercials your inspiration. Its quite similar.
Cool video.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Tom, there was no real inspiration really other than finding some toy soldiers brand new in my nephews toy box and thought it would be a perfect chance to play around with macro (i feel bad as he's still looking for them). Thanks for checking the vid out tho, i'm just working on a short film at the mo with real people lol so should have more to post soon.
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Are you going to do any stopmotion with the EX1? One of the reasons I bought mine was to start doing stopmotion again after years of talking about it. Lego was my favorite for this. You can build any sets to any any camera angle. Heres one I did in my last year of Highschool. using Canon 1014xls super8.
http://www.vimeo.com/771418
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #14
Major Player

That was amazing, i loved it. Let us know when you make part 2 with the ex1. I haven't done stop motion myself but may have to give it a try after watching that.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks. It's never been easier to get into stopmotion than now with this camera. Take it to the next level..Fully articulated GI.Joe figures perhaps.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds