Avid patch for full EX1 support released? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Avid patch for full EX1 support released?

I have been hearing rumours for a while about a working beta-patch for the Avid Media composer that accepts not only 25 mbit XDCAM EX-files but also 35 mbit-files. Today I read an e-mail with official confirmation from Avid Sweden that the CPR-patch was released yesterday (friday) and will be uploaded by Avid here in the next couple of days:

http://www.avid.com/onlinesupport/downloadcpr.asp

Has anyone else heard anything to confirm this? Since it now seems to be official IŽd be very interested in what your Avid contacts tell you if you ask about this...

/ola
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Ola, this is wonderful news. Hoping, like you, to have it confirmed soon.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Read this,the part about clip browser 2.
There's something about Avid and 35mbs.

http://dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=174

paul.
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's what I just read about the new Clip Browser:

"Clip Browser version 2 also allows direct import into AVID systems at full 35mbps in MXF format, something currently not available natively with AVID systems"

!!!
Malcolm
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Major Player

I hope I'm not celebrating too soon. I just realized this Clip Browser update (and the "direct import into Avid systems") might only be for PCs.

Does anyone know whether the new Clip Browser will work for us Mac users?
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Major Player

just heard from an Avid editor that he thinks the Sony Clip Browser 2 update (that "allows direct import into AVID systems at full 35mbps in MXF format") is PC only.
Can anyone corroborate?
Malcolm
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
just heard from an Avid editor that he thinks the Sony Clip Browser 2 update (that "allows direct import into AVID systems at full 35mbps in MXF format") is PC only.
Can anyone corroborate?
Malcolm

This might be so but I believe that the Avid release (rumoured to be named 2.8.2) makes 35 mbps-imports possible and Avid usually gives both the mac and pc version the same features (with some exceptions). The Sony solution is probably not dependent on the Avid solution and the other way around. In short - Mac users should be helped with the Avid release coming shortly. I am guessing...
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Ola,
Thanks for making this very good point.
I have just heard, on another forum, that "The new Sony clip browser also works on a Mac so Avid on a mac is good to go", but I won't really truly believe this until I see it on Sony's web site, or have it confirmed by a user.
But you're right about Avid perhaps taking care of things with the hoped-for update.
I have been warned, though, that this particular Avid update (for the EX) might not happen. I'm sure hoping it does. It's funny... I guess the Avid/Mac/Sony EX group is a small (or quiet) one. I seem to be the only one worrying about this. Are you a Mac user?
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
It's funny... I guess the Avid/Mac/Sony EX group is a small (or quiet) one. I seem to be the only one worrying about this. Are you a Mac user?
Cheers,
Malcolm
Sorry mate! I'm on a PC. However, I sympathise with you. On this forum being a non FCP-user equals being part of a minority. A new feeling for a PC- and Avid-user. ;-)
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Major Player

I think the EX1 has increased sales of MBP and FCP all because Avid and Sony could not get their act together for the launch.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #11
New Boot

Avid support for the EX1 codec is great news!

It's really frustrating to have a Media Composer at home that's gathering dust while I'm trying to learn FCP to get work done.

Jac
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Chesson View Post
Avid support for the EX1 codec is great news!

It's really frustrating to have a Media Composer at home that's gathering dust while I'm trying to learn FCP to get work done.

Jac
I have been using my Media Composer since december with the EX1 using the XDCAM EX to Avid software made by someone called Brad to convert the MP4-files to DNxHD. Still - this update will give me a much better workflow...

Still waiting for it to show up on Avids site though... If any of you lucky people who are in Vegas get a chance to talk to Avid tomorrow I'd be very interested to get another confirmation on the release.
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #13
New Boot

Talked to Avid, and Xpress Pro 5.8.3 is coming for download any day now, and will support 35 Mb/s. Suppose this means should also come support for Media composer, will get back when I hear more details.
Fredrik Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Fredrik,
It was my understanding that Avid isn't going to be upgrading Xpress Pro any more... we Avid editors are going to have to upgrade to Media Composer for Leopard compatibility and EX1 codec compatibility, etc. etc.
Malcolm
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Major Player

Just got off the phone with Avid Sweden and was told that 2.8.3 had gone GOLD today. He was downloading it as we were speaking and will send it to me using Digidelivery today or tomorrow. It will also be up on Avids site "shortly".
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds