FCP slo-mo VS Vegas slo-mo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 8th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #1
Wrangler

FCP slo-mo VS Vegas slo-mo

RE: Spot's post on the Sony forums- he did a test in B&H today where he took the same ArtBeats clip in both Vegas 5 and Final Cut Pro and slowed them both down to 20% speed...to test the interpolating quality. Apparently Vegas beat out FCP hands down. This intrigued me- I decided to do some tests of my own though I don't know how official they really are.

I took a clip I captured via Vegas (DV avi format) sent it to a friend who uses Final Cut Pro and asked him to slow it down 20% and return it to me. I did the same. Once I got his clip back (in quicktime format...settings equivalent to DVavi) I dropped them both on the timeline. Now I don't know if the interpolating quality is something that has to be judged on an external monitor- or if sending a Vegas Catpured DVavi to a Mac and having it converted to quicktime to be compatable in a Final Cut Pro interface will nullify any volidity of the experiment. Non the less here's what we came up with.....

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Laz...FCPvsVegas.mpg
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

funny coz some of my slow mos come out super smooth while other come out horrible and jittery

im tryin to work out why and even supersamplig is terrible..

any ideas??
im runnin gthe footage between 50 and 75% speed and its stutters so bad its driving me nuts
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

Change the monitor preview quality from "Preview" to either "Good" or "Best".
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

that doesnt do much, its the final render which is what i am refering to... sometimes its good other times its absolutely terrible
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #5
Wrangler

Have you tried rendering it at "best"?
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: FCP slo-mo VS Vegas slo-mo

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : ... Non the less here's what we came up with..... -->>>
So Vegas does beat FCP.

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Warden

Quote:
So Vegas does beat FCP.
It does in that limited example. But you'll find that the quality of the slow motion has a lot to do with choice of speeds and the type of footage used. Most serious FCP users use different plugins for motion effects, rather than the default FCP effect.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #8

Jeff,
I'm not gonna argue the point, a: because I also use FCP and b: because I know plugs are available for most things...but....there are also tools to improve most of the stock offerings in Vegas. Comparing Apples to apples, using the same original pjpeg footage from Artbeats, Vegas did much better frame interpolation. And that's the only way to do a fair test.
For purposes of my comparison, I did one better than Glen, I rendered to QT in Vegas as well, so the comparisons were exact.

I'm not trying to push the FCP vs Vegas thing, it's more that I'm pretty tired of the hype surrounding FCP that is in many extremes, just plain BS...It's a very good tool. But, it's missing a lot of great things because Apple is relying on third parties to build what they didn't do correctly in the first place.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

It's a very good tool. But, it's missing a lot of great things because Apple is relying on third parties to build what they didn't do correctly in the first place.

which is why i stopped using it when Vegas 2 came out ;)
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #10
Warden

Photoshop must be a terrible program, I use 10 to 15 different plugins daily. I guess I'll need to find new photo editing software.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

no far from it mate.. i understand the sarcasm LOL.. but for me the fact that i come from an audio background.. Vegas makes a Huge difference wit the way i visualise and create an edit.. also the way i work is alot more efficient, but everyone is different..

THese are tools, and im jsut greatful that theyre always improving..

I jsut wish vegas had afew more plugins!!
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #12
Warden

Ah, so maybe the greatness of a program can help be determined by the number of individuals and companies willing to invest the time and effort to write plugins. If this is true, than maybe Photoshop isn't so bad after all.

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:24 AM   #13
Inner Circle

ROFLMAO youre evil dude! LOL
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #14
Wrangler

Those Mac people are a firey bunch. :)
Old June 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #15

I wonder how many companies (several) that Adobe has put out of biz because they realize the necessity of workflow that many plugs provide, and so they eventually add those features to their arsenal of tools.
While plugs may or may not determine the value of a tool, and were that the case, Vegas would be at the bottom of the heap, you'd think that for something as absolutely basic as slo-mo, no one would EVER have to write a plug. Might as well write a plug for something silly like...fade in/fade out.
A WHOLE lot fewer plugs for Photoshop these days compared to 4 years ago. Wonder why?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...