Black Hawk Down look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 20th, 2002, 05:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Black Hawk Down look?

How can you achieve the BHD look?
Camera settings? Software? Filters?
blugill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 11:34 PM   #2
Major Player

well Black Hawk has several different "looks" depending upon the location, etc. As far as DV goes, i think its easier to create this style of imagery in post. Im not sure if its a good practice, but it works for me...i've fallen in to the habit of shooting manual with the camera, just worrying about the focus, depth of field, light levels etc....coloring i do purely in the edit bay.

This also ensures that you wont be screwing up any footage, as you have the standard DV image still on tape, and you can make as many different versions of a scene as you want.

How to emulate those looks exactly? well the recipe will differ depending upon the source imagery so there is no way to give any hard information here. My only advice would be to get the dvd, pause it on a frame you like, and just soak up the image, examine every detail...figure out the black level, how much saturation it has, if its tinted or shifted towards a certain color, etc.

A word of caution though, only change the look of a shot if it adds something to how the shot is perceived, or if it adds to the content or storyline. For example the BHD look in most cases is not appropriate for a romantic movie ;)

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 09:08 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks!
I understand more about the post stuff than the actual shooting.
So I had planned on your advice and shoot as clean as possible and paying attention to what you said (focus, etc.)
I am basically going to be a walking movie studio when my laptop gets here in late August.
I just got my Canon XL1s Friday, Boris RED, Avid 3.0 powerpack with the 3.5 upgrade, the laptop is a Alienware Area 51m so I can edit at *ahem* work *ahem* hehehe!
I want to do my first short all by myself, no actors but me, no anybody but me.
To me it makes sense that if I can't do it by myself to start why should I get anyone else involved and sell the whole lot.
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Pick up a copy of Cinefex magazine, issue #89, it's all about the Black Hawk Down look. Explains everything in detail.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:56 AM   #5
Major Player

I have the issue buried somewhere, but i seem to recall it saying that Idziak creates his own custom grad filters for a lot of the shots. Which accounts for a lot of the stylization of the film. Now that's a skill i'd like to learn!

Old July 21st, 2002, 08:18 PM   #6
New Boot

I've just installed Avid 3.5 today and started playing with the tutorial. I got a heavy solid red eyeball shot in the tutorial and messed with the color correction tools and got a near BHD look with it!
What a powerful tool!!!!!
It took a few minutes to get the controls down but once I had them it was easy!
Old July 26th, 2002, 06:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you watch the "extras" at the end of the DVD (BHD) they will walk you through how they shot most the scenes. The most interesting effect in my opinion was shot using a 45 degree shutter (I believe that was the angle they said???) which gave that slightly choppy effect which looks soooo cool!

too bad the XL1s doesnt have a button for that....

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 08:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Chris, you can achieve the same effect with a very fast "shutter speed" on a video camera. Film camera shutters are simply rotating discs, with a "pie peice" cut out of them at varying angles to expose the image. A 45 degree shutter simply means that the image is exposed for 12.5% of the shutters rotation.

Old July 27th, 2002, 08:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Casey, any particulars or just crank it up as fast as she will go? I guess what I am trying to say is, do you have to be panning or zoomed in, frame movie mode, etc?

I am gonna have to go try this now!
Old July 27th, 2002, 10:20 AM   #10
Major Player

just experiment to taste...i doubt you'd need to crank it as high as it'll go. no particulars or formulas...although i must say the effect works best on dirt-rocketing explosions =D but unless you're a pyrotechnics expert i wouldn't advise trying to film or make those.

i would personally use frame mode, other than that just try some different types of footage. obviously you need a good deal of motion in the shot to make the fast shutter speed apparent.

Old July 27th, 2002, 10:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Great! thanks for the info, now I just need to find something to try it out on.
Old August 6th, 2002, 12:24 AM   #12
Regular Crew

A lot of the same motion effects used in Black Hawk Down can also be seen in Gladiator's battle scenes. The big one at the beginning (especially shots without Russel Crowe in them -- the troops in the mud, etc) and the coliseum match with the tigers.

I think it works well with anything that's supposed to feel chaotic and hectic. Maybe even in a scene like the aftermath of a car accident. That wandering around, trying to get your bearings kinda feeling could be heightened pretty well with that. Though I've probably got car accident's on my mind because I just got in one a couple hours ago. (Don't worry, everyone's fine).

Anyway, just a thought.

-Shawn
Old August 7th, 2002, 09:10 AM   #13
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

> The most interesting effect in my opinion was shot using a 45 >degree shutter (I believe that was the angle they said???) >which gave that slightly choppy effect which looks soooo cool!
>too bad the XL1s doesnt have a button for that....

most film camera's have a 180 degree shutter =1/48 shutter speed .
90 degree shutter =1/100 shutter speed
45 degreeshutter = 1/200

you might try using around 1/200 or 1/250th shutter speed on the XL
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 11:40 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I will definitely give that a try! I just need to find something with that has an interesting motion to it... to capture the effect!

Chris
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:50 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by blugill69 : Thanks!
I understand more about the post stuff than the actual shooting.
So I had planned on your advice and shoot as clean as possible and paying attention to what you said (focus, etc.)
I am basically going to be a walking movie studio when my laptop gets here in late August.
I just got my Canon XL1s Friday, Boris RED, Avid 3.0 powerpack with the 3.5 upgrade, the laptop is a Alienware Area 51m so I can edit at *ahem* work *ahem* hehehe!
I want to do my first short all by myself, no actors but me, no anybody but me.
To me it makes sense that if I can't do it by myself to start why should I get anyone else involved and sell the whole lot. -->>>

Have you had a chance to work with Boris Red yet? I am looking for feedback on this product. It seems to be one heck of a package.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production