Black Hawk Down look? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 20th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Chris: For footage to play around with, anything fast, like the dirt explosions that were mentioned, would look good. However, it'd be more safe to play around with water splashes.

I have sat on my front porch and recorded rain splashes hitting wood, and was pleased with the results. As far as settings(using a GL2, by the way): Frame Mode, 1/300 shutter, almost full telephoto on the zoom
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #17
Regular Crew

you know, since then i have had some fun with very fast shutter speeds (water fountains are fun too). I have gotten some nice results in frame mode, its what i shoot everything in now... I have not shot anyting in normal "interlaced" mode in about a year.
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #18
Major Player

I hear ya. I got my camera a couple months back and haven't shot anything interlaced yet. I hear it isn't true progressive (supposedly does an interpolation type process on the fly, according to a technical article I read), but when you zoom in and examine each pixel to see that it isn't just duplicating fields, but instead giving distinct individual lines, I don't know what to call it, but I like it.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Re: Black Hawk Down look?

<<<-- Originally posted by blugill69 : How can you achieve the BHD look?
Camera settings? Software? Filters? -->>>

A litle late, I know:

"Filmic Warm
Takes the filmic look and warms the temperature up a bit to make the image feel more friendly and vibrant. "

Adobe has a plug-in that looks like it can make some nice imagery.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #20
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Shawn McBee : I think it works well with anything that's supposed to feel chaotic and hectic. Maybe even in a scene like the aftermath of a car accident. That wandering around, trying to get your bearings kinda feeling could be heightened pretty well with that. -->>>

Intersesting. I can see that effect working very well in that situation.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #21
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Ferrer : If you watch the "extras" at the end of the DVD (BHD) they will walk you through how they shot most the scenes. The most interesting effect in my opinion was shot using a 45 degree shutter (I believe that was the angle they said???) which gave that slightly choppy effect which looks soooo cool!

too bad the XL1s doesnt have a button for that....

Chris -->>>

Chris

Are you referring to the SPECIAL EDITION ? I have the originally released BHD, but have been debating on getting the SPECIAL EDITION for the "film school in a box" purpose. Is it worth it?
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production