Best City for a fledgling filmmaker..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best City for a fledgling filmmaker.....

Just wanted to take a poll and get people's thoughts.

Which cities do you guys feel are the best for people interested in making their own films? And why do you feel that way?
I'm looking for as much input as I can get.
I'm at a stage in my life right now where I can pretty much move anywhere, and I'm open to anything. I'd like to get as many different perspectives on this as possible, as I'm sure there is many cities and many reasons that I haven't yet considered. Thanks.

I live in the US, and don't have the means to move to another country, but for the purposes of discussion, I'd love to hear what suggestions people have about any city, anywhere.

Thanks.
Joel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ever since I saw Slacker way back when I thought Austin looked like a pretty cool city. Here's what Moviemaker says (it has Austin at #4 by the way): http://www.moviemaker.com/issues/49/top10_2003.html
Brack Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #3
Wrangler

1. Anywhere.
2. Los Angeles.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yo RKS. Have you seen the movie American Splendor about Harvey Pekar? It was filmed in Cleveland. Also, if you wanna film a cool movie in Cleveland let me make a suggestion- The Torso Killer. The serial killer who terrorized Cleveland during The Depression. I find it a pretty interesting case.
Old September 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hey, Brack, as fate would have it I happened to see it last year at Cannes with Harvey.

Two Cleveland filmmakers called the Russo Brothers (Welcome to Collinwood) recently won an Emmy for their Arrested Development pilot; they're also doing the new series LAX.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Harvey looks like he's nodding off in one of those pictures! That guy is a classic. I used to love him on Letterman.
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #7
Major Player

The sky's the limit!

With the advent of professional / semi-professional acquistion equipment and the affordability of some very powerful editing programs available to the Average Joe...there is NO best city in which to make it big.

You are only limited by your own imagination, so, take the leap and go for the gold!

Good luck, RB.
Old September 28th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I completely agree, Rick, so, I guess I should say, what cities do people feel have strong and/or developing film communities, filled with people willing to help each other out, and with good enthusiasm? Or, what cities or states are particularly kind to filmmakers, ie permits and grants, etc?
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I think a big factor is how much freedom you have to shoot without people getting uptight and cops hassling you. Small towns are probably better than big cities for this. Also, I think a lot of small towns have character that will make your location shoots seem fresh. It's pretty hard to find a surprising element in New York City. I'm not knocking the city, but we've seen every inch of it in movies and TV over the years. I don't know why people think they have to leave their home town to make a good movie. Stay where you are and put all the cash you save on screen.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #10
Wrangler

I hear Ciudad Acuna, Mexico is pretty good....
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Brack Craver : Here's what Moviemaker says (it has Austin at #4 by the way) -->>>

Interesting that you mention this. I just returned from my first visit to Austin a week ago (the highlight of which was lunch with Chris Hurd at Chuy's :-). I was reading the local paper and they had an article about filmmaking which said Austin is now considered the #1 city (perhaps this was US cities and not North America like the article you cite?). New York was #2 and Philadelphia was listed as #4. I don't recall #3... maybe San Francisco? I think the article was in the Sept 20 Austin paper.

Personally I don't know why any of this would matter a whole lot however. Seems like this would be a personal choice based on where you want to live, where you have friends, and other resources that are important in your own life...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Boyd,

The article Brack was citing was from 2003. The rankings you saw cited in the newspaper, were from the 2004 list. I searched online and apparently Moviemaker magazine has been doing this every year for the last four years. Boston was the #3 pick.

<<<<Personally I don't know why any of this would matter a whole lot however. Seems like this would be a personal choice based on where you want to live, where you have friends, and other resources that are important in your own life...>>>>

I agree with you to a degree, but certain communities have more film enthusiasts, more film productions, screenings, festivals, etc. Certain places are more forgiving in their permit fees, while others offer state grants. I agree that no matter where you are, you can make a film, whether on DV, 16mm, or 35mm. No city is necessarily "the" film city. However, if you want to be surrounded by people that are as passionate about movies as you are, than certain cities are more desirable than others. I guess you could say that you could find film-lovers in the middle of nowhere, but the chances of finding someone who shares YOUR particular tastes are much greater in a larger city, or in certain cities like Austin, which actively support film-making and film-watching.

I guess I'm looking for more suggestions like Austin, cities with very active film communities. Anyone have any more suggestions?
Old September 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #13
Wrangler

The good thing in New York City is the amazing quantity and quality of the people here. If you are spearheading the project, you'll never want for people at any level.

The bad thing?
three words: time, money, and space ... in any order you want ...
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I'd have to agree with the moviemakers ranking, and vote for their top choice, right here in Vancouver Canada. Great crews, good tax breaks, amazing talent, tons of equipment, and a real diverse location. If you want a setting of any kind it's within 1 hour of downtown. There's really no place like it.
Adrian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #15
Wrangler

Nah, Vancouver is so 2003. No one who's anyone shoots here anymore. It's all Prague now, baby.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production