Best City for a fledgling filmmaker..... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #46
Major Player

Michael,

I was able to secure a DVD of Blackwater Elegy for you if you're still interested in seeing it.

Wait a minute... wrong thread. D'oh.

Ummmm, shot on location in Lakeland, FL... Uhhh, so check out Central Florida's scene!

Sorry Mr. Hurd.
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #47
Wrangler

Heh, heh check your email.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #48
New Boot

Well I live in Urbandale Iowa (suburb of des moines) and i just moved here in January. This seems like a VERY nice place for a filmmaker. Not too many people to get in your way and bother you during shoots, you can easily find a place and be alone for your shoots, and if you want a more populated area, Des moines is a 5 minute drive away.

Of course Des Moines isn't anything compared to NY or LA. But it's a city and I'm sure you can get some nice shots there.

I lived in Boca Raton, Florida before. And I'll say this much, that place is perfect for ANYTHING.
Advil Dremali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #49
Major Player

Minneapolis-St. Paul. Good community, lots of talented crew members, reasonable cost of living, lots of venues for indy film, good funding base.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #50
Major Player

Whatever you do, stay away from Austin....
there are too many of us here already.
:)
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Also, when investigating the city, see what equipment rental houses there are. I live in Little Rock, AR, and there's nothing. No lights, no cameras, nothing. There are professional production houses, but they don't rent out equipment. I have to buy any equipment I use, which makes filmmaking difficult, because most of my budget is eaten by gear. I would rather rent at the fraction of the price, and get the best look and feel.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #52
MPS Digital Studios

Good point!

heath
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Boca was pretty nice. Glad I left Little Rock a long time ago though I've heard Eureka Springs has become quite the artist center. Arlington VA /DC area has a lot to offer, talent, rentals, post houses, beautiful countryside..
I'm about to find out what Germany has pretty soon.

Just hoping the JVC HD100E is about the same price as the US version.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse
Whatever you do, stay away from Austin....
there are too many of us here already.

Very funny...but not really. I spent 2 years in Austin and I did get that feeling from some people. I've never had so many unreturned calls/emails. Austin definitely has a little of that "we don't want everyone to move here" attitude. (Before I started visiting these boards, I think there were even some unreturned emails from some San Marcos guys...but I'm forgiving.)

Austin is a great city and has a hugely vibrant filmmaking community. I joke that everyone I met had a guitar in one hand and an XL1 in the other. There are a ton of groups there Reel Women, Digital Filmmaking Resource Group (which I founded w a partner), Austin Film Festival, SxSW, etc. Several good places to take classes including Austin Filmworks and Michael Morlan. Several websites including one I still have there: www.austinfilmmaker.com (I haven't promoted it much, so it's a little bare these days.)

So, yeah, make films anywhere, but the place in which you settle can definitely keep you motivated and inspired by it's support, people and resources. Places where a lot of indy films happen are great training grounds, so you have a better chance of getting talented actors and crew when you're ready to shoot your film. Getting experience people around you when you are taking on a new challenge is HUGE and very helpful.

Ultimately, Austin is a great place to do indy filmmaking...now, don't bother asking about how to make money doing it. The downside to having a huge group of broke people walking around with cameras...(I imagine L.A. is 100x worse and that is scary.)

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #55
Major Player

Austin definitely has a little of that "we don't want everyone to move here" attitude.

A friend of mine always says that everyone wants to be the last one to move to Austin. Very true.

Although, I was obviously being sarcastic when I said no one should move here.
There is a HUGE population of people who will tell you they want to make films, there are very few who are actually working on making films.

Anyone who is willing to bust their hump and do what it takes to get something on the screen is always welcome ... and there are never enough of those people around.

Getting experience people around you when you are taking on a new challenge is HUGE and very helpful.

Reminds me of something else a friend of mine once told me, "the easiest way to succeed is to surround yourself with people more talented than yourself."

Not sure if I agree with that literally, but the spirit makes sense.
And that's something you can do no matter what city you're in.

The great thing is, forums such as this one have made the world a much smaller place....and much larger at the same time. You know what I mean.
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #56
MPS Digital Studios

In L.A. there's work, good paying work. Same with NYC and other places. From what my friends tell me in Austin, it's a bunch of filmmakers, like me, that are making (or trying to make) movies and looking for work. Which makes the demand for work high and the supply low (like houses in my area). That's why I decided not to move to Austin.

And, as Dave Attell once said, people walk around Austin with their film on their head. <g>

Many local filmmakers in Palm Beach County (home of West Palm Beach, Boca Raton and more cities we've talked about), including me, are working hard to make this into the next hot indie filmmaking areas. We're growing by leaps and bounds!

heath
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #57
Major Player

I think the obvious and primary difference is that there usually isn't much money in the micro or non-budget indy movie scene. It's true that Austin is an awesome place for indy filmmaking, but like I said, don't plan on making money doing it. You'd better have another job lined up if moving there. Jobwise, I found it much more "closed" than the market I'm in now...Raleigh/Durham.

Again, great city, but tough to make a living doing certain occupations there.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Kevin, then you're not too far from Wilmington? I thought that was a great place for indie production.

Heath, I'll tell my son to keep an eye out for what you are doing. He is working overtime to get his first show on the air May 22 on the Sunshine network.
If you ever need to get some great underwater diving/fishing stuff, he would be a great resource, and after this weekend he will be living in Boca.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #59
Major Player

"It's true that Austin is an awesome place for indy filmmaking, but like I said, don't plan on making money doing it. You'd better have another job lined up if moving there. Jobwise, I found it much more "closed" than the market I'm in now...Raleigh/Durham."

It's true, I've been here for going on 10+ years now...
the number of people trying to make a living here either shooting or editing is really staggering, and because of that pretty much everyone knows someone who does that kind of work. The result of that is that most jobs wind up being 'referred' instead of 'applied for.'

I answer ads here and there when I see one that happens to fit.
But 99% of my work comes through word of mouth from a few key people that I've done work for or with. And, it took years of barely getting by to get to the point that I'm at today, where I actually feel decently secure in my position as a freelancer. But, now I'm doing pretty well, and the phone rings on it's own most of the time. It's a hard community to 'break into' jobwise, like you said, and actually make any money.

That's why I was only half way joking when I said 'dont' come to austin.'
I really don't think I could survive if one more editor moved into this city.
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #60
MPS Digital Studios

Come to Palm Beach County, Florida and make some movies!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production